Your First Golf Memory

The earliest one I can remember is when my dad took me to a par 3 course. I dont know how old I was, maybe 10ish...younger, dont know. But the one and only thing I remember from that time was after we teed off, I was well short of the green and I put a tee in the ground to tee up the ball. My dad asked what I was doing, and then told me how I can only tee-up the ball once on the box and every shot after is on the ground.

I also remember he would always take me to the driving range as well and I would swing out of my shoes trying to kill the ball lol. Once I got a little older he finally told me to start trying to hit targets and playing games out there with me.
haha, the tee story... I've got one for you.

My father in law took up the game WAY late and only because at the time in business, playing golf, especially scrambles, was super common. So naturally, he didn't get lessons, just grabbed a bag of clubs and went after it.

First round, he tees the ball up on every single shot. Eventually, his playing partners catch on and ask him what he was doing.. He had absolutely no idea you couldn't tee the ball up on every shot hahahhaa

the two memories that come to mind both involve head injuries....
My first memory was “playing golf” with my younger cousin when I was in first grade. We were playing outside my grandparents house and I was standing behind him. Unfortunately I wasn’t far enough behind him and took a wild follow through off the nose. Ended up having to get 5 stitches.😕

the second memory was at a driving range with my dad. I am not sure how old I was, but I know I was still playing with my Michael Jordan Junior set (super badass). My dad had just hit the ball and was watching it when I wound up and tried to hit the ball as far as I could. Ended up barely hitting the ball and instead of it going forward it went horizontal and hit my dad in the jaw. I still have no idea how I manage to do it. I do remember the rest of the day saying “I can’t believe I did that” and my dad reply “well you did!”

Before I really played golf I would go walk the course with my dad with my aluminum shafted 4 iron at the local muni during his weekly money games in the evening. 9th hole we were sitting around the green waiting on the next group to finish and when someone hit the green in 2 on the par 5 I didn’t see anyone, so I ran out onto the green and hit the 4 iron off of the green. Picked it perfectly and no divot, luckily the owner was with us and didn’t have a heart attack if I layed the sod over on it. Loved those days with my dad.

the two memories that come to mind both involve head injuries....
My first memory was “playing golf” with my younger cousin when I was in first grade. We were playing outside my grandparents house and I was standing behind him. Unfortunately I wasn’t far enough behind him and took a wild follow through off the nose. Ended up having to get 5 stitches.😕

the second memory was at a driving range with my dad. I am not sure how old I was, but I know I was still playing with my Michael Jordan Junior set (super badass). My dad had just hit the ball and was watching it when I wound up and tried to hit the ball as far as I could. Ended up barely hitting the ball and instead of it going forward it went horizontal and hit my dad in the jaw. I still have no idea how I manage to do it. I do remember the rest of the day saying “I can’t believe I did that” and my dad reply “well you did!”
So basically, if we ever play golf together, lots of space..... hahahahaha

this is a hell of a roller coaster of a post hahaha!

Loved the story about your grandpa. That's really cool.

absolutely chaotic, but I always had fun which is why I think so fondly of the game today.

I’m so glad I remember spending that time with my grandpa, as by the time I was old enough to really spend time with him he struggled with some bad COPD and had to carry oxygen around which really limited how much he left the house. Crazy how those moments stick with you even at a young age. All we did was mess around with golf balls, watch the cubs, and I’d watch him play euchre. Now those are all of my favorite things to do lol.

putting on sand greens with my Grandma at age 5

absolutely chaotic, but I always had fun which is why I think so fondly of the game today.

I’m so glad I remember spending that time with my grandpa, as by the time I was old enough to really spend time with him he struggled with some bad COPD and had to carry oxygen around which really limited how much he left the house. Crazy how those moments stick with you even at a young age. All we did was mess around with golf balls, watch the cubs, and I’d watch him play euchre. Now those are all of my favorite things to do lol.
Ohhhh I freaking LOVE euchre!

First golf memory.... bunch of college athlete friends, most of whom played golf in high school recruited me, convinced me to fill out their two foursomes.... never really swung a club other than driving range and certainly didn’t play on a course... we’re playing the 9hole course on campus and I have no freaking clue what I’m doing what club to hit where the ball is going.... get to like the 5th hole and tell the other 3 in my group this is the hardest game in the world.... dropping F bombs along the way and that I’m done.... I’ll drink and have fun but not swinging again because I’m absolutely frustrated.... they all laugh and say good, now you get it.... they convinced me not to worry about to hit where the ball goes or how many strokes... just focus on smooth.... they’ll continue to help me.... (Always had good hand eye coordination... well at least back then)
Next hole I took a smooth cut with driver and hit a soft fade shot in the middle of the fairway..... hit the second shot from the fairway again with the thought of smooth.... ball landed on the green but ran off the back and halfway down the hill of this elevated green.... hit a half wedge shot back on the green.... climb back up the hill with my buddies who were all coaching and instructing me on what club to use, how to hold my hands, what the feel should be, how to tilt my shoulders, etc.:.. we all get to the top of the hill and only see 3 balls on the green.... my roommate say I must have hit it to the front of the green.... as I walk towards the front of the green my roommate laughs and say check the hole..... I did and my ball had settled in the bottom..... I went nuts.... guys were laughing at how excited I was....
I guess I was hooked right then, but didn’t know until a few years later

Ohhhh I freaking LOVE euchre!

If we ever share a THP experience I’ll make sure to bring a deck of cards and we can hustle some guys. Although everyone knows it’s scientifically impossible to know how to play euchre if you don’t live in the Great Lakes region so it may be hard to find challengers haha

First memory is playing my first official golf hole with my dad. I teed off from the red tees, chunked it into the rough, then proceeded to attempt to tee the ball up again before my dad informing me of the ROG! I think I was 10-12 at that time.

Next hole was a downhill 120 par 3, my tee shot bounced over the cup and landed just past the pin. Made a two putt par and took the honors from my dad going to 3. I think my dad would have quit golf if I aced it! He still tells friends about both holes, but always brings up the first hole, because that makes the shock value on the 2nd that much more fun to watch!

If we ever share a THP experience I’ll make sure to bring a deck of cards and we can hustle some guys. Although everyone knows it’s scientifically impossible to know how to play euchre if you don’t live in the Great Lakes region so it may be hard to find challengers haha
I am SO down for that.

First golf memory.... bunch of college athlete friends, most of whom played golf in high school recruited me, convinced me to fill out their two foursomes.... never really swung a club other than driving range and certainly didn’t play on a course... we’re playing the 9hole course on campus and I have no freaking clue what I’m doing what club to hit where the ball is going.... get to like the 5th hole and tell the other 3 in my group this is the hardest game in the world.... dropping F bombs along the way and that I’m done.... I’ll drink and have fun but not swinging again because I’m absolutely frustrated.... they all laugh and say good, now you get it.... they convinced me not to worry about to hit where the ball goes or how many strokes... just focus on smooth.... they’ll continue to help me.... (Always had good hand eye coordination... well at least back then)
Next hole I took a smooth cut with driver and hit a soft fade shot in the middle of the fairway..... hit the second shot from the fairway again with the thought of smooth.... ball landed on the green but ran off the back and halfway down the hill of this elevated green.... hit a half wedge shot back on the green.... climb back up the hill with my buddies who were all coaching and instructing me on what club to use, how to hold my hands, what the feel should be, how to tilt my shoulders, etc.:.. we all get to the top of the hill and only see 3 balls on the green.... my roommate say I must have hit it to the front of the green.... as I walk towards the front of the green my roommate laughs and say check the hole..... I did and my ball had settled in the bottom..... I went nuts.... guys were laughing at how excited I was....
I guess I was hooked right then, but didn’t know until a few years later
haha, now THAT is a big boy story.

I have a vague memory of my being in the cart when I was 4 or 5 at Valley Oak in Visalia, CA. I am sure it stuck because apparently my dad hit a 90 degree shank through the drive side and front of the cart and my mom lost it on him. I don't remember the shank or yelling but that is probably why it stuck.

haha, now THAT is a big boy story.
I’m still good friends with those 3 guys and still laugh about that day.... the irony is that none of those guys really play golf anymore... except me

I have a vague memory of my being in the cart when I was 4 or 5 at Valley Oak in Visalia, CA. I am sure it stuck because apparently my dad hit a 90 degree shank through the drive side and front of the cart and my mom lost it on him. I don't remember the shank or yelling but that is probably why it stuck.
haha, what a memory to start golf with.

Yes and I actually have a picture of my first on course golf swing. Senior skip day 1999, two of my buddies and I decided to play the country club course one of the guys lived on. All 3 of us played from the same set of clubs that belonged to his dad.

I’ll never forget as we stopped at the first tee, a twosome pulls up behind us, looks at the 3 of us all in the same cart, all playing out of the same bag, (none of us with a lick of experience) and asks “Are all 3 of you playing out of that one bag?” We said “yeah.” Guy says, “We’re going in front of you.”:LOL:

It was a great time and a memory I’ll never forget with 2 of my best friends.

9F9182C0-A34C-429E-9B06-937E5FA96FF9.jpeg
Yes, I put my first ever drive in that water 50 feet in front of me. :LOL::LOL:

I took up golf by playing mini golf. Ocean City NJ...There was a course with a Seal as 18 with a ramp and spinning ball. Put it in hole and win a free game.....I got real good at it. Knocked it in almost every time. Spent a lot of time practicing. So go one day pay play win free game. use ticket play again. Win free game again hand ticket to guy and he says...read sign...Sign says can't win free game with free game ticket....I started to cry. I was 10. No one but me was doing that...That sign was specific to me...I won numerous mini golf tournaments. That's how I started playing as no one in my family played.

I took up golf by playing mini golf. Ocean City NJ...There was a course with a Seal as 18 with a ramp and spinning ball. Put it in hole and win a free game.....I got real good at it. Knocked it in almost every time. Spent a lot of time practicing. So go one day pay play win free game. use ticket play again. Win free game again hand ticket to guy and he says...read sign...Sign says can't win free game with free game ticket....I started to cry. I was 10. No one but me was doing that...That sign was specific to me...I won numerous mini golf tournaments. That's how I started playing as no one in my family played.
That is kind of awesome!

Sucks that the guy would stop you from having fun as a kid though.

Carrying my father's bag, thinking what a dick he was, and hating the game.

I started golfing with friends on a par 3 course when I was 11. Had a blast and was hooked. Great memories being outside during the summer playing golf as a kid.

my dad bringing home a bunch of random irons from his DRMO (defense reutilization management office) lot...all RH, of course :rolleyes:...so i just used the "two-sided" putter for everything :ROFLMAO:

I don’t think I have a first golf memory, it’s seemed like a stupid activity by people I don’t want to be around.
I do remember my first time playing, I was 50 years old, a buddy talked me into it saying we can drink beer, smoke weed and pee on trees, as it turns out drinking beer, smoking weed and peeing on trees is great fun. I thank my buddy every time I see him.

I was about 4 and my dad took me for a walk at a golf course in Statesville, NC. He carried a golf club with him and before long we found a golf ball in the rough. He dropped it on the fairway and hit it onto the green (which to me looked like about a mile away). The sound it made and the flight of the ball made me instantly fall in love with golf!

Back