YOUR Opinion: Biggest golf fashion faux pas?

No go to the following;

Collars on shirts turned up
Collarless shirts
Hat/Visor on backwards (unless you are 5 yrs old or younger)
Flat bill hats (Unless you are a gangster)
Un-tucked shirt
Anything denim
White belts
Sandals (I love mine at home, but never on the course)
Iron covers

Bucket hats. I get it, but they are ugly. Makes a person look like they should be pumping gas in Oregon.
Skin cancer overrules fashion or at least it should.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Haha I still wear longer socks with shorts some times, butttt I am slowly transitioning to the no or at least almost no show sock. Saw myself on the mirror and was astounded at the epic dad look I was giving off....

I don’t have any real qualms with golf fashion. I guess for me it would be the hogan hat or tee hanging out of the hat haha.

Although golf Sandels are ugly, I would just go barefoot to golf instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Somewhere on the list needs to be the bald guy wearing a visor with his tomato-red head shining above it. What exactly is he trying to accomplish with the visor?

I tend to see a lot of that on Yankees who play our course Masters week, first time out in the sun since October and that head will be fried to a crisp by the ninth hole on their first day.

But probably the biggest one in my book are the young men (say teens and 20-21 year olds) who've lately been rocking shorts with the mid-calf black athletic socks. Not too long ago that would be a look you might see in the parking lot of Cracker Barrel down in Bluffton. Now it's the standard golf attire of high schoolers.

I am informed by a high-school-aged young woman of my acquaintance that the long black socks with shorts look definitely "is a thing" nowadays.

I have a 14 year old son, he doesn't own any ankle socks at all, he gets long colorful socks and wears them with either tennis shoes or slides and matches the color to his outfit. We live in Louisville, KY

I will say one thing in CRW's defense, there seems to be a Mason Dixon line on this IMO. When we go to church camp in Chattanooga the teenagers from places like KY, TN, OH, & VA are mostly rocking the long socks and slides. The teenagers from GA, AL, & SC are usally wearing those strappy outdoorsy sandals with no socks at all. I think those sandals are Teva's. Meanwhile I am no socks rocking my Olukai flip flops cause that's what I do.

Last edited:
This socks talk reminded me, but there are a lot of younger guys on tour who even wear the no show socks with pants which seems odd. Maybe keeps them a little cooler on hot days. I was going to post it in another thread, but since Golf Ghost posted a pic (of an outlier) I thought I’d post it here:

Brooks-Koepka-WITB-putter-shoes.jpg

Bet they aren't wearing socks at all. I wouldn't wear them if I knew I was putting on brand new shoes every single day.

I agree on the tall socks things. It's definitely a thing again unfortunately, and it's a terrible look.

It was big in the 90s, unfortunately I partook in the look. Everyone had either Nike or Adidas mid calf socks.

Now it's back with a vengeance, and it looks just as bad as it did when I did it.

I agree on the tall socks things. It's definitely a thing again unfortunately, and it's a terrible look.

It was big in the 90s, unfortunately I partook in the look. Everyone had either Nike or Adidas mid calf socks.

Now it's back with a vengeance, and it looks just as bad as it did when I did it.

It’s so unfortunate, but I think just a myth : )

Tall Socks with the shorts is a no go for me

Cargo Shorts.......nope

Mismatch shades of a color.....not all blues, oranges, reds, pinks, green, etc. are the same. Make sure colors match

Wrinkles in the shirt like you just picked it up out of the dirty laundry bin and threw it on to play golf.......c’mon man

Beat up shoes that look like they were 3 bucks at the local garage sale........just clean em up

Belts that don’t match the outfit.......i.e. brown belt with orange shirt black shorts

And since i’m on a roll here i might as well throw in the guy that refuses to wear pants or layers when its 35* outside thinking they’re tough and then complain about the cold.

This was a fun read. As a guy who plays on a muni, and the next closest course is 35 minutes away, i see all of this. Jeans with work boots. Tank tops on dudes. Jorts. Yea we have it all, but we all tolerate it.

That said, at least they are wearing clothes. The people who come out in camo cargo shorts and mountain hiking boots, ok, fine, but put on a damn shirt. No one cares how ripped you think you are.

~Rock

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

I did once play a local Muni with a guy in Carrhart pants and steel toe boots who beat me. I made fun of him until I was behind.

I did once play a local Muni with a guy in Carrhart pants and steel toe boots who beat me. I made fun of him until I was behind.

The steel toes are what get me. Have seen it before as well. Like who wants to carry around all that weight?

at least this look hasnt come back from my school days in the 90s

NIKELAB-MW-sock-SX7198-010-7_1024x.jpg

Sports hose ftw, it seems to have died out except for the NBA crowd.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

My biggest fashion faux pas is non-pros wearing pants when it's freaking 90 degrees outside.
The people that take a towel and tuck it into their back pocket, or even worse tuck it into the waistband at the back of their pants. Stop carrying it around like you're a center on a football team.
Anyone my age (or even close) that tries for the Ricky Fowler look! :dohanim:
I'm going with the towel hooked onto the belt loop. I understand it falls more in the accessory, not fashion but still. Awful
The 1970s.
Wow. After some of these responses, I understand why folks hate me around here.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

For the record, I rocked a white belt last Thursday. Blue shorts, blue shirt, white/blue shoes, white hat, white belt.

I'm sure I felt some of your disappointment from milea away.

Keep going. Your at less than 10 out of almost 50 kids. Right on track for my 5 out of 500. Math is hard though.

I never said “no one was doing it”. I said, it’s NOT “a thing”. Just because a small percentage of people are doing it doesn’t make it a thing.

But again, you do you!
I'm with ya man, but you might as well give up. Once they tell you your wrong, you'll never convince them even with facts like math.

I'm with ya man, but you might as well give up. Once they tell you your wrong, you'll never convince them even with facts like math.

.....but the math was wrong. A simple count from the photos proves that.

.....but the math was wrong. A simple count from the photos proves that.

How so?

Haha.
Yeah 10-12 of 48 and 5 of 500 is exactly the same.
If 25% of something is not "a thing" as it pertains to fashion, I am not sure what is.

Its like saying spikeless isn't a thing, because less than 25% are wearing them.
The entire idea that long socks are not a thing for a younger generation has been shown in this thread (both by parents and teachers), and all over social media for a couple of years now.

Haha.
Yeah 10-12 of 48 and 5 of 500 is exactly the same.
If 25% of something is not "a thing" as it pertains to fashion, I am not sure what is.

Its like saying spikeless isn't a thing, because less than 25% are wearing them.
The entire idea that long socks are not a thing for a younger generation has been shown in this thread (both by parents and teachers), and all over social media for a couple of years now.
I count 7 long black socks out of 34 kids that I can see their ankles. Were not talking about coaches or the one there hidden, are we?

For the record, I never said it was or was not "a thing". I just advised him that certain people are closed minded and like to band together to counter outside thoughts.

I do think there's a bit of Baader-Meinhof Phenomenon going on here. It's not a bad thing. You just have to realize what's going on.

Hi @canadan

I count 7 long black socks out of 34 kids that I can see their ankles. Were not talking about coaches or the one there hidden, are we?

For the record, I never said it was or was not "a thing". I just advised him that certain people are closed minded and like to band together to counter outside thoughts.

I do think there's a bit of Baader-Meinhof Phenomenon going on here. It's not a bad thing. You just have to realize what's going on.

Life's a garden, dig it!
5042da7c5b0931529d3d2f55a094c304.jpg

The tube sock experience is significant at my course.

I doubt there’s a day that goes by out there when I see less than a few kids rocking them.

I tried it. Didn’t make a ton of sense because I may as well be wearing pants. I think I’ll stick to swiftwick zero.

The tube sock experience is significant at my course.

I doubt there’s a day that goes by out there when I see less than a few kids rocking them.

I tried it. Didn’t make a ton of sense because I may as well be wearing pants. I think I’ll stick to swiftwick zero.

tenor.gif

Back