Your Golf Game Today Vs 5 Years Ago

Lions81

Reaction score
Handicap
What is the state of your game now vs what it was 5 years ago? Has your handicap improved, stayed the same, or gotten worse?

What areas of your game have improved? What have gotten worse? Do you take golf more seriously now or back then? Those are just a few ideas.

To answer my own questions,

5 years ago I was about an 8 handicap. Today my index is 3.6. Overall my game has become better, however there are areas where I feel I have both improved but also gotten worse. Today I'm a better driver of the ball, and a better iron player, and a MUCH better course manager. However I think my short game has actually taken a step backwards unless I really practice it. My putting has also slightly declined from back then.

I would say I take the game more seriously now. I read about golf a lot more (thanks to THP), play in more competitive events, and probably care more about playing well than I did vs 5 years ago.

What is the state of your game now vs what it was 5 years ago? My game overall is MUCH better.
Has your handicap improved, stayed the same, or gotten worse? Handicap has improved.
What areas of your game have improved? Every single area except for putting is much better than it was.
What have gotten worse? Putting. I used to be pretty automatic and comfortable but for the last couple years I'm grinding big time on the greens.
Do you take golf more seriously now or back then? Probably more seriously back then.

What is the state of your game now vs what it was 5 years ago?
Much improved

Has your handicap improved, stayed the same, or gotten worse?
Improved

What areas of your game have improved?
Driving, pitching, chipping

What have gotten worse?
Possibly less distance because of aging

Do you take golf more seriously now or back then?
I believe so.

Lastly, my understanding of the game, strategy and technique far exceeds what understanding of it I had five years ago

What is the state of your game now vs what it was 5 years ago? Has your handicap improved, stayed the same, or gotten worse?

What areas of your game have improved? What have gotten worse? Do you take golf more seriously now or back then? Those are just a few ideas.

I'd say I've improved from 5 years ago. Hdcp is about 5 strokes better, BUT the last 2 years have been about the same with the exception of the winter layoff inflation for the first few months of the year. Unfortunately by the time I start playing good golf again it's time for winter again.

I'd say my short game has improved the most the last few years and I definitley take it more serious now.

Everything about my golf game now is better than 5 years ago. The biggest thing is my attitude/frustration/temper/expectations have changed and that has made me a better golfer.

Man, 5 years ago seems like sooo long ago in my golf journey. I hardly EVER played at that point, then I was playing once a month or every other month, maybe. My friends and I would just go out to blow off some steam and drink beer, we would be doing well to break 100. We didn't even know or think about handicaps back then. Now I'll play to an 8-9 HC currently and I've challenged par for a few 9 holes here and there.

My golf game has improved, without a doubt, across the board. I've started taking golf a lot more serious and have found a true passion for the game as a whole. This community has been a big part of that along with finding a home course I'm comfortable at. It's been quite a change in the last 5 years for me!

Well 5 years ago I was at the range with a boxed set trying to get my no-name driver to go more than 100 yards straight and then immediately go 100 yards dead right, so I think I'm in a better spot.

I'm not exactly sure what my handicap was 5 years ago, but I pretty sure it was double digits (somewhere between 10 and 12). Now I'm under 8. I'd say that my ballstriking has improved the most from that time. I've also gained some distance as well, some of that is technique and some of that is being in better shape now than I was 5 years ago. Also, my understanding of the golf swing as well as course management has improved as well.

My game has gotten worse. Last month, 5 years ago, I shot my PB of 75. My HC was around a 10 at that time. While I had only been playing less than 2 years, I played multiple times per week, and really worked at my game.

I have gotten worse at every aspect of the game, the lone exception is I probably make more consistent contact now.

I don't take the game nearly as serious now. I play 1-2 times a month and don't practice. I just don't have the time or interest in working on my game, it's more of a social game.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Handicap is about the same but game has changed. Had more distance at 47 than I do at 52 and my putting has actually deteriorated. Definite improvements today over 5 years ago from 105 and in is making up for lack of distance.

Handicap wise I'm probably a little lower. I can finally hit a 3 wood which is nice (thanks THP and Callaway). Irons and driver are more accurate. Pitching and chipping is closer to the hole and last year I probably putted the best of my life. I will attribute the long game improvements to having badass clubs specifically fit to me by the good folks at Callaway. Short game improvement is attributed to practice.

There is no question I have invested more time into learning about the game and all it's aspects thanks to finding this site. I don't take golf as seriously as I used to and that's probably also a reason I am scoring better. Don't get nearly as upset about the bad shots as I used to.

5 years ago, I had only been playing for a year. I was playing off of a 15 index. Today as I sit I am a +1.7. I attribute this to being able to walk onto a small division 2 college team which had 8 of its 10 players graduate. This allowed me to practice and play every day when the course was open. I usually spent at least 2 hours working on my game or playing 9 holes on what was once rated the 43rd hardest course in the northeast (Shattuck Jaffrey, NH). Since then I have been able to find employment in the golf industry which allows me to play or practice 6 days a week. Big changes have been my swing as well a sense of mental maturity and determination.

Course management has gotten better along with putting and distance control.

I’m taking the game more seriously now than I ever have before

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

5 years ago, I wasn’t even playing golf. Needless to say, my game has improved tremendously

Today I shot a 78 at my home course in the cold and wet (6495 yard tees, par 72.) 5 years ago I had never picked up a golf club (first round ever played was 6/1/13.)

I think I am always improving, and can only hope that I in another 5 years I will be a few strokes better.

5 years ago, I had only been playing for a year. I was playing off of a 15 index. Today as I sit I am a +1.7. I attribute this to being able to walk onto a small division 2 college team which had 8 of its 10 players graduate. This allowed me to practice and play every day when the course was open. I usually spent at least 2 hours working on my game or playing 9 holes on what was once rated the 43rd hardest course in the northeast (Shattuck Jaffrey, NH). Since then I have been able to find employment in the golf industry which allows me to play or practice 6 days a week. Big changes have been my swing as well a sense of mental maturity and determination.

Course management has gotten better along with putting and distance control.

I’m taking the game more seriously now than I ever have before

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That's really great. I wish I had discovered golf so much earlier. I would have loved to play in school.

I bought my 1st set of clubs in July 2012 and started playing then. My game is much better now, given that I at least know the difference between a draw & a fade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 years ago I was a single handicap (just). I’ve got some joint problems that I think has cost me around 20 to 30 yards. Probably why I’m not enjoying my golf as much these days.

#FiberLaunch

A shell of what it is now.

I was just getting kind of serious and living on athletic ability, even then, I had some nice success.

Now, I firmly believe I can play sub 80 every round out and when I don't I'm pretty disappointed.

I played about 5 rounds of golf from 2004-2012, 15 in 2013, none in 2014 and tons since. In 2013 I probably around a 15-20 handicap, terrible swing. Every single thing has gotten massively better besides putting(was always decent to good). I had broken 80 3 times before 2013 and now I expect to shoot that every round. I have probably gained like 20-25mph+ ball speed between then and now, irons go farther and just think my way around the course much better. I am honestly not a great natural player and was terrible till I started playing 2-5 rounds a week minimum then I just kept getting better.

I think I am playing better but scoring higher, mainly because of the course I am playing. I have never driven the ball better, never putted better, except for when I was in my teens and early 20s, when I had young person nerves. Still have issues with my iron play, as I always have.

Dont take it any more seriously.
Definitely better.
Still no short game

But still having fun wirh friends

My index has dropped by a point every year for the last 5 years...my driver is a lot more consistent(not longer) and my chipping/putting is better...used to miss a lot of 3-5 footers in the past...short game has improved a lot after joining a club and having access to chipping/putting area.

But in general, I think the only way to drop your index is to play a lot...at least twice a week.

5 years ago I️ was 30 yards longer than i am off the tee. My putting was average at best. My cap was a point of two higher.

5 years ago I almost didn’t play anymore... I expected to shoot in the low 80’s when i did get out, break 80 if i was lucky. Started playing regularly again 3 years ago and have my hc down to 3, hoping to get it lower...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back