Your Personal Top 10 Courses

For me it is the Hideaway courses, Sand Hollow, then everything else. I haven’t really traveled to play much and haven’t played at nice courses. Very few times out of state and I need to fix that.

My Top 10
  • The Hideaway Clive (La Quinta , CA)
  • Caledonia (Myrtle Beach, SC)
  • The Hideaway Dye (La Quinta , CA)
  • True Blue (Myrtle Beach, SC)
  • Buffalo Ridge (Branson, MO)
  • The Dye Preserve (Jupiter, FL)
  • Conservatory (Palm Coast, FL)
  • PGA National (Palm Beach, FL)
  • Memorial Golf Course (Houston, TX)
  • The Golf Club of Houston Tournament Course(Humble, TX)
I have some courses in Michigan, Wisconsin, Utah Washington I want to try and get to.
I’m happy to see Buffalo Ridge showing up a few times. It isn’t super well known - at least relative to a lot of other top courses - but those who have played it tend to love it.

I had never heard of it and just went and looked. Whoa is right. “…perhaps the most exclusive club in all of France…”

I had never heard of it and just went and looked. Whoa is right. “…perhaps the most exclusive club in all of France…”
YEEAHHH. That one is seriously impressive. That ranks up there on the exclusivity list. Would love to hear the story of that one @macolyte if you don’t mind sharing it.

After running some errands and stepping into a Dicks and seeing some clubs...Ha...Well I saw a couple photos and realized I forgot a few great places which would have crawled into previous top lists...So just to be the anal one that I am, yea, I get it...Here's the other 50 which would make up my top 100. The first 7 would definitely be higher/ And how I forgot Kidnappers and Cliffs...Ha
In no particular order
Cape Kidnappers
Cabot Cliffs
Cabot Links Highland Links
Kauri Cliffs
Harbour Town
Yale
Fairfield
Stanwich
European
Machrihanish
The Island
Carne
Burnham Berrrow
Royal St David
Philly CC
Philly Cricket
Huntingdon Valley
Moselum Springs
Saucon Valley
Stonewall
Galloway National
Hamilton Farms
Lancaster
Scranton
Wannamoisett
Shelter Harbor
Misquamicutt
Hudson National
Sleepy Hollow
Westchester
Haig Point
Kinloch
Essex County
Sand Hollow
Johns Island West
Streamsong Red/Blue
Caves Valley
Bayonne
Liberty National
Taconic
Aberdovey
Enniscrone
Machrie
Ballyliffin Old/Glashedy
Essex County
County Louth
Black Diamond Quarry
Couty Sligo
Portmarnock
Can tell you're an architecture guy like me... Highland Links wouldn't be in the top 1000 for most people due to it's conditions, but the course was one of the most incredible courses I've ever played. Just kept thinking "How the *bleep* did he build this???"

YEEAHHH. That one is seriously impressive. That ranks up there on the exclusivity list. Would love to hear the story of that one @macolyte if you don’t mind sharing it.

I was just really lucky. It was part of pro-am tournament in France. I think the organiser of the pro-am knew a member and begged him for years that he could take a group out and play. The year I took part in the pro-am was the only year they allowed it. In 4 days we were lucky enough to play Morfontaine, Les Bordes, Golf de Chantilly and Le Golf National.

Morfontaine was obviously the crown jewel. It's easily the best course in Continental Europe. The place also just has an aura around it that's very hard to describe. You can immediatly tell it is very old money only.
I didn't take to many pictures, because I wanted to enjoy the golf course as much as possible. But I have some that I can share:

IMG_20190827_083345.jpg

IMG_20190827_092436.jpg

IMG_20190827_123308.jpg
IMG_20190827_123058.jpg

Ozarks National - MO
Greywalls - MI
Prairie Dunes CC - KS
Paynes Valley - MO
Highland Springs CC - MO
Indianwood CC - MI
Buffalo Ridge - MO
Highland Meadows CC - OH
Paiute Wolf - NV
Branson Hills - MO

I was just really lucky. It was part of pro-am tournament in France. I think the organiser of the pro-am knew a member and begged him for years that he could take a group out and play. The year I took part in the pro-am was the only year they allowed it. In 4 days we were lucky enough to play Morfontaine, Les Bordes, Golf de Chantilly and Le Golf National.

Morfontaine was obviously the crown jewel. It's easily the best course in Continental Europe. The place also just has an aura around it that's very hard to describe. You can immediatly tell it is very old money only.
I didn't take to many pictures, because I wanted to enjoy the golf course as much as possible. But I have some that I can share:

View attachment 9059917

View attachment 9059919

View attachment 9059920
View attachment 9059921

Shared four more than exist, which isn’t many. Back in November, there was a charity auction for a round with a guest that was donated by the daughter of the founding member of the club. Had to have gone for well over 5 figures.

That’s a really cool experience you had there, and I’m mad jealous of it. Seems the rest of the courses played weren’t exactly throw away rounds either 😍

Erin Hills and Sand Valley would be 1A and 1B, then any of the Kholer properties. I would love to find a hidden gem not widely known and play that. I love those kinds of course.

I cant recommend this course highly enough: Lawsonia Links Course

DEED9366-12BE-416F-A68D-E57E303D0A08.jpeg

Sold! When are we playing!! Lol

I'll meet you. Have a buddy that we play there every year when we meet for work. He's a member and would join us, for sure!

Had a little extra time today and after playing a few rounds at new courses in Phoenix last week, I was thinking about what my favorite courses are that I’ve played and decided I’d share it and am curious to hear about your top 10 as well!

My Top 10:
1. The Hideaway Clive Course (La Quinta, CA)
2. Scioto Country Club (Columbus, OH)
3. Ak-Chin Southern Dunes (Maricopa, AZ)
4. The Hideaway Dye Course (La Quinta, CA)
5. Hazeltine National Golf Club (Chaska, MN)
6. The Golf Club @ Stonelick Hills (Batavia, OH)
7. Colorado National Golf Club (Erie, CO)
8. Longbow (Mesa, AZ)
9. Ohio State University Golf Club Scarlet Course (Columbus, OH)
10. Poston Butte (Florence, AZ)

Additional Fun Facts
Childhood Course: Eagle Creek Golf Club (Willmar, MN)
Current Home Course: Ohio State University Golf Course (Columbus, OH)
Hidden Gem: Dacotah Ridge (Morton, MN)
Goal Course to Play this Summer: The Virtues (#1 public course in Ohio)
Bucket List Golf Course: Estancia Club (Scottsdale, AZ) or Coeur d’Alene (ID)

Now I’m curious to hear about yours so I can write places to look for when I’m traveling in the future!

Virtues is a lot of fun! Played there with my wife for my birthday.

Royal Melbourne
Kingston Heath
NSW
Sunningdale
Hankley Common
Hollinwell
Pebble Beach
Copperhead Innisbrook
Worpesdon
Ashridge

Honourable mentions to

Streamsong Red/Blue
Wailea Gold
Gulf Harbour
Victoria
Cape Wickham
Woburn Dukes and Duchess
Hadley Wood

and finally the most beautiful nineholer on the planet

Wawona

Golfing | Yosemite National Park CA | TravelYosemite.com

1) Arcadia Bluffs
2) Kiawah Ocean Course
3) Calusa Pines
4) Forest Dunes
5) Torrey Pines
6) Golden Horseshoe
7) Turtle Point Kiawah
8) Osprey Point Kiawah
9) White Witch
10) Firestone CC (North)

I am such an idiot. How could I possibly have forgotten about Tobiano?

I haven't played a ton of courses, most of these are in state.

RTJ- Capitol Hill- Judge
Cinnamon Hill, Jamaica
Talking Stick-THP
Hermitage- General's Retreat
Gaylord Springs
Covered Bridge
Chariot Run
General Burnside
Dale Hollow
Griffin Gate

I just thought it was the most picturest and a great layout. Payne's is great, and of course Tiger, then @LLIB & I had a terrible day to play at Ozark. It could all change next time cuz I can't wait to go back when it's all green.

The wind that day sucked but I’d go back in a heartbeat

Royal New Kent (Va)

Last edited:
Been lucky enough to play a lot of great courses. Different reasons why some of these made it over others I've played. Some are multi course complexes so yes technically more than one course but I've put in one slot.

No particular order:

East Lake - GA. (History and service)

Pinehurst #2 - NC (only course I've played on the resort. Great service. History. Challenge. Turtleback greens are scary and fun at same time.)

Wolf Creek - NV (scenic)

Menele Bay - HI (very scenic)

Kapalua - HI (Plantation, Bay, Village. All very scenic and great service)

Bayhill - FL (History, feel, service.)

We Ko Pa - AZ (scenic and challenging. Both courses are great)

Desert Forest - AZ (I'm a sucker for any Coore-Crenshaw design. 3rd on the list)

Kiawah Ocean Course - (scenic and tied for most challenging course I've ever played)

TPC Sawgrass Stadium - (played both courses. Dye course is really good but Stadium is another level on design. History, very challenging as well)

In no particular order…

Public
- Greywalls
- The Wilderness Club (MT)
- Royal New Kent
- Old Toccoa Farm
- Shadow Creek
- Prairie Club
- Cape Arundel
- Wine Valley
- Mossy Oak
- Black Mesa

Private
- Wade Hampton
- Davenport
- The Honors Course
- Shelter Harbor
- The Ledges (AL)
- Kinloch
- Camp Creek
- Currahee Club
- Blue Lakes (ID)
- Secession

My Top 10 looks like the Top 10 list of any Golf lists greatest. Each year I have a hit list of places I am investigating angles to get to.
In no particular order My Top 10
Pine Valley
Merion
Oakmont
Old St Andrews
Royal County Down
Royal Dornoch
Fishers Island
National
North Berwick
Muirfield
I have 15 others that if you ask tomorrow I might slide into the list.
I live in Scotland and manage to play the Old Course every year and Royal Dornoch 3 or 4 times. In the North of Scotland, Castle Stuart and Nairn added to Royal Dornoch make a nice North of |Scotland tour

I live in Scotland and manage to play the Old Course every year and Royal Dornoch 3 or 4 times. In the North of Scotland, Castle Stuart and Nairn added to Royal Dornoch make a nice North of |Scotland tour
Have a 17 round trip set for August Brora to North Berwick and everything ya should play between.

Fantastic.

Brora is a great start and august is a great month to play over here. You will love it !!!!

1 - Old Head
2 - Puerto Los Cabos
3 - Whisper Rock (both courses)
4 - Forest Highlands (Canyon course)
5 - We-Ko-Pa (both courses)
6 - Sedona Golf Resort
7 - Kingwood (Island course)
8 - Inn of The Mountain Gods
9 - Spyglass
10 - Rio Pinar (sentimental pick!)

Back