Your Playing Experience with (local) tournaments?

GolfSwag

Reaction score
Handicap
I am considering signing up for a local weekend tournament here at one of the private clubs, and it's handicapped, 36-hole stroke play with "a minimum of five flights including a professional and senior flight." Cost for me would be $160, which includes the food, golf, and whatever prizes they are awarding. It does say that handicaps must be attested by club professional or handicap chairman, so take that for what it's worth. Since this tournament is an invitational it's open to the public, which means the chances for sandbagging open wide I would think. I'm currently playing to about a 7 handicap, and I've seen these tournaments where someone will claim high single-digit and then go out in the tournament and shoot 70-71 to win the thing. I mean, on my best day I can sniff a 73 or 74, but in a tournament, not likely.

With all that said, what are some of your experiences playing in local tournaments like this? This is an annual tournament here and it's a pretty big event. It does invite a lot of attention, so it should have a pretty big field. I'm really just worried that I'll be wasting my money due to sand bagging. I suppose I could sign up and just assume that will happen and enjoy the golf. But I'd like to think that there would be someone enforcing handicaps, even during the tournament by adjusting scores according to some standard of measure.

Anyone please feel free to chime in.

Lots of THPers do it.

I only do THP Events now.

The sandbagging part will suck, but I always enjoy getting out and playing with different people
in tournament conditions. Great way to build your game and mental toughness, while playing golf.
I say go for it!

Ive played on a local mini tour which is very well organized and run, but in the event that an "outsider" comes in and blows everyone away with a bogus handicap there's very little they can do about it going through the official channels. It is made right eventually but it's not a quick process.

My opinion is just to call the sandbaggers out. Usually those guys have a certain air about them. If a guy shows up who hasn't posted a score in two months and rattles off a 72-72 as a 9 handicap it just doesn't add up and odds are he's done it before.

I play a lot of tournaments, both as a single and with my wife.
Yes, the sandbagging can really suck, but it doesn't happen as much as it could.
You just have to go in with the understanding that it could happen and you have to decide whether it's worth the risk of your entry fee.
$160 is a pretty good price for a 2 day tourney that includes the golf and food.

Last edited:
I actually just got back from one this past weekend. I love playing in tournaments like that. The one I played in may have had a little sandbagging, but there wasn't any extreme cases of it, and most of the time it didn't pay off. They are usually a ton of fun and I love playing in competitive golf.

Sandbagging happens. You could sign up for the tournament and just have fun with it.

~Rock

Lots of THPers do it.

I only do THP Events now.
If I go down Rodney Dangerfield style, will you Noonan JucyLucy to victory?

I have seen it in scrambles for sure.

I dont play in net only events any longer for that reason. Its irritating to know that even if I play my best, I have little to no chance to win and my entry fee is pretty much a donation. I still enjoy THP events, but that is about the only exception.

There are enough gross side tourneys around for me to get beat legitimately in so I go that route.

I would rather donate to a better golfer straight up then enter a net tournament with sandbagging being key to winning.

I say do it. If it's not a lot more than you'd normally pay to play there i think the competition helps sharpen your game. Hopefully you're considered the sandbagger when it's over.

I've played on few GHIN tournaments. Sand bagging is getting out of hand. Some these guys have a 24 hcp then shoot a 82 and claim "it's the best round of my life" BS.

$160 for 2 days of golf and food is a bargain to me. Providing you go out, play and have a good time... it's worth it.

I play a lot of tournaments (both at my home club and on a local 'tour' here). I've done it for years now and I find it's the best way to know how I'm actually playing. Between the tournaments and the money games at the club... it keeps me focused. When I go out and play alone or if I'm just with my kids... I tend to lose focus.

Don't let the potential for sandbaggers ruin the experience. I've seen it from the guys who claim to be 19 handicaps and from the guys who claim to be 4 handicaps. The thing I've noticed is that karma will bite those types sooner or later. Do it for the experience and the fun. If you place well... great. If you run into a sandbagger... you still got to play 2 days of golf in tournament conditions.

- Chuck

The metro parks in Cleveland run good low priced events to go with course championships and city finals. There is a single day one for $50 this weekend I am doing. It is scratch so would have to shoot a 1 in 100 round to have any chance to win but I much prefer that over any net format.

Back