Your Opening Tee Shot

RealPretendPsychic

Ask me about the Callaway Apex CB’s!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Tell me about your opening tee shot. Are you calling for a breakfast ball before the tee is in the ground or ready to rock and roll after working through a large bucket on the range? Cold top swinging out of your shoes with nervous energy or putting a smooth swing on it and piping one down the middle?

Yes to both depending on the day!
Nothing better than piping one to start the round. Very rarely get to a range before a round.

Tell me about your opening tee shot. Are you calling for a breakfast ball before the tee is in the ground or ready to rock and roll after working through a large bucket on the range? Cold top swinging out of your shoes with nervous energy or putting a smooth swing on it and piping one down the middle?

This one! :ROFLMAO:😭

I'm all over the place. Last opener was toe'd 45 degrees right of the tee box, hit a tree and bounced over to the putting green. I walked over, picked it up, walked back to the cart, drove out to about 150 from the tee, and hit my third. My buddy, to balance out my abomination, promptly hoseled his 45 degrees to the left, rolling it about 20 yards. He walked over, picked it up, got in the cart with me, and dropped where I did, proceeding to hit his third.

The group behind us gave an audible sigh of depression after the spectacle. But, I'm happy to say, I felt the wave of relief when we just scooted down the fairway instead of teeing again.

Have the fellas circle up, toss a tee in the middle of the circle a few times to determine starting order, go when it is my turn, then go do my best lol. I'll have a 3 wood in hand, tee it up, and try to put something out in the fairway.

I don't hit many balls, if any at all, before a round. If I hit balls, it will be about 5-10 and usually with a mid or short iron. So, my first driver swing is usually on the first tee. I just try to swing easy and put the ball into play. On my home course, there is not much trouble off the first tee.

I am not good at giving myself enough time to fully loosen up, but it really hasn’t punished me this year. I’m not sure if I have a stiff swing because of this or if I’m terrified of going OB left on the opening hole of my home course, but I often leave it out to the right.
6FBBC02E-EA29-4D63-B914-7490F046EEAF.jpeg

Anything can happen. I probably hit many more good opening tee shots than I deserve because I typically don't hit balls beforehand. Sometimes that opening tee shot is my best one of the day, sometimes I might pull hook it OB, a few rounds ago I flat out topped one that barely dribbled off the tee box. Ironically that was the opening salvo in a 2 day tournament and I'd absolutely striped the 3 or 4 drivers I hit off the range just a few minutes earlier.

Last edited:
I will put my normal, easy swing on the ball, while usually finding the fairway.

If I hit range balls prior to my first tee shot, I will end my range session with what ever club I intend to use off that 1st tee.

Still another option I might use if I'm not warmed up properly, is to hit a tee'd up ball with my 5i. Maybe follow that shot up with my 3w.

It just depends on how I feel getting started with the round.

If I have time to at least do a dynamic warmup I have confidence with my first tee ball. Start from behind the ball, pick my intermediate target, step in and let it go.

For me the key is having a routine and going through it. Treat it like any other shot.

I'm kinda fortunate both #1 & #10 are pretty open fairways on my home course (we've been stuck starting on #10 due to frost delays). After #1 is a non-driver par 4 then a par 3 so I really try to groove a smooth driver tempo on that first tee ball of the day.

I am usually rushing out for a quick nine after dropping kids off at school so my opener is typically a cold driver or 3 wood. First one is usually right down the pipe then i get loosened up and it goes everywhere but straight.

Not really different from any other tee shot for me. I set up to hit it where I want it to go, sometimes it goes as intended, sometimes it doesn't. :confused2:

At my Tuesday league course we start off with a Par 5. No range to warm up so that 1st tee shot is crucial so I try not to swing out of my shoes. I am working on improving my drive this year with a right to left ball flight instead of just hoping I get it in the fairway and if I swing out of my shoes my pull hook raises its ugly head.

We do not do breakfast or Mulligans on the first tee. I simply can't stand to be the group on Deck and watch people reaching for their pocket before they finish the through swing....warm up

I usually give myself too much time before to warm up. I tend to stand around the opening tee box for a good 10min. That being said my usual miss on the first tee is leaving the face open. I go up and try to remember to close on the down swing. I don't worry too much about it. I have hit in front of a descent crowd before and there can be nerves but once the tee is in the ground it is time to go.

I never prepare normally. I’ve started just taking my b-21 3 hybrid off the tee for at least the first couple holes to loosen up. Something I know I can hit straight.

However, due to mostly just walking straight up to the first tee with no stretching or anything. Generally I always propose a group breakfast ball unless we are playing for league/tourney or for cash. Aren’t obligated to take it, and sometimes just the idea of getting to hit another keeps people out of their first tee jitters and they can put a good one down there

My home course opens with a par 3 (I’m not a great iron striker so am not a fan of par 3’s to open). I generally don’t warm up, so it’s a super stiff 8 iron that I pull a little left 8 times out of 10.

If feels like that first driver is either the best drive or the worst drive of the day for me.
I never hit driver on the range so the course is the only time I use it

I'm always at the course early and loosened up before the first tee off, so I hit my normal drive, usually a slight fade which is perfect for our 1st hole.

I always try and warm up before playing so that the first swing off the tee isn't too much of a shock to the system.
Lately on competition days I have started visualising the walk onto to the tee and then the well struck tee shot on the journey in the car on the way to course as a positive enabler to what lies ahead, so far it has had more positive than negative outcomes as a result.

today first drive was a big block right at 7am. I maybe should warm up.

the first hole in general is my least favorite of the round. and the tee shot and first iron shot are definitely the worst. i am usually coming straight from my bed to the course, so i am tired and stiff. i just want to get the first tee shot somewhere in the fairway and not roll it....lol

We have a pretty easy opening hole at my course with a generous fairway. If playing the blue tees then there is a bunker that I can easily clear so I aim at it which gives me quite a bit of room. If I really hammer one or it's very dry then the OB starts to come back in more the closer to the green. The driving range is OB left but it really takes a hard pretty good pull/draw to be in any danger there.

From the gold tee box I really have to bomb a great drive to be able to clear the bunker. When playing from these tee I usually hit a little easier driver and am just trying to poke one down the middle about even with the bunker or maybe a little past.

Probably blocked to the right about 40 yards. My game is a mess.

Back