Your Game: Today Vs 10 Years Ago

Lions81

Reaction score
Handicap
The 10 Year Bag Challenge got me thinking back to my game 10 years ago and how it has changed both for better and worse.

So the question is, how is your game today vs how it was 10 years ago? Overall is it better or worse? What parts of your game have improved, and what have regressed? Any reasons why?

2.9 10 years ago today.
8.3 as of last update.

Played 59 rounds in 2008
Played 16 rounds in 2018

Did hit more balls on the range and course with launch monitor in 2018, so there is that.

I wasn't playing in 2008 and had never swung a club. I'd say I'm doing much better now.

I played 2-3 times a year in 2008. Became addicted to golf in 2011. So my game is WAY better now but my bank account is not better off because of it.

Back in 2009 I was around a 12-14 handicap. I did not play nearly as much back then. Today I'm currently a 6.1 and have been as low as a 3.2 a year or 2 ago.

Back then, I battled a slice off the tee, my irons were hit or miss, but I had a pretty good short game and I was a very good putter. Today, I am much better off the tee and with irons. I would say my short game and putting have regressed.

I think the advances in equipment have definitely helped my tee to green game, along with lessons and playing much more. I don't really know why my putting has gotten worse, although I've heard that often happens as people get older (no idea if that's true or not).

2.9 10 years ago today.
8.3 as of last update.

Played 59 rounds in 2008
Played 16 rounds in 2018

Did hit more balls on the range and course with launch monitor in 2018, so there is that.

I don't think there is any substitute for number of rounds played. So much of golf is feel and touch, and if you aren't out on the course that often, golf is really hard. I definitely noticed it last year when my rounds went down by about 40%.

My game was non existent because I didn't play golf 10 years ago lol

I think overall it's worse. I think I might drive the ball straighter, but definitely shorter (I'm 40 now). I hit the FWs better now. I was a way better iron player. I think my short game is pretty much the same. I may be a little bit better with wedges (as long as I don't have to chip). Pretty good with the putter.

15 handicapper to a 9. Took 2 years off in the middle of that for knee surgery.
I'd say I hit it further and have a better short game but my irons aren't as consistent, used to have them on a rope with the other two areas struggling.

Putting will always be terrible :banghead:

I would say my game is much better than 10 years ago. 10 years ago I just started to golf. Hadn't played before that. I feel that my game was better 2 years ago though.

My game and index is about the same but that has been true since 1980. Father time hasn't yet taken any distance from me or at least the technology has kept pace with my decline. I'll guess that I played 40 rounds in 2008 and didn't practice much because I had 3 kids between the ages of 2 and 10 that summer and my wife was travelng a lot. My time was mostly spent on coaching and running my kids around while working full time. This year I will play 120+ rounds partly because my daughter plays and will be on the highschool team. I'm likely to be on the course with her 4-6 days each week this spring and hopefully at least a few days a week all summer. I'm also retired for the first time entering start of the golf season which here is about 75 days away!

I don't think there is any substitute for number of rounds played. So much of golf is feel and touch, and if you aren't out on the course that often, golf is really hard. I definitely noticed it last year when my rounds went down by about 40%.

I have seen it so much. My swing gets worse (more over the top and less smooth) as time goes by, but honestly I wouldn't change anything. I get to see and play some pretty special places and get to visit and spend time with THPers getting once in a lifetime treatments every month. So there is some win there. What's crazy is I love the game as much now as I ever have.

I'm not sure what my handicap would have been 10 years ago but I probably shot mid 80's consistently. My driving and short game are both way better than 10 years ago but my iron game and putting have gone backwards. Less penalty strokes has really helped but more putts is hurting me.

The important thing is I'm so much more in love with golf than I was 10 years ago. I've been big in the sport since I was 10 years old but the last few years has been stepped up to a whole other level.

10 years ago, I had just moved back to my hometown. For the previous two or three years, I had played 5 times a year at most after having played fairly regularly before that. When I got back, I started playing again with my dad and then slowly played more and more. I wasn't keeping a handicap, but I'd guess I was probably playing to about a 12 at the time. I don't think I broke 80 in 2008 and if I did in 2009, it was only at an easy course.

My dad's been gone for almost 3 years now, but those 8 years I got to spend playing golf with him as much as possible mean the world to me. It also motivated me to really try to improve. This year I got to a + handicap for the first time and ended the year at 0.1.

i didn't track anything back in 2009, so i'll go by 2010.

in 2010 my average esc score was 13 over par. the average handicap for each round was 12. i logged 21 rounds.
in 2018, my average esc score was 9 over par. the average handicap for each round was 9. i logged 35 rounds (but played a few more than that).

the most interesting thing for me is that i finished the year at a 4.4 index, even though my average score in 2018 was 9 over par. that tells me i have some good scores, and some crappy scores. just not enough consistency in there. i blame my golf clubs.

Wow....10 years ago....

I played golf, but it was more for fun. I had never considered keeping track of my handicap, but I recall having a steady 4some that I played with on the weekend...and if anyone got into the upper 80's they were assured a victory. I played a "controlled" slice with driver off the tee, my irons were pretty straight, and my putting was ok.

So 10 years later....

I'm a THP Albatross member, I play a minimum 1-2 per week weather permitting, my handicap is around 7-8, I still have 2 of my 4some playing with me and an upper 80 gets you clowned. I play a tight fade off the tee, irons are dead straight, and my putting is probably the strength of my game. I am definitely hitting the ball further today than I was 10 years ago, but only due to refinement in my game...10 years ago I was definitely stronger and played multiple sports. I've built numerous sets of irons, can't count how many sets of grips I've installed, and have amassed a small shop of supplies and tools that I could run my own local pro shop.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I'm just gonna leave this here: I was enjoying my junior basketball season in high school 10 years ago. I didn't really start golfing until the summer of 2009. I'd say I'm worlds better now.

I'm just gonna leave this here: I was enjoying my junior basketball season in high school 10 years ago. I didn't really start golfing until the summer of 2009. I'd say I'm worlds better now.

You picked up the game remarkably quickly then. That's impressive.

10 years ago I played once in a while and kept it around 90, it was something to do on occasion and get out and drink.
Today I am sitting at a 5HC and really enjoy the game. It has taken me the last 4 years to really work on my game and put the time in to improve. Still just as fun and enjoyable. Still want to get better this year.

10 years ago I think I golfed a couple times a year and that was it. Didn’t know much about equipment either.

Now with kids in the picture I don’t get out as much as I would like, but still get at least 9 holes a week, and know so much more about equipment (thanks THP). Now golf has taken over as my favorite sport. 10 years ago it was soccer, softball and bowling.

10 years ago I wasn't playing that often (was in college), so I'd say my game is far better now. I played in high school and was a somewhat solid player, somewhere around 14-16 hcp, but lost it in college when I would only play two or three times a year. I feel like the big difference between then and now is my course management and thought process in attacking a course. Still a mid-handicapper, but now it's much more methodical and consistent then when I was in high school or college and would go balls-to-the-wall on every shot. I'm pretty consistent now with my scoring range, maybe a low 80's score every now and then (finished 2018 with 84, 81, 84). But back then, I could shoot an 82 just as easily as I could shoot a 94 or 96.

I played 2-3 times a year in 2008. Became addicted to golf in 2011. So my game is WAY better now but my bank account is not better off because of it.

This is basically my story too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wasn't playing 10 years ago...started in 2013 at age 46....

Wish I played 10 years ago...#regrets

10 years ago, I had just started playing the game.

And was one year from joining THP. Haha

about 10 years ago, I remember seeing a set of taylormade R9s on a TV show, and thinking to myself "those are cool. Maybe I'll take up golf."

I didn't get around to it until mid 2013. So my game was nothing more than an idea ten years ago.

Posted by my thumbs.

Back