Your favourite golf analyst/announcer?

DaveGolfer15

Reaction score
Handicap
8 (WHS)
Who’s your favourite? My #1 is Rich Beem, followed by Nick Faldo.

Scott Van Pelt. I've always appreciated him when he gets a chance to do the broadcasts.

Probably in the minority here, but I think Dottie Pepper is excellent.

My "mute" button for the most part. I do miss Peter Alliss.
Interesting you say Peter Alliss, I didn’t realise he got much (if any) air time in USA when he was around? Or have you lived in UK? 😊

I always appreciate what Dottie Pepper has to say, but there are many good announcers as well.

I like Nance. He is a bridge from the older guys to the younger folks. I know his niece and she says he is really a good guy. I asked her when he comes by for dinner for the Wells Fargo does he say "Hello Family"

Scott Van Pelt. I've always appreciated him when he gets a chance to do the broadcasts.
Good call on Van Pelt. I could see him leave ESPN to take over for Nance. he is smotth.

Not sure I have a favorite, but I can safely say Faldo is ******* terrible. Between the filling of the time ranting about graphite shafts to mumbling to a point of no return, its just gawd awful. Loved watching Phil pretty much put him in his place during his time in the booth last year. Ironically enough, I like Faldo quite a bit personally. Good guy to be around and a quick wit.

Not sure I have a favorite, but I can safely say Faldo is ******* terrible. Between the filling of the time ranting about graphite shafts to mumbling to a point of no return, its just gawd awful. Loved watching Phil pretty much put him in his place during his time in the booth last year. Ironically enough, I like Faldo quite a bit personally. Good guy to be around and a quick wit.
I’d happily listen to a 6 time major champion talk about golf all day long. There’s almost nobody with any real pedigree in pro golf analyst roles so I gravitate towards him. Anyone who didn’t play at a high level themselves is a big no for me, they’re the ones I’d mute.

Dan Patrick will sometimes have Faldo on as a guest and I always enjoy his appearances on there. He seems like a good guy and funny. But I agree with him being terrible on the telecasts. I can't wait for him to stop talking most of the time.

Dan Patrick will sometimes have Faldo on as a guest and I always enjoy his appearances on there. He seems like a good guy and funny. But I agree with him being terrible on the telecasts. I can't wait for him to stop talking most of the time.

He's a great interview. Especially when he doesn't have to talk about golf equipment and/or the current crop in detail.
His graphite shafts venting was laughable, but honestly when we have spoken to him personally he has been fantastic.

Feherty. He's simply hilarious, unlike Gary McCord, who is trying to be Feherty, but tries too hard and isn't really funny.

But from an analyst or play-by-play guy, I really enjoy Paul Azinger and the classic voice of Jim Nance.

I'm seeing a trend here.

Being a golf booth analyst is like being a baseball analyst. There's a lot of dead air to fill. Some just have the demeanor to do it well, and others just don't. See: Phil v Sir Nick. Makes me wonder whether I would like Dottie as much if she were sitting next to Nantz for 3-4 hours.

Feherty. And only Feherty. I can't stand any of the others.

Definitely not Faldo. I can't stand him. Nor do I like to listen to Brandel Chamblee... he's full of great info and trivia but there's something in his delivery I just don't like.

Dottie Pepper make me feel like I'm listening to a tennis broadcast.:confused2: Maybe it's all her soft talking so as to not affect play.:confused2:

Feherty, Pepper, and Nance are all good to me. Don't like Faldo as much any more. I seemed to be ok with him when he started, but just seems to be getting worse to me.

Interesting you say Peter Alliss, I didn’t realise he got much (if any) air time in USA when he was around? Or have you lived in UK? 😊
No, born & living in the USA. I just watched a lot of UK golf back in the day. I thought UK golf tv showed more actual golf shots than their American counterparts. Alliss was really easy to listen to when he spoke.

Not Jim Nantz … he has a terrible penchant for hyperbole and a lack of perspective. EVERYTHING is the greatest moment in golf.

For former players, as much as he was maligned, Johnny Miller was actually entertaining to listen to compared to Faldo and Azinger.
I really like Colt Knost and Bones does a good job as well.

No, born & living in the USA. I just watched a lot of UK golf back in the day. I thought UK golf tv showed more actual golf shots than their American counterparts. Alliss was really easy to listen to when he spoke.
Ah I see. Yes indeed you used to see a lot more shots on UK coverage. The BBC used to have The Open on with absolutely no adverts or interruptions for 12 hrs + a day! Hard to believe for many American viewers I imagine! 🤣😊 These days, Sky TV has the broadcast rights to the PGA Tour and it used US feeds so we don’t see any more than you guys do now. We don’t have the adverts, it tends to be interviews and studio analysis instead. But it’s the same amount of golf.

For former players, as much as he was maligned, Johnny Miller was actually entertaining to listen to compared to Faldo and Azinger.
I love Johnny Miller’s credibility but my goodness he likes talking about himself doesn’t he!

Miller was the best... Bones is good too. I am looking forward to the day Phil is in the booth. I think he will be excellent.

Miller was the best... Bones is good too. I am looking forward to the day Phil is in the booth. I think he will be excellent.
Yes what I’ve seen of Bones is great 👌.

I'll go with Feherty every time.

Back