Your Opening Tee Shot

We don't have a range so it is always cold on the first tee. We generally allow a breakfast ball because of this if a person wants it.

Opening tee shot is usually pretty good for me. I always try and take it smooth and slow to start out on the right foot.

With a proper warm up, I'm confident I'm putting it down the middle. I live for adrenaline on the first tee. ;)

I'm all over the board, sometimes pipe one down the fairway and sometimes ground one into a creek.

I tend to get a little nervous on the first tee when the course gets backed up and several groups are watching you tee off. Everyone is anxious that the pace is already slow and I don't do well with that tension. When that's the case (this happens most places we play) I'm usually just trying to get my tee shot somewhere playable and re-set mentally on 2 and get my round started then.

The first hole at my course is perfect for getting out of the car and heading to the tee. I am still tight and can work a nice hard cut off the trees through the fairway. It is a hard hole to start if you fear the big right miss. 5FA92178-1CDC-4290-84EC-F13453F6D281.png

For me, I use the first tee shot (entire hole) to find and set a groove. I keep it simple and easy, try to just swing easy and get it in the fairway. Smooth/even tempo swing and let it rip.
Now the 2nd/3rd hole.. that’s a whole different animal! Lol

40 minute warm up, chipping, putting, and hitting balls. Off to the first tee with anticipation, not nerves. Generally keep it in play but who knows, this is golf!!!!!!

Eagles Landing hole # 1 on Saturday; smother hook driver 69 yards, cold top 3 wood 38 yards, 5 iron 177 yards to 10 feet, made par. CRAZY GAME

First ball off the tee is usually pretty good. Stretched at home, couple of warm up swings and I'm good to go. After that it becomes a crap shoot.

One friend and I have our usual rules. If neither of us gets a chance to warm-up then we decide yes/no on breakfast balls before either of us steps up to the tee. In addition to the first tee breakfast ball we also allow 1 mulligan per 9 holes. These rules are mainly for my friend who only gets to play 3 or 4 times a year, but I make good use of the rules too haha.

When playing with others those rules are usually out the window. First hole I just want to get the ball in the fairway, or close to it, so I go for a smooth swing.

Depends. If its a casual round there may be an agreement beforehand that includes a breakfast ball. If not then hopefully a smooth don't hurt yourself type of swing.

Edited to answer the question :LOL:. Generally speaking it's accepted that the breakfast ball is in play when I play with folks. Primary reason is I'm usually on a time crunch so will be lucky to arrive with enough time to roll some putts, let alone hit the range. I'd say I have to use it ~40% of the time.

Last edited:
If it’s with my 3 wood I’m topping the s**t out of it and if it’s my driver I’m slicing it like deli meat

I've never been a huge fan of the breakfast ball

It's a tossup for me. Sometimes I get to warm up, sometimes we head straight to the tee and go off ice cold. I could pipe one down the middle, or it could be up on the hillside to the right or in the bushes down to the left. I never know until club meets ball.

My only priority on the first tee is to get a ball in play to start the round off right, so I generally go for an easy swing and just try to put one out there on something green and playable.

Tell me about your opening tee shot. Are you calling for a breakfast ball before the tee is in the ground or ready to rock and roll after working through a large bucket on the range? Cold top swinging out of your shoes with nervous energy or putting a smooth swing on it and piping one down the middle?

I am wondering ...:unsure: no, I am not. Grip down, make a full turn and smooth swing at 80% - that makes it (almost) sure that I sequence correctly.

Quick whip as I get out of the truck, get to the tee box, 3 quick swings to get some blood flowing, 30 seconds down, and get after it, making sure to turn off ball. Generally up the left because the lower half is nowhere near ready, and the tightness on the upper half actually creates quite a bit of quickness, but right in line with my FIR%.

The main courses I play is a either a wide open par 5 or a short dogleg where a 200 yard shot sets up a 130-150 yard shot depending on where you end up to start. Usually my first shot is decent enough where if I haven't had a warm up I am okay.

I always try to hit a small bucket before I go play. Then I should be good to go right off the 1st.

Usually my first tee shot is somewhat breathless with my left shoe untied and a tee borrowed from my playing partner. My bag is thrown on the cart unstrapped and driver headcover lying nearby. I’ll then hit whatever shot and run into the clubhouse to pay my green fee hoping somebody saw where it landed.

All because someone felt the need to have a pop-up phone con an hour before my tee time 🤬😜

I am usually rushing out for a quick nine after dropping kids off at school so my opener is typically a cold driver or 3 wood. First one is usually right down the pipe then i get loosened up and it goes everywhere but straight.
I'm with ya on this one.... there's probably a message in there somewhere in that scenario that we're both ignoring. :oops:

The first hole at my course is perfect for getting out of the car and heading to the tee. I am still tight and can work a nice hard cut off the trees through the fairway. It is a hard hole to start if you fear the big right miss.

Or are a R-->L player!! Looks like a great hole to get blocked out right off the bat by any run through. By hole 2 I can cut a drive, but on the 1st it's about a 6% success rate without warming up. 😆

I stretch for 2 minutes on the tee box and hit it straight. It's likely to be shorter than normal (how far I'd hit it if I were actually loose), so I club up if applicable.

~Rock

Back