Your first THP Experience

2018 Ben Hogan Experience at The Mission Inn. Good Times!
Met @Sox_Fan @H8tobogie @Space Bandito @badolds
Also met Tyler and Corey from Ben Hogan. Sorry about the spelling if that’s not right for Corey and I don’t know Tyler’s THP name.
I got a set of Edge irons at that event and I still have them in my bag today. If anyone has questions about Ben Hogan or the Edge model specifically, just ask!
This was my first THP experience as well and it was FANTASTIC! Great group of guys and Mission Inn was a very nice venue. Hopefully I can swing the unofficial gathering down there later this year :unsure:

I think it was the 2017 #StaffProto with Wilson. Met @vgolfman and some kick ass THPers. Honestly, I was super nervous going into it. The course was the Highlands of Elgin if I recall correctly.
I think you played in the same group as my bro for that one if I recall.

Must have been 2016 Staff Proto, because I'm pretty sure I was in 2017 Staff Proto in Vegas (which was my first event). If Molten and mikedean's brother were there, then I didn't meet a lot of people. :oops:

Must have been 2016 Staff Proto, because I'm pretty sure I was in 2017 Staff Proto in Vegas (which was my first event). If Molten and mikedean's brother were there, then I didn't meet a lot of people. :oops:
Ha! It took place October 2015, so yeah. I’m way off.

2018 shaft up at Olympia Fields....good times! Although that second day course ate my lunch.

This thread is pure awesome

I've only been in one official event; the 2015 Bridgestone Kansas City Invitational. The event course was Prairie Highlands in Olathe and I was partnered with Icey Shanks. Had an exceptional time and remember the fun and friendship, more than the golf ... oh and those incredible burnt ends at the awards dinner. Met many awesome guys there and what made it especially easy was that I'd already met about 10 KC participants just a couple weeks earlier. Great guys who had also come here for sposey#s inaugural Springfield/Branson unofficial gathering.

The original Bridgestone at TPC Las Vegas. I believe it was in 2013 IIRC.

ETA: My wife accompanied me. After meeting the "strangers from the internet" and their wives she decided that THPers were ok. While we were golfing she went shopping with a friend and I had to figure out how to bring 40lbs of clothes home. :eek:

Oh and who could ever forget the "Creeper window" in the hotel's shower.

Last edited:
Man that was a good time. Everyone there was fun to be around. A few memories of mine from that time:

Of course reference the above comments. I knew I should of took @Boder 's advice at the turn "bro theres a halfway house right here, knock it out" but I thought eh I'm good. That was just about to be one hell of a disaster. The bad part is when I started to go down the hill headed for the halfway house on the back 9, the brakes kicked on to slow it down and I was like "oh c'mon man go!!!!!!" haha From what I remember, Boder damn near halved the whole 2 on 1? The conversation between Boder and myself in the fairway.

Me driving to our tee shots: "dude, I hate to tell you this but I'm going to have to leave you to the wolves. I gotta find a halfway house I'm not gonna make it"
Boder: "really? Damn dude alright"
...we get to his ball. Me fully expecting him to get the yardage and his clubs so I can roll. He gets out, walks back to his bag. Comes back up to get his range finder, shoots the yardage. Goes back to his bag, fumbles around with his clubs. Pulls one out. puts it back. Grabs another.
Me: "dude, get your fvcking bag off this cart because I gotta go!!!!!!"
Boder looks at me like oh sh*t!

Next was the picture below and Ray @Golfever up and down to save par on this par 3 early on the front 9. When @Vortex and him hit their tee shots way right up on the hill side in the tall native grass I told @Boder now its time to step on the gas and not let up as I was sure we were going to win the hole especially when we were 1 up and as I was on the middle of the green and he was on too just not as close. Dave was out as he couldnt find his ball if I remember right, but Rays 2nd shot out of the native was impressive big downhill lie, out of thick native, through a tree, and on the green to leave 10-15ft down hill putt. Then he steps up and drains it. I was standing there like you have got to be kidding me?

Man that was fun!

Then @Pringles tee shot off a Coors Light can. Dude can blitz a golf ball!

View attachment 8921646
E3148198-43B5-474E-B40A-786F9D422844.jpeg
Ray’s ball was legit 20 yards into the trees over that blue mark. Hell of a par!

My first was the 2012 Ultimate Outing and Demo Day in Orlando at Grand Cypress. I'd been a member for only a month or two. I had read all the posts in the event thread for weeks and everyone was having so much fun just discussing the event that I decided to get on the waiting list for it. Got a PM back in a few days from @GolferGal that there was opening and was in shock for quite awhile. I have kept files on every event I've been to and dug out this one. I had a good giggle tonight reading through it (at my own expense). I was pretty hyped over this and very nervous. I prepared lists of the Villa Assignments (I think there were 9, housing 65 guys) and tried to find everyone's real names. I listed every club line that we were to test (there were clubs from 19 manufacturers including about everything in their lineup). I even made an inventory of the things I wanted in my bag, and the clothing I would wear each day, including travel days. HaHa Yes, I was a just a little nervous leading up to the event.

My first round was with OleGray, DogDaddy and PuttinforBird, and in about 5 minutes or less all my angst was gone. Such a great group to start with, and all of that gaggle of folk that were at the event were just like them. I had the best time of my life! Sadly, we lost Puttinforbird just recently and that still hurts to even type that, and the first two are no longer active.

But I was to find that this was the norm for THP events. After that one, I had so much fun that I tried to enter just about every event THP had for the next several years. I was fortunate to get into a bunch, and I can honestly say that the people I met at every event made me feel.....well, it's hard to put into words, but, if you've been to a THP event you probably know what I'm talking about. I miss them. Thank you, @GraniteRoost for starting this post. It gave me a chance to reminisce.

My first was the 2012 Ultimate Outing and Demo Day in Orlando at Grand Cypress. I'd been a member for only a month or two. I had read all the posts in the event thread for weeks and everyone was having so much fun just discussing the event that I decided to get on the waiting list for it. Got a PM back in a few days from @GolferGal that there was opening and was in shock for quite awhile. I have kept files on every event I've been to and dug out this one. I had a good giggle tonight reading through it (at my own expense). I was pretty hyped over this and very nervous. I prepared lists of the Villa Assignments (I think there were 9, housing 65 guys) and tried to find everyone's real names. I listed every club line that we were to test (there were clubs from 19 manufacturers including about everything in their lineup). I even made an inventory of the things I wanted in my bag, and the clothing I would wear each day, including travel days. HaHa Yes, I was a just a little nervous leading up to the event.

My first round was with OleGray, DogDaddy and PuttinforBird, and in about 5 minutes or less all my angst was gone. Such a great group to start with, and all of that gaggle of folk that were at the event were just like them. I had the best time of my life! Sadly, we lost Puttinforbird just recently and that still hurts to even type that, and the first two are no longer active.

But I was to find that this was the norm for THP events. After that one, I had so much fun that I tried to enter just about every event THP had for the next several years. I was fortunate to get into a bunch, and I can honestly say that the people I met at every event made me feel.....well, it's hard to put into words, but, if you've been to a THP event you probably know what I'm talking about. I miss them. Thank you, @GraniteRoost for starting this post. It gave me a chance to reminisce.

Love it Ken...You had quite the streak there for a while with events. Hope all is well partner.

2019 Bridgestone Championship in July at Firestone CC. Had a blast with a good group of fellas.

Super sketchy hotel beers with randoms from the internet. I'll never ever forget that first night hahahhaa

OMG that right, Beags and I met you and @mikedean in the back of that hotel. All those memories just came rushing back.

OMG that right, Beags and I met you and @mikedean in the back of that hotel. All those memories just came rushing back.
Yep. Shared my beer, regretted not getting more, went to bed super excited that I wasn't mugged, beaten, and deleted by internet crazies.

hahahaa, oh man that weekend.

2016 Cleveland Shortgame Shootout in Carmel IN

2018 shaft up at Olympia Fields....good times! Although that second day course ate my lunch.

The North course was def a challenge! That rough was tough boy!

Soon, I hope.

View attachment 8921801
Ray’s ball was legit 20 yards into the trees over that blue mark. Hell of a par!

Exactly. Downhill lie, thick native, and a tree to go through WITH a green that's sloping away AND short sided pin. And he walks away with a par.

Ah yes there was a little trouble with the bunker on that hole. Great memory.

He really was fast wasn't he? HAHAHA!!

This was my first event as well. Met up with PJ and drove to the event (shortest THP drive yet!). We met @rallo in the parking lot and it was off to the races from there. Was such a great time playing a practice round with @McRock and then finishing the event with @Boder and I playing just good enough alternate shot down the stretch to take home the win and clinch my HOF tag. Great memories post event as well.

Cant say enough good things from everyone at this event. Was a great introduction into the live THP experience.

Has not happened yet. I’ll be sure and share when it does. ;)

She was shocked when I asked her to leave the whole platter but everyone was killin them.

Not sure how you missed out, I thought I did tell everyone to try them. :ROFLMAO:

@Duffer Waldorf and I were shocked they were still on the tray when we left. That's @oumagic fault. We thought he

was taking them to go. The orange rolls are the talk, but the entire meal was Amazing. CDA is amazing.
It might be me getting old and losing some memory, but I blame you on the rolls being left behind. It helps me sleep at night ;)

It might be me getting old and losing some memory, but I blame you on the rolls being left behind. It helps me sleep at night ;)
God gave me broad shoulders for a reason. Whatever makes you happy!! ;)

2016 Grandaddy...it was alright...lol

Back