Your Golf Seasons

jdjanda

Reaction score
Handicap
I find it interesting to hear what many of you have to deal with during your golf seasons. Post up with your golf seasons and what you do to accommodate your local conditions.

Here in the South we can pretty much play year round.

Winter - Cool weather golf can mean a sweater to shorts depending on conditions, I've played in 70 degree sunny weather to 40's and cold. The fairway grass is usually dormant. Other than the cold it is a great time to play.

Spring - The temps are great, and so is the golf, shorts and maybe a light jacket in the AM. Everything is usually green and lush and you can take a divot.

Summer - Early morning rounds help beat the heat, if you can tolerate it afternoon rounds are easy to find. Lots of water and energy drinks, plus an extra towel to dry off. Bring The fairways are starting to dry out and turn hard as a rock, resulting in the option of putting from 50 yards out :D Playing from the shade of the trees is a plus!

Fall - Cool mornings and afternoons in 90's Depending on late Summer showers will determine course conditions, some of the best golf, too bad the daylight is disappearing. College football means tee times in the afternoon are easy to find.

We play year round here as long as there is no snow on the ground.

Spring - Expect anything. Sun, wind, rain, snow, warm, cold.... all are likely on any given day.

Summer - Warm to hot most of the time. Low humidity and midsummer temps up to 105°. Courses are usually in great shape. Good time to hit some of the mountain courses for cooler weather, but also expect delays for afternoon thundershowers, both in the mountains and along the front range.

Fall - The very best golf of the year in Colorado. Comfortable temperatures. Sunny, dry days. You can still play some great mountain golf after Labor Day, and many of those courses lower their green fees by mid September.

Winter - The grass goes dormant and the ground usually freezes by the end of December so a different style of golf is necessary. You have to learn how to play low running shots, as it is more dependable for distance than a high shot that could bounce almost anywhere when it hits that frozen turf. Half and 3/4 punch shots are the watchword of the day.

We also get a lot of windy days during fall, winter and early spring. Depending on the strength of the weather front coming over the Continental Divide, winds blowing off the mountains can be from 20 to over 60 mph. 100 mph is not unheard of. But in the winter, some of our warmest days are due to those downslope Chinook winds off the mountains.

No golf for me from December-February. Thank god for indoor ranges and golf course simulators
We play year round here as long as there is no snow on the ground.

Spring - Expect anything. Sun, wind, rain, snow, warm, cold.... all are likely on any given day.

Summer - Warm to hot most of the time. Low humidity and midsummer temps up to 105°. Courses are usually in great shape. Good time to hit some of the mountain courses for cooler weather, but also expect delays for afternoon thundershowers, both in the mountains and along the front range.

Fall - The very best golf of the year in Colorado. Comfortable temperatures. Sunny, dry days. You can still play some great mountain golf after Labor Day, and many of those courses lower their green fees by mid September.

Winter - The grass goes dormant and the ground usually freezes by the end of December so a different style of golf is necessary. You have to learn how to play low running shots, as it is more dependable for distance than a high shot that could bounce almost anywhere when it hits that frozen turf. Half and 3/4 punch shots are the watchword of the day.

We also get a lot of windy days during fall, winter and early spring. Depending on the strength of the weather front coming over the Continental Divide, winds blowing off the mountains can be from 20 to over 60 mph. 100 mph is not unheard of. But in the winter, some of our warmest days are due to those downslope Chinook winds off the mountains.

I will play from April - September. Easter weekend is my official kick-off, so if that falls in March, I will bump it up a few weeks. After September the weather starts cooling off and even though there may be some good days, I would rather watch football if given the choice on the weekends.

We have plenty of good days over the winter when it is possible to play. My biggest things about playing are that I hate to pay the $40 to go out and either freeze, or be awful since I haven't played. I don't mind either, if I don't have to pay for it. I'll go out and shoot 100 on a 45º day to have fun with friends, but I won't pay for it. The other big thing is that the grass goes dormant and the courses just aren't very good. Again, doesn't bother me unless I have to pay for it.

My typical golf season goes from mid to late March and lasts to about Nov 1st. My course closes on Nov 1 every year. So then it becomes a find who is open and how is the weather. I have no issues golfing in the mid 40's. Just wear a winter hat and under armor.

I played my first round in mid-March this year. Last year, my last round was the first weekend in December. I was hassling the pro-shop guys in early March to see who would be opening first. I will play as long as the course isn't snow covered.

Golf all year!! :banana: From Decemer to February, might add long pants or undershirt if playing in the early morning.

Back