Your Putter Top Line

Gotta have some sort of aim point ... whether it be a dot or line. Something to give me an idea of where the center strike is supposed to be. It should be obvious, I know, but I still have issues hitting the center all the time. That's why I come up short on a lot of my putts

Might move to nekkid before long, I have flange lines currently plus a single top line and it obviously hasn't been working well lately. Try something else.

Long single line for me. A blade line doesn’t cut the mustard, a dot can go **** itself. ?

A single top line is preferred.

I prefer a top-line. It's part of what appeals to me about those Cleveland Frontline putters.

I've seen versions of all of them that I like. I really wish I knew if I putted better with one style vs the others, but I don't. Would be cool to have the same putter with all 5 styles and see if there is any obvious advantage for me.

Single top line for my putter.

I'm loving the site dot right now.

I really like aiming with the narrow topline of my putter it makes it easy to focus on direction. The site dot then just tells me where to to strike. Alignment lines a lot of times look off so I'm trying to use them more as a strike putter here instead of alignment lines.

I think naked looks crazy good, but man, I struggle to have big success with it.

... I think I have posted this before, but almost all see the line as vertical or horizontal. Like a pool cue stroking straight thru to the target or like a hockey stick lining up a slap shot. Those that see the line like a pool cue like sight lines down the target line on the top or on the flange while those that see the line like a hockey stick like a dot or a line along the topline. Some OEMs know this and will put both a horizontal and vertical line on a putter like a T line. I see the line like a hockey stick so I prefer a clean putter so I can just align the top line with no distractions.

... I think I have posted this before, but almost all see the line as vertical or horizontal. Like a pool cue stroking straight thru to the target or like a hockey stick lining up a slap shot. Those that see the line like a pool cue like sight lines down the target line on the top or on the flange while those that see the line like a hockey stick like a dot or a line along the topline. Some OEMs know this and will put both a horizontal and vertical line on a putter like a T line. I see the line like a hockey stick so I prefer a clean putter so I can just align the top line with no distractions.

Can't speak for you but I doubt I'm the only "hockey stick" visualizer who is therefore totally unable to do the alignment-line-on-ball trick. I can't really imagine how that works unless have either a physical or an imagined "pool cue" on your putter to line up with the line on the ball.

But I don't really think of it in hockey stick terms. It's really like lining up any other golf club. On every club except putter we have no choice but to aim it "hockey stick" style.

I prefer a sight dot or oval. It's just a nice clean look.
IMG_20190511_182314.jpg1557623818720.jpg

Long straight line seems to work best for me. I use a straight back, straight through stroke with minimal to no arc. The line helps me be sure I'm staying straight towards my target and not pulling, or more rarely, pushing.

I’ve never really used much other than lines on the top. I’m curious how a dot works

I’ve never really used much other than lines on the top. I’m curious how a dot works
Here's a dot on my LowTide Fin0611160916.jpg
to show how it looks on a different style of putter.
For me, I seem to concentrate more with a dot than say a flange line.

Nekkid. I like a clean look. I do like lines on a big, mallet putter but on a blade the line is so short that it doesnt do a whole lot for you. That would be about like putting a scope on a snubnose pistol.

Bumping this back up.

I've transitioned to using a flange line over my previous site dots. Not sure why. I still use the topline to align my putter, but putts seem to hit my intended line more often with the flange line over the site dot.

I feel a lot more confident with the flange line even though I prefer how the site dot or naked looks.

Any theories why?

On every club except putter we have no choice but to aim it "hockey stick" style.
Do folks ever use the grooves as an aim line? It helps me align when chipping and pitching to be more “pool cue” style

I prefer a long single top line. Just works well for me for alignment.

Has anyone switch from top line to flange or back the other way?

I’m 100% on team single top line alignment. I think it looks the best and performs the best for me.

flange lines rule

I align from the back of the putter through the ball

This works for me. F74D3D15-0D87-4EFC-AACA-6AD9B1ED700D.jpegF74D3D15-0D87-4EFC-AACA-6AD9B1ED700D.jpeg

I prefer no sight line. I don't think they help. At least not me.

Back