Your Own Personal Driving Range?

golfinnut

DANNY LE! WHAT A GUY!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
HEAT!
Saw this on Reddit .... if you had the land, would you do something like this? I think it's a cool idea. Might teach you to hit the ball straight.

How many balls would you lose left & right? +/-100?

driving_range.jpg

Would be great to have that much land where you can take full shots. Need to hire someone to go get those balls for you though.

Right, as tempting as it would be the thought of collecting balls in the woods would quickly squash that idea, pass on the range, but maybe a par 3 for sure!

Nice idea but I would put a Par 3 in with that space.
Over/under in the woods would be +1000

Ya would be cool, but I would have balls lost everywhere.

I've honestly thought about building a "range" in my "backyard" after we relocate once the kids are out of school. Wondering just how deep and wide you'd have to make it to make it usable.

How many I lost would be heavily dependent on how many I hit.

Sounds good! Not looking forward to collecting all those balls though...

Looks fun, maybe for chips only or I'd lose way too many balls.

I agree with making it a little par 3, think that would be a lot of fun.

I’ve got the land, it’s mostly hillside but I did something similar for awhile. Could hit up to 6i. But I got sick of climbing the hill to pick up the ammo. I ended up just buying a net to work on my swing/contact. I can figure the rest out at a range or the course

Great use for the land... great prep for 18 at Augusta :D

I'd easily lose 50% of the balls a hit to the woods.

Last edited:
Nope, wouldn't bother. A waste of good or bad golf balls that I would lose in the trees.
I'll stick with a regular driving range.

I saw this on another forum. I have enough room for a short range, and I already hit around my land at about 120 yards. I could clear some more land and probably go to 150-170 depending on how I set it up. Driving would be another story I would have to see how much room I have. I have an inside practice area with a net which works pretty good and I am not but fifteen minutes from the local golf course where I can hit balls.

Nice set up for sure. I'd love to have a short game course like Dave Pelz has in his backyard--that thing is a work of art!

I‘d like to think I’d make a little par 3 or short game area. In reality I’d do pretty much exactly what that guy did. Lose a lot of balls in the woods. :ROFLMAO:

I was going to build a green and pitching area, but wow....when I looked into what it cost, I realized I could go to the course for years to come and never spend that much!

Depending on distance, I’d build out like 3 par 3 holes approx 20 yards apart. This way, sure would lose a few balls but hopefully be just inside the tree line. Good way to really focus on par 3 GIR.

I saw somewhere a guy built a Par 3 in his yard. That’s more fitting then a driving range for me. I hit my irons fairly straight most of the time. Anything else and I’d be losing 50% of what I hit.

Do it like Jim Nantz did in his backyard? Only if I had the ??

Nantz_Golf.jpg

That seems like a fun idea, but I would lose way too many balls on that range.

I have a wedge range in my backyard, usually practice my wedges up to 100 yards away. I'm going to try to reel mow a "tee box" this year, with some seeding to help fill in any divots I take. I have enough trees that I can shoot at one for 45, 50, 55, 60, 65, 75, 80, and 100 yards away. Really enjoy it during the summer months.

Now, if the land behind me goes up for sale, we might be talking about a nice range of about 200 yards or so, or maybe a nice par 3. Wishful thinking i'm sure, but I could think of worse things to do with 6 acres of field behind my house!

Heck, it just looks to me like another way to for me to loose too many golf balls and I won't even be on the course. :LOL:

My folks have the room but I'd not want it that tight!!

I just sold a house a couple moths ago to a friend. It has a nice big field that sits to the side and in front of the house. Not quite long enough for a driver or 3W but you could get away with anything else. He is supposed to cut it down and I am trying to convince him to let me use it for that. Mostly I want to set up a short game area with measured and known distances to have a solid place to really work on dialing in that part of my game.

I would not because it would be a hassle to maintain. For the last decade I’ve been anywhere from 500 yards to 6 miles away from my club that has a great range and amazing short game practice area for those shot less than 60 yards. The trick for me is to put more practice time in on those partial wedges instead of just playing golf 95% of the time.

Heck, it just looks to me like another way to for me to loose too many golf balls and I won't even be on the course. :LOL:
With a name like fairwaynut I figured you always hit em straight!

Back