Your First Golf Memory

I-O-W-A!

Going down to the park and playing the pitch and putt and also the putting bag green which are now gone.

First round ever and only the second day hitting golf balls. Roosevelt 9 hole course in L.A. 2/15/1820180215_160505.jpg

My first 9 holes ever on a golf course, I had been to the range a couple of times, I have and eagle on the 7th hole a short Par 5, 450 or so uphill. 2nd shot is blind into the green , can't even see the flag. My ball rolled onto the green 5 ft away from the hole and I made the putt. I still play the course regularly and only have eagled the hole 2 more times....That was back in the late 80's when I was just fooling around with golf. I quit for a long time due to kids and all. Started playing again and more seriously in late 2018.

My only other golf memory that I hold close is my "hole in one". I say it in quotes because it was a 99 yard pitch and putt hole. But it was with my 3 boys and that just made it that more special. My boys went running from the tee to the green to get my ball and bring it to me. Special time. Now I get to play with my oldest who is the only one who plays golf and he just started fall 2019 and is getting better a lot quicker than I have.

Reactions: J4U
My first golf memory is playing "caddie" for my father. I was probably about 10. That meant dragging his pull cart around the course while he played and getting to sit at the bar in the 19th Hole drinking a soda and eating french fries.

Growing up, I'd caddy for my Dad and his cousins. They were all bs'rs so it was so fun to listen to all the smack talking! They never let me to play and I don't remember even wanting to.

Played with my uncle the summer after I graduated hs 1983. There was a bar across from #2 tee, so we'd get 2 pony 8 packs of Miller High Life and drink one every hole. I shot 47 for 9

Barefoot with no shirts, it was so fun.

I started golfing for real two year later at Dyess AFB with a baseball grip and basketball shoes because our squadron team needed a fourth player. (y)

I had one of those Fisher Price plastic golf club and ball toy set as a kid I used to ramble around the house playing with. Of course, the club was often weaponized, especially after I lost the ball

• Haha
1960, hitting whiffle balls off a mat in the Appleton, WI, YMCA gym. My father had joined a private 9-hole country club and my mother wanted us to be "ready."

I started golf after high school so the memories are fresher. The first memory I have was playing at an outing. It was a pure PW up and over a tree, best shot I had hit after starting golf and I loved it in the air. Then it kept flying and went over the green and landed on the guy's knee sitting in the cart at the next tee box........ It was awesome making that contact and then horrible all in the same shot.

Playing a par 3 course owned by a friend's dad. Chili dogs made an appearance and became a part of golf.

bkuehn wrote: 1960, hitting whiffle balls off a mat in the Appleton, WI, YMCA gym.

Me too- Appleton WI area at age 7 (1960) On the course with Mom and Dad. I recall it was a bad year for the awful Winnebago flies

Back