Your Putter Top Line

Canadan

LGND
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
What is your preference on top of the putter?

Top line?
Flange line?
Sight dot?
Multi-line?
nekkkkkkkkid?

And why? Any real reason?

• On Fire
Reactions: JB
What is your preference on top of the putter?

Top line?
Flange line?
Sight dot?
Multi-line?
nekkkkkkkkid?

And why? Any real reason?

StrokeLab Topline.GIF

I like the small topline, the single line for alignment (pairs very well with TT tech in the CSX Balls)

Also the cleaner look of the bend vs a plumbers neck is settling to me.

Nekkid!!! I just like the clean look on the topline. If there is a line behind and below the top line that is fine.

It must have a line down the middle. I use that to aim.

Nekkid!!! I just like the clean look on the topline. If there is a line behind and below the top line that is fine.
I think naked looks crazy good, but man, I struggle to have big success with it.

I think naked looks crazy good, but man, I struggle to have big success with it.
It does look better for sure, but putting wise I think the topline aids me as well. I just like the cleaner look.

I'm not real picky right now about that. I've not used anything, yet, that bothers me.

Naked. Love it.

I like having my current set up of 3 dots in a row. Adds an extra layer of alignment that combined with the lines that go along the "wings" of my 7S putters, just gives me a lot of confidence putting.

As long as it is a single alignement aid, I am good with it. Dot or line on top line or line on flange are all good for me. Just not a fan of multiple alignment lines on the same putter head.

Because of eye dominance, I prefer dot or naked.

But, with 2135 the line works quite well which is a pleasant surprise.

Single sightline for me. I need someting for aiming purposes.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

My favorite is a simple site dot with naked being a very close second. I love how a dot gives me something very simple to focus on and I think it just looks cool.

I am working through this question. My eye says naked, but its hard to put into practice. So that leaves more practical options. Sight Dot is probably my favorite, followed by thin topline. Flangeline third. I'm not so sure they really affect my putting other than aesthetic feels, I don't feel un-confident with teh "wrong" alignment aid.

Had always preferred a clean top line with a single alignment line in the flange. That has changed with the Spider X as I really like the contrasting alignment mark that is on the head.

Completely empty is my favorite top line.

Completely empty is also my favorite flange appearance.

For that matter completely empty would be my first choice for the cavity and sole of a putter.

I have a 70's vintage Anser with clean top line, clean flange, clean sole and then a Ping logo with a bunch of other gobbledygook in the cavity. That's the best I've been able to do.

P.S. My favorite Anser was a real boo-tique purchase. Set me back $28.50 a couple years ago, including the $15.00 shipping. Near perfection like that don't come cheap!

I like the flange line on my Palm Beach but also dig the multi-line on the Marxman.

I've never had a putter without an alignment aid of some sort.

Naked. Love it.
I like a small line on the top line. I think its easier to line up than with the line below on the flange. I've never tried a single dot but that is something I'd be interesting in trying though I think I may still need the line on the flange.

I like a long straight line the best. The line on the Marxman makes it super easy for me to line up putts.

I have a couple of ideas, that have probably been done, but I haven't seen them. Looking for an Anser style putter with a THINNER blade topline. I line up by seeing the perpendicular = squaring it up, not by looking at an alignment line. Alternately, put a thin high contrast line along the topline, doesn't have to be full width, closer to face = better than at the back.

If there has to be alignment, why don't they put it behind the blade, and put contrasting colour in the well on either side of the alignment line. Nothing on the topline, thanks.

Depends completely on the head, so no set preference. I love the 3 dots on the #7’s, but if it’s a blade I would prefer nothing and then the line on the flange. Can change by the putter though.

Flange line has always been what I putt best with. Looks wise though I prefer nekkid.

I remember maybe 5-6 years ago asking three different "boutique" putter vendors if they could make my ideal putter. I wanted it face balanced, with a 79 degree lie angle and with no stamping or writing on the topline, flange, cavity or sole. All three of them told me that no-writing thing was something they could not agree to. It had to feature the maker's name somewhere. And two of the three balked at the very upright lie angle, the third said he would "try" to meet that spec. And we're talking $400+ custom putters.

I also contact Ping WRX department once about one of their models (can't recall the exact version, maybe an Anser 5-something) with the alignment line in the flange deleted. Could not be done, that was apparently cast in from the factory.

Funny how "custom" doesn't actually seem to mean getting what the buyer wants. It mostly seems to mean adding geegaws and decorations to a standard design, not leaving stuff off.

Back