YOUR Opinion: Biggest golf fashion faux pas?

Skinny pants.

Gross.

zippered-iron-cover-long-neck-iron-cover-with-zipper-10.jpg
Ugh, yes. Those zippered headcovers just look downright stupid. Plus, you risk the zipper scratching the clubhead which defeats the purpose of the headcover entirely anyway.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I have some Lululemons like that LOL! By far the most comfortable pants I own. Wear them even though my boys cut on me, but only when it's cool outside because....

My biggest fashion faux pas is non-pros wearing pants when it's freaking 90 degrees outside.
I wore them in AZ at 100°+ and was none the worse for wearing them. I, actually, probably stayed cooler at least the day I had the white pants on.

Yesterday and today, I saw something I hadn’t seen. Yesterday, this guy was wearing gray shirts and shirt with a black belt, black shoes and a black cap. He had a black cell phone case on his belt. Today, black shorts and shirt with a white belt, shoes and cap. And a white cell phone case.

So, I’ll add outfit color-coordinated cell phone cases on one’s belt.

Ugh, yes. Those zippered headcovers just look downright stupid. Plus, you risk the zipper scratching the clubhead which defeats the purpose of the headcover entirely anyway.

I played with a guy Friday that had the Red, white and blue ones. OMG I was trying so hard not to be annoyed by them. Just looking at those stupid things wanted me to rip them off his bag and throw them in the water.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1605043621815.png

Ugly hats are not good for fashion.
I know I'm shallow, but I broke up with a girl in high school when she showed up golfing in one of these. I couldn't even look at her. I know I'm a bad man.

Normal socks with shorts. Why oh why
How do you define "normal" socks? Dress socks: I'd agree. But it's not uncommon for me to wear white over-the-calf athletic socks with shorts. Believe it or not: Exceedingly comfortable. Keeps the bugs and sun off your legs (mostly) and much cooler than slacks.

View attachment 8973694

Ugly hats are not good for fashion.
I have one of those :), only mine's gray. I love it. Wear it every time I golf. You would've believe the number of complements I've received wearing that hat--from both girls/women and other guys. (Straight males, as far as I know. [Not that it matters.])

Last edited:
How many times have white belts been mentioned? Because I can tell you no matter the number its not enough..

Oh well. Ninety percent of the time I wear golf sandals, cargo shorts and a T-shirt. Maybe a light jacket if cool or cold.
Edit - have never tucked in my shirt while playing.

anyone caught wearing "golf sandals" should be immediately bundled into an unmarked van and never seen on a golf course again

You called....

1605045112909.png

How many times have white belts been mentioned? Because I can tell you no matter the number its not enough..
I still don't get the white belt hatred out there. But I'm a fan of bright and flashy/patterned on the golf course. I'm a fairly conservative dresser elsewhere so Golf is a fun place where "hey its just golf!"

Whatever Ian Poulter is wearing.

You called?

Seven years ago - they may have been given to me in a giveaway or I bought them off eBay at closeout. Worn once, never to be seen again. Grey and pink aren't a good look on me. But his Blackwatch pants ... look out. I kept a pair of those.

I'm spitting my coffee out looking at this...

And I think the shoes are original True ... another fashion faux pas

But nice coordination, I believe.

IMG_1133.jpeg

Last edited:
You called?

Seven years ago - they may have been given to me in a giveaway or I bought them off eBay at closeout. Worn once, never to be seen again. Grey and pink aren't a good look on me. But his Blackwatch pants ... look out. I kept a pair of those.

I'm spitting my coffee out looking at this...

And I think the shoes are original True ... another fashion faux pas

But nice coordination, I believe.

View attachment 8973699
Great pic, that's a framer for sure!

We used to play bar golf back in college before my actual golfing days and would always dress up in the most ridiculous "golf outfits" we could put together from a thrift store. Every time I see Poulter it reminds me of that, seems like he's going for the most outrageous thing he can find.

Teenage boys have always worn those damn Nike crew socks, it’s like a right of passage apparently, hell even I had them.
It's been a thing since the Fab-5. Early 90s for sure.

Saddle shoes.

Black ankle socks... all the time.

Speedos would probably be the only thing I don't want to see on the golf course. My home course is a cheap 9 hole course $1500 unlimited walking golf and they have deals for families and pool discount combos so I see all sorts of people out there, but most of the time it looks like they are having fun so that trumps whatever they are wearing in my mind. There are many times when it's 90+ degrees and I say to my buddies that I am going to start playing in basketball shorts and a tank top lol..

Sandy Lyle may have something to say here.

Iron covers......It’s not to try and be cool or fancy or any of that. Irons get beat up on each other in the bag. And I may want to resell them at some point. Or trade them in. The covers keep them in better condition and therefore help maintain their value. It’s that simple.

Fashion faux pas? None. If you have the game to back it up you can wear whatever you want. But don’t show up in plaid knickers and a fancy hat and then hack holes for a 107. My thought is always “Should have spent that money on lessons” 🤷‍♂️

Back