Your Focus - Eyes, Ball

Ball isn’t there. Just like the lake in front of the tee- “what lake?”.
off the tee, I look at a spot just off the “10 o’clock” and try to go THROUGH that spot, not at it. Irons are at a spot JUST in front of the 9 and try to go through that spot.
Putting is a bit different. I’m an “eyes over the ball” guy. So it’s hard not to see it. But I focus on the alignment mark and not the actual ball. Again, trying to go through and along the mark. The ball just gets in the way of the putter or club.

I am going to give that a try, thanks for the tip.

This thread has been great, thanks to all who have contributed. Going to try this with both putter and irons.

Tried this on the range last night, looking towards the front end of the ball with my irons. Small sample size alert, but it seemed to keep my low point in a good spot and the strike was good. Looking further to test this out.

Tried this on the range last night, looking towards the front end of the ball with my irons. Small sample size alert, but it seemed to keep my low point in a good spot and the strike was good. Looking further to test this out.

You know... A famous Coach gets $1000 an hour for things like this. So... I'll expect a check for 48 cents (the prorated rate for taking 3 seconds to read mine, less the THP Members discount, of course). :)

You know... A famous Coach gets $1000 an hour for things like this. So... I'll expect a check for 48 cents (the prorated rate for taking 3 seconds to read mine, less the THP Members discount, of course). :)
glad THP members get a good discount ;) (and maybe an invite to the dream foursomes experience:unsure:)

@Desmond you've got me thinking now, which is dangerous...

Putting - I'm a decent putter... I go thru hot and cold stretches like everyone, I suppose. Over the past year I averaged 1.8 putts per hole for what that's worth. I do have the Pelz tutor to which you referred. To the topic - I focus on the ball, but as I'm thinking about it now, I don't have a very specific spot on which I focus. I'm going to try looking just ahead of the ball at league tonight as I can see the value in making sure I get thru it.

Chipping/Pitching (wedges, basically) - I get timid with my wedges, so I've gradually defaulted to looking about an inch in front of the ball in an effort to ensure I hit the ball first, aggressively, especially when I want it to spin.

Full swing (irons and FW woods) - this varies... sometimes back of the ball, sometimes front edge, I think I will try focusing just in front of the ball.

Driver - since I'm hitting driver on the upswing, I tend to place it about two inches behind the ball at address as that's roughly where my swing will bottom out, and then focus there. Curious if you've experimented with driver at all on this front?

Thoughtful and interesting ideas about how we focus on the ball. I am curious to explore this in my game. I have started to turn the corner with my putting (feeling like a big change), and a big focus is moving the stroke through the ball. I am honestly not sure where I am focusing visually, but it isn't the front of the ball, which is what I previously did. Very interesting.

Good thread. Approximately 6 months ago, I had a talk with my local pro about this and started trying not to focus on the ball. For some, myself included, focusing on an object that your mind knows is about to move creates issues. I look at a spot in front of the ball on putts/irons and a spot just behind with the driver. Sometimes I revert back to focusing on the ball and those are usually days that I feel I had a lack of focus.

More on ball-created tension and focusing the eyes...

In the late 90's, I read articles about Hank Haney having driver yips - maybe it was ball-created tension, the anticipation of hitting the ball. Here is a quote:

[Haney] had noticed that, on the few occasions when he couldn’t avoid demonstrating a shot with his driver, he was able to do so successfully if he looked at his audience, not the ball, while he swung—a feat that impressed his students but for him was an act of desperation. “That was something I discovered by trial and error,” he told me. “Focussing my eyes and my attention on something different—anything to not anticipate the hit, anything to not anticipate the moment of contact with the ball.” In his new swing, he glanced at the ball only briefly, at the very beginning of his routine; during the actual swing, he kept his eyes on the brim of his cap."

For some of us, the anticipation of hitting the ball, although unconscious, may create mental tension that can translate into inconsistency. When severe, it can cause a physical manifestation - the yips. I'm talking more of an unconscious tension that anticipation of the stroke may create.

Find what works for you - we are all different and all have different issues when it comes to relaxing and hitting the golf ball.

My instructor explained and solved the YIPS for me.
When we try to make the BS and through swing conscious actions we over ride our subconscious and if it continues the subconscious stops controlling the motion=YIPS. I couldnt make a 1ft putt.

Solution: consciously control either the BS or the through swing, but never both.
If we divert our attention to a spot on the ball or ahead of the ball at address
that may divert our attention long enough that the BS is allowed to happen without conscious control and through swing can be consciously stroked.
Whether a putt or full swing, the hardest and first thing is to start the BS.
BS cant be done easily if our attention is on the through swing, before we make the BS.

The full swing, DS takes less than 1/4 second. That is too little time to consciously control. Time only for one intention at top of BS. .then its over.

Last edited:
Thoughtful and interesting ideas about how we focus on the ball. I am curious to explore this in my game. I have started to turn the corner with my putting (feeling like a big change), and a big focus is moving the stroke through the ball. I am honestly not sure where I am focusing visually, but it isn't the front of the ball, which is what I previously did. Very interesting.

As weird as it may sound, try to focus on the dime-size spot that the ball is sitting on -- and accelerate your putter squarely across that spot.

A good putting drill is to actually sit your ball on a dime, sense that spot underneath the ball, make your stroke and don't move your head until you see that dime again.

Thanks for the reminder. I putt better when focusing on a spot 4-6 inches in front of the ball, and I need to get back to actually practicing this and making it instinctive. My short game practice has been nonexistent the last 6 weeks, but I plan on changing that starting this week.
I do the same thing . I pick a spot about 6 inches on my line and try to get the putter head there square.

Back