Your local (non-course) golf resources

GoldenBuff

slow horse
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
How well served do you feel by your local golf resources (retail, fitting, lessons, access to Trackman/GCQuad/..., simulators)? And are your local resources on the upswing, downswing, or same as it ever was?

Over the last year we have seen several golf businesses pop up, and the local pro shops are upping their game as well. Not long ago I was a poor-me, whiny b****h about the golf resources available. Now I can hit balls year-round and test clubs and get fit at multiple places. There are at least 3 places where I am comfortable just showing up, hanging out and talking golf. We don't have any big box retail, but these local small golf businesses are very nice. I asked about non-course, but we've also seen new courses in the last 10 years. I wonder if we are seeing part of a larger trend or simply the result of a growing community that is sports crazy, golf included. My hunch is that there is a larger trend given things like TopGolf. I am curious.

Define local. Within 1/2hr all I have are 3 courses and a DSG & Dunham’s. If I stretch that to an hour there’s a restaurant/bar that has sims, a course with a sim, and 1 crappy fitter. Damn, I gotta move ?

We have a DSG.

For my interest, I define local loosely. For both urban and rural golfers, an hour or longer drive can be trivial. But I think whatever anyone wants to call local is fine.

We have a DSG close, a couple small shops within an hour, and a golf galaxy about an hour away.

Within 30 min, 4 courses, a DSG or two, various other retailers, a top fitter in the state, a couple ranges that have pros, and maybe some other things

Nothing but 2 golf courses within 30 miles. Not sure what the private one has as far as extra resources, but the public one I am a member of does not have anything in the way of technology for fitting and only pretty much stocks some shoes, a few bags, balls and accessories.

We have a number of great options in the “Chicagoland” area. All of the big box golf stores, three Top Golfs and a number of really nice indoor ranges - with and without simulators.

I‘m fortunate to live close to a nice municipal “dome range” in Buffalo Grove, IL. It’s a two level range and a great, large practice green. My instructor also teaches there during the winter, which is a bonus.

My fitter/instructor’s actual facility is about an hour and 20 minutes away. He’s got 3 simulators, a large putting area, a putting lab, and another area with room for a few people to hit into a big net (this is where he does fittings). It’s in an old factory so it has a nice open feel with really high ceilings, etc. It’s a very cool space - i just wish it was closer!!

Thankfully he lives 15 minutes away from me and he has arrangements with a few local places (like those jump around gymnastics places as an example) to set up a traveling office.

Other than that I have a Dick’s Sporting Goods (their golf “department” is meh at best) and a Nevada Bob’s.

I’m in the suburbs north of Dallas...Frisco to be more specific. There may be a place with more golf resources (parts of Florida?), but I doubt it’s by much. Courses, stores, instructors, fitters, Top Golf, and anything you could want are within a few miles of my house. UST Mamiya and Ben Hogan are in Fort Worth (about an hour away). Heck...before long the PGA will be just a couple of miles away.

Off season, we have a less than useful DSG with a bunch of busted up stuff, and one local course that has 2 E6 sims. Really hate northern Maine in winter! ☹

I have a DSG and Golf USA close enough to me. One course local has trackman and provides lessons. There is one small golf shop with a decent selection and great service that I also use.

Lots of courses, DSG, Golf Galaxy, Roger Dunn, PGATSS and numerous fitters all within 30 minutes to an hour from here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sport check

We have it pretty good where I am. PGA SS, Golf Mart (part of WW Golf), Golf Galaxy along with Club Champion and Cool Clubs within an hour's drive. A TopGolf is on the way. Options abound from affordable munis all the way to Pebble. Golf wise, we are pretty blessed here.

Back