Your Hypothetical 2020 WITB - Whatcha Thinking?

Irons: I need to change here. The debate now is whether to re-shaft my Apex Pros or look for a set Apex Combo heads. I'm leaning toward the combo now, just have to find a set of heads.

This is interesting. Care to expand on the thoughts behind it?

I have two bags of clubs. One, my main gamer, is pretty basic. 4 woods, 5 irons, 4 wedges, and my putter. Been playing this make up for several years.

Now my second bag, which were recently given to me, is a bit of a rarity. 10.5 driver, 8 irons, 4 wedges, and my putter. The irons, and wedges are all "Ironwoods" by Tour Edge. Older stuff. I really like playing this bag of clubs. Just something about swinging these clubs that trips my trigger...so to speak.

The only draw back is I lose some distance with the 2-4 irons when compared to the other bag's 3-7 metalwoods. My scores with either bag are not that far a part from each other.

My thinking for 2020 is to play this "ironwood" bag more often just for the fun of it. I do get some funny looks when I show up on the first tee with this bag of 12 irons.

I plan to update clubs top to bottom, starting with irons and building around them. I have lots of ideas but want to spend more time hitting different options, including types of clubs and more shafts. I don't have FOMO but rather want to try to beat down some of my assumptions and biases for clubs. I'd like to say I will play whatever works best, but that's not actually true. 2020 is a year where I am going to drop my cap and consistently play in the 70s. Clubs that fit my game and goals are more important than a sexy WITB. I just need my brain to overcome my emotional rigidity to certain clubs. So not fun in terms of listing cool equipment options. But this is where I am at.

This is interesting. Care to expand on the thoughts behind it?
I struggled pretty bad with my Pros last year. Of course it comes down to the guy swinging them but I just need to shake it up. I have an Apex UT with a Recoil shaft that I absolutely mash so I picked up a set of Recoils to try out.

My original thought was to re-shaft my Pros to see the result but I keep thinking back to my Grandaddy fitting where I was originally fit in to the combo set so I'm leaning that way. Unfortunately they weren't available at the time but I think I could use that extra forgiveness in the longer irons these days. It's time to put my ego aside.

Putter: Bettinardi QB6
Wedges: SM7
Irons: Cobra King forges tec or Callaway Apex
Hybrid: unknown or none.
DI: Cobra F9 4 iron
Fairway: unknown
Driver: either new offering from Callaway or Cobra (based on fitting results and cost)

that’s my best guess.

Putter: Bettinardi QB6
Wedges: SM7
Irons: Cobra King forges tec or Callaway Apex
Hybrid: unknown or none.
DI: Cobra F9 4 iron
Fairway: unknown
Driver: either new offering from Callaway or Cobra (based on fitting results and cost)

that’s my best guess.
DSC01008-XL.jpg

Right now I'm pretty happy. 3W, hybrids, irons and wedges are pretty well locked in. Putter rotation is in it's full offseason glory, but I have a few months before I need to settle on something. The Elevado Frontline is making a powerful argument already. I may be swayed with driver this year as the new Cobra and Callaway offerings sound like they're gonna be nasty, so have to take a look at those. Only other change I could see is possibly reshafting my hybrids, but I'm kind of in the 'ain't broke' mentality there as I lean on them a good amount. All in all not terribly different than my WITB today. Of course I could totally just play with my current setup and be A-ok.

If money were no object, from what I've seen so far, my 2020 bag would look something like:

Driver: Cobra Speedzone
Fw: Cobra Speedzone
Irons: Cobra Forged Tec
Wedges: Callaway
Putter: Toulon

More than likely though, it will stay pretty close to what it is currently.

I struggled pretty bad with my Pros last year. Of course it comes down to the guy swinging them but I just need to shake it up. I have an Apex UT with a Recoil shaft that I absolutely mash so I picked up a set of Recoils to try out.

My original thought was to re-shaft my Pros to see the result but I keep thinking back to my Grandaddy fitting where I was originally fit in to the combo set so I'm leaning that way. Unfortunately they weren't available at the time but I think I could use that extra forgiveness in the longer irons these days. It's time to put my ego aside.

Okay. I was curious because I got a combo set recently and I'm leaning towards uncombo-ing it. I saw someone's bag from the grandaddy with a driving iron, just the 4-iron apex 19, and the rest pros. The apex is really forgiving, but I don't love the feel, so I might end up kind of like that. Just a 4, maybe a 5, and the rest pros. I already swapped shafts a couple times on my new set trying to find a better fit, so I hope you have better luck if you go that route. Heck, at the rate I'm pushing them out of my bag, I might be able to swap you the 4, 5, 6, & 7 heads in another month for your equivalent pros. lol

Reactions: KEV
Hypothetically speaking I am hoping my bag for 2020 stays as is. Ping g410 lst, Taylormade m5 3 wood, Titleist 816 19* hybrid, 4-gw apex combo’s, 54* Cleveland rtx 4, & either the 58* rtx or a Taylormade hi-toe 60*. Finally mySpider putter. Not liking my chances of nothing changing. I could possibly be looking to upgrade my hybrid but the Titleist is solid & a dependable fairway finder

I think my bag will stay basically as it is now. The only major change will be putting the beautiful Scotty Cameron putter that was refurbished by @Space Bandito.
I've definitely been eyeing up the Cobra OneLength irons though so if I happen into a good deal, I might give them a try.

Driver: #RangeDays Decided w/ PX Jman Custom
FW: OG One w/ PX Jman Custom Blank

Love that you’ll be gaming both custom :projectx: shafts! I’m happy with my fairways right now but I might have to give that a go... at the range at least!

I’m guessing that Ping will show up in my bag this season. Thinking the iBlade 2.0 Or i220?

I snagged a G410 LST recently for a great price, so I’m eager to get it shafted up with a gpod combo and out on the course.

Some new wedges will go in the bag too me thinks. Perhaps some SM8s...? Dunno, need to see them in person.

I'm thinking of adding a Heavenwood for those 225 yard tee shots (I lose more shots trying to control my driver than any other club) and still playing a 3 and 4 hybrid of some type. Driver WILL be changed due to swing and speed changes

Probably time I get serious about getting fit for a driver. Swing speed has gone up some making the last fitting woefully out of date. An extra 30-40 yards is easily within reach by optimizing all the data. I’d sure rather hit pw into greens instead of 8 iron on the 4’s

Bag will probably stay pretty static this season. I'll probably drop the 5W that I literally never hit and add a CBX2 58*. Other than that I don't see a whole lot of changes unless I run across a great deal on a set of Apex 19 irons. I look, literally every week so odds are I'll run across something I can't refuse but, until then, the bag will stay pretty much the same this season.

My current thoughts for next year are as follows, all of which could be complete and total BS

Driver will stay the same Callaway EPIC SZ TD but the shaft could change
FW's are up for grabs, maybe the new Callaway models
Irons most likely will change to Miura TC-201 but the new Callaway's have a shot
Wedges will most likely stay Miura or other JDM
Putter is safe for the foreseeable future

There's only so much you can tell hitting into a net, not a simulator but a plain indoor net, but I've got to say, the Titleist U-510 driving iron really seems to pop with a graphite shaft.

I'm a driving iron devoteé.
I've got a Mizumo Fli Hi, an authentic JDM Epon AF-901, an inexpensive Dunlop knockoff of a PRGR 200i, and even an early to mid-eighties Wilson 1200GE 1-iron.
That's lots of driving irons for a guy who hits lofted fwy mtlwds, not long irons or hybrids, from the fairway.

The club is more expensive than it probably should be, and as I say, I haven't hit it into live space, but it really seems to pop. If it looks as good outdoors, it's always a possibility.

Club Champion took care of my 2020 needs for right now. ;)

Current Bag is as follows:
Driver: Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 9.0
3 wood: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15.0
4-pw: Callaway X Forged 2018
Gap wedge: Callaway Mack Daddy 4 50 degree
Sand wedge: Callaway Mack Daddy 4 56 degree
Lob Wedge: Callaway PM Grind 2.0 60 Degree
Putter: Toulon Stroke Lab San Diego

For 2020, I'm either adding the Epic Forged 4 iron or the X Forged UTI in 18 degrees. Before my next golf trip, I'll probably swap the 3 wood for an Epic Flash 3 wood simply since it has a removable head for ease of flying. For my birthday I'll probably replace the gap and sand wedge with the Jaws wedges when they're having a sale or something.

Oh man - how to call something like this so early... LOL

Driver no changes/additions from my current options: Callaway Rogue SZ or Mizuno ST190G
Fairway wood no changes: Callaway Epic Flash SZ 3W
Hybrid no changes: Taylormade M6 19deg
Wedges no changes: Vokey WedgeWorks K grind 54/58

And now for the tougher calls...
Irons: Cobra F9 Speedback or Callaway Apex Pro 19 or Miura TC-201 or Hogan PTx Pro
Putter: Betti Raw BB0 or Edel E3 or Odyssey EXO 7 or SWAG Raw something

I expect my 2020 bag wont be much different than it is now. Heres my current bag:
Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* (set to 12*), Tommy Armour Atomic 15*, Tommy Armour Atomic 5, 7 and 9-iron, Tommy Amour GXT CB wedge and Wilson Augusta putter. Im honestly very happy with my bag and dont see myself making any club changes.
Probably the only question mark for me is the ball that Im going to play. Ive been playing the Wilson Duo but recently picked up a box of Pinnacle Soft and Pinnacle Rush. I also recently picked up a dozen Maxfli Straightfli and Softfli balls when Dick's had the 2 for $25 deal. Ive heard good things about those balls, so we'll see. I probably will also pick up some Titleist Trufeel and some Snell Get Sum, just to try them.

I just bought some 2019 P790's and some Steelfiber 95s to install, a GAPR 21* to dial down to 20 and use from the fairway and as a driving iron.
Cobra F9 3 wood isn't going anywhere.
Probably replace my Vokeys with Milled Grind 2 but I have to hit them and may just stick with my Raw Vokeys for one more winter if the grooves hold up.
Bobby Grace 6330 is always safe.

So my 3hypothetical changes are:
Cobra Speedzone Extreme
Callaway Super Hybrid to replace my F8 5 wood OR Speedzone 5 wood
Milled Grind 52*/58*

Cobra Speedzone Extreme
Cobra F9 3 wood
Callaway Super Hybrid/Speedzone 5 wood
GAPR Mid 4
P790 4-pw

Vokey/Mill Grind 2's
Bobby Grace 6330

I've pretty much got my bag set up for 2020. Here is what has gone in so far.

Big Max Golf Aqua Sport 2 Golf Cart Bag
M6 driver-Paderson Ballistic KG70-D20 shaft
Srixon z585i 5i-PW-Accra iCWT 75 shafts
Cobra King's Satin V 56* wedge-Accra iCWT 85 shaft

Still to be determined is my 5w and hybrids.

Attachments

• 20191224_222610.jpg
    20191224_222610.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 20191224_223614.jpg
    20191224_223614.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 8
  • 20191224_224115.jpg
    20191224_224115.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 10
  • 20191224_224126.jpg
    20191224_224126.jpg