Your Rankings: Top Sounding/Feeling Hollow Body Irons

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
SOFTCAPPED
On yesterday’s Range Days live stream, @JB threw in the curveball question to @Canadan and I to rank our top sounding/feeling hollow body irons and we conversed on it a good bit (if you missed the show, it’s up on the homepage and our THP TV YouTube channel, give it a watch!) and I wanted to put it to forum discussion.

Dan and I have our lists, but what is yours? And why?

I've hit a few of them in my recent iron fitting, but certainly not all of them. Of those I've hit, the MP-20 HMB would top my list. The Homna XP-1 and Cleveland UTX were up there too, and like you, I'd put the TM P790 pretty low, although I did hit it well. I did not hit the Cobra irons.

I really haven’t hit enough options to have a good ear. That said I love the Apex 19. My buddy plays Mizuno and I like the sound of those.

Never hit any. 😕

PXG’s are really nice. Better than my P790 2i in sound and feel.

The Ping i500’s look amazing, but feel hard to me. Same for Titleist T-MB’s.

I don’t recall whether I’ve tried any others at the moment.

It is tough as I have not hit some of these side by side at the same time, and mostly indoors so whatever that is worth.

Ben Hogan Ptx Pro feel pretty smooth to me. I would venture as good or better than HMB. I hit Forged Tec once about 7-8 months ago and recall they felt fine but did not do much comparing that day. I recall hitting UHX and being pretty amazed.

I would love to hit all of these side by side outdoors someday, as the whole topic has drawn me in.

On pure strikes, I would have to go HMB, Forged Tec, P790, then i500 (these are the only ones I have tried.)

Across the face: Forged Tec, HMB, P790, then i500.

Best: Forged Tec/HMB
Good: p790
Bad: i500

Haven't tried: Everything Else. I have heard rave reviews on the PXG line up.

Of those I've hit, I'd have to say the Mizzy HMB is tops so far.

of the two I have it, i remember being neutral on the i500 and hating the p790

I hit the new forged tec last week and thought they sounded pretty good.

I hated p790 the first time I tried them, but with a different shaft I thought they sounded better. not sure why, maybe it was just me hearing things differently one day vs the next.

other than that, I can't think of many that I liked the sound/feel. I grew to like the j15 driving forged, despite the high-pitched *tink* at impact.

I've played the Cleveland UHX and Ping G700 hollow irons. I now play New Level MODB-1 hollow irons. The NL irons in no way sound hollow, just a nice thunk impact sound, and the impact feel is solid feeling unlike the other 2 hollow irons I've played.

Best Miz HMB. 1A may be the Callaway epic forged.

Worst P790 Ti. :sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick: may be the worst feeling iron I have ever it.

Everything else is in the middle somewhere.

1. Tour Edge EXE220h
2. Cobra T-Rails

For me
1. PXG
2. HMB
3. 790
I500 worst feeling by far

On pure strikes, I would have to go HMB, Forged Tec, P790, then i500 (these are the only ones I have tried.)

Across the face: Forged Tec, HMB, P790, then i500.
who uses the whole face? were all internet golfers here.

Best Miz HMB. 1A may be the Callaway epic forged.

Worst P790 Ti. :sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick: may be the worst feeling iron I have ever it.

Everything else is in the middle somewhere.

P790 Ti feels awful.

I have Cobra FTs and that’s the only hollow body I’ve hit. To me though, it is perfect on the sound and feel

It’s difficult for me to rank them because I have hit them over an extended period of time, even as far back as two years ago. My fear is that recency bias would play a factor. With that very large caveat, I would probably rank the ones that I have hit as follows:

Mizuno MP20 HMB
PXG/Cobra Forged Tec tie
Callaway Epic Forged
TaylorMade P790
PING i500
Titleist AP3
TaylorMade P790 Ti

This is not my ranking of the irons as a whole, just sound/feel. The why is simply what I remember perceiving as feeling the most satisfying with solid strikes. I am presuming that the copper in the Mizuno really does affect the feel/sound. PXGs always felt fantastic to me, although I have not them for over two years. I think everybody has been impressed with the feel of the Forged Tecs. I am still in love with the Epic Forged. It is such a beautiful looking, wonderful combination of tech and decent looking profile and they feel great, too. Contrary to many, I like the P790s, as do the masses. It is the best selling iron ever introduced by TM (as I understand it) and the iron that really changed the game to create the player distance profile. It must feel ok, right? The others begin to feel less soft and plush to me.

I’ll say this, some of you who’ve only hit one or two including the 790 are doing an injustice to modern hollow body designs. The 790 sound/feel is soooooooooooooooooooooo poor compared to so many out there now.

Rankings for irons I have actually gamed at the range and on the course as premium balls do seem to make a difference if all your range has is beat up old rocks for balls.

PXG 0211 by a long shot

TM P790 (2017 version)

Ping i500

Ping G700 - easiest to hit and most forgiving but the large head size and no fill leads to a poor feeling and loud head. If all you want is high and straight and don’t care about looks, feel or sound and the soles work for your style of swing I don’t believe there is anything more forgiving but will not be everyone’s cup of tea.

Gaming the 0211 as they offer by far the best feel and sound while still being plenty forgiving. From a long time Ping player they have the forgiveness of the G25 in a head that looks like the iE1 but feel and sounds so much better.

I have not enjoyed a set of irons this much in a long time.

For me on sound/feel

UHX
Forged Tec
HMB
i500
P790
G700
p790 (2019)

Back