PapaJohick

#ShortKnockerBombs
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I know we had a recent poll with foot posture/set up, but yesterday's round has me really wondering what yall think/what you do with your setup.

I've always known that I'm unique in terms of golfing haha. Sure I can put myself into positions/stances/conform to "normal" golf ideals but it never stays consistent.

I've been struggling a little bit with consistency in most aspects of the game except putting. after a few holes of continuously missing left with either over drawing/hooking or dead pulls, I came up to a tee box that I have to hit driver on due to it being a long (for many) par 4, thinking, just get comfortable. For me, comfy is a pretty open stance relative to my line and club face. Ball off the heel of my front foot, arms slightly reaching, but not tight with my back foot slightly "flared." Took a whack at it and on a hole I typically have a 5 iron into (maybe a 6 with a tail wind), i had 9 iron in :eek:. ok sweet, lets continue this feeling. Did it across the board (less open though with irons and "normal" stance for chips) and it went way better for the back nine once I smoothed things out. As you wouldn't expect, I was not hitting nice fades/cuts. In fact I had a good push draw going out with a nice high (for me) flight. Felt like I could really give it a go without losing it way left and my hips could clear since I was standing open.

In terms of putting, again, not what most teachers would instruct these days haha and is dependent on what putter I am using ;) Feet pretty close together, slightly open to square, hunched over with natural arm hang and left hand low grip

sooo what do yall do?

Last edited:
I definitely don't flare my back foot to cure a hook/pull issue, but we're all different.

I think my stance off the tee would be described as fairly neutral overall. It always looks closed/aiming right in phone videos, but if anything I lean toward being just a bit open right now. Maybe a little wide. Definitely a bit wider than standard on my mid-short irons. And definitely more reach/further away from the ball than most. More dramatically so the longer the club. Ball position changes based on shot, but I can't play it off my left foot anymore.

My putter stance is pretty standard. I'll offset my feet or open a bit if I'm having an issue, but I think it's pretty square generally. Ball position is way forward of center. Maybe 1/2 a ball or less from left heel. I line up with my feet about an inch apart, putter centered, and then usually only my right foot moves back to address the ball.

Last edited:
Just bit closed on Driver tee shots but have been working on being more open. Front foot is flared out slightly to allow my old hips to get thru.
Irons I am neutral and same with putter.

I think I tend to bend my knees more in an effort to stay down on the ball...I have a hard time with that if I'm too upright (which goes against what some will tell you to do). Had a pro hitting next to me not long ago at the range on a course and he we started talking. I asked him what he'd change. First thing he said was I'd get you more upright over the ball. Just doesn't seem to work for me, though.

I think I tend to bend my knees more in an effort to stay down on the ball...I have a hard time with that if I'm too upright (which goes against what some will tell you to do). Had a pro hitting next to me not long ago at the range on a course and he we started talking. I asked him what he'd change. First thing he said was I'd get you more upright over the ball. Just doesn't seem to work for me, though.

I have been told plenty of times I have way too much knee flexion in my stance at address. Ill stand more upright there with more hip flexion to be over the ball. Works well for a bit, but once my body starts to get tired or maybe a few drinks get introduced haha, I start hitting very poorly and end up going back to my "comfy" position.

I also noticed less back fatigue in my comfy position vs me trying to be in a certain posture over the ball haha. swing you swing? :devilish:

I have been told plenty of times I have way too much knee flexion in my stance at address. Ill stand more upright there with more hip flexion to be over the ball. Works well for a bit, but once my body starts to get tired or maybe a few drinks get introduced haha, I start hitting very poorly and end up going back to my "comfy" position.

I also noticed less back fatigue in my comfy position vs me trying to be in a certain posture over the ball haha. swing you swing? :devilish:
When I started playing a few years ago...I took some lessons and the guy I worked with was great and kind of lived by the "swing your swing" rule. He helped me with some things, of course, but largely left my swing "intact". I much prefer the guys who will work with what you've got rather than those trying to put everyone into the same mold. You watch pros, and everyone is different. Yeah there are things that are universal (and that's what the guy worked with me on) but there are things that are unique to us all, as well.

When I started playing a few years ago...I took some lessons and the guy I worked with was great and kind of lived by the "swing your swing" rule. He helped me with some things, of course, but largely left my swing "intact". I much prefer the guys who will work with what you've got rather than those trying to put everyone into the same mold. You watch pros, and everyone is different. Yeah there are things that are universal (and that's what the guy worked with me on) but there are things that are unique to us all, as well.

I agree. biggest reason why ive never had a lesson. Not too many people around here that do that from what I have observed at the range lessons around here and from friends discussing their lessons. It's more, I want you body/arms/whatever to go like this instead of helping me use what I have and learn how to be more consistent/fix the smaller things that like you said are universals.

My swing looks more like Bubba's except I'm not as flexible.

Eh, I'm pretty neutral in everything. My biggest change has been to stick my booty out further to give my hands room to get through. It's one of my swing thoughts.

With short irons and wedges I open my stance in the front and play the ball in the back of my stance.

With short irons and wedges I open my stance in the front and play the ball in the back of my stance.

what kind of shot shape are you seeing with this? what is your miss?

what kind of shot shape are you seeing with this? what is your miss?
Most of my shot shapes as described by my playing partners would be a baby fade. And my miss would be just skulling it. As long as I don’t put the ball behind my right foot like I will sometimes with some chips I don’t have this issue too often.

Back