Your Rankings: Top Sounding/Feeling Hollow Body Irons

The only hollow body iron I have ever hit was my beloved Browning 440 Plus irons from back in the early 80's.
I loved those things.

I'm very limited on the hollow clubs that I have hit, but I really didn't like the i500 or Forged Tec. Not sure why. Maybe it was just a different sound

Rankings for irons I have actually gamed at the range and on the course as premium balls do seem to make a difference if all your range has is beat up old rocks for balls.

PXG 0211 by a long shot

TM P790 (2017 version)

Ping i500

Ping G700 - easiest to hit and most forgiving but the large head size and no fill leads to a poor feeling and loud head. If all you want is high and straight and don’t care about looks, feel or sound and the soles work for your style of swing I don’t believe there is anything more forgiving but will not be everyone’s cup of tea.

Gaming the 0211 as they offer by far the best feel and sound while still being plenty forgiving. From a long time Ping player they have the forgiveness of the G25 in a head that looks like the iE1 but feel and sounds so much better.

I have not enjoyed a set of irons this much in a long time.
I'm gaming the 0211 and couldn't agree with you more. The feel and sound of this iron is so clean. I never thought I would ever game a PXG but the price made me try them and after that it was all she wrote. Love these irons!

I find the UHX sound really good. Distinctive and confidence inducing. I can't say I have hit any other hollow bodies to compare the UHX to unfortunately.

I havent hit a ton but:
1) PXG
2) HMB
3) Apex 19

I know when I really connect with my PXG 0311’s as there is an unmistakably solid ‘click’ they make. One of my favorite sounds!

UHX for me, but then again it's the only hollow body I've ever hit.

So addictive though when you hit them solid.

would love to hit a few mentioned :cool: uhx, forged tec, HMB

I really haven’t hit enough options to have a good ear. That said I love the Apex 19. My buddy plays Mizuno and I like the sound of those.
Same boat here. My old Nike Vapour Speed were hollow body, but I haven’t heard enough in person to tell.

@Jman, do you count filled clubs as hollow body?

I really have to try the UHx at some point. They are one of the most under the radar irons out there and sound like a great deal for the money. This will be a good thread for anyone in the market and considering the hollow bodies and seems to reflect what has been gathered across many threads. Would be nice to have a poll - one for sound/feel and one for performance.

Never hit one. Want to though

Best to worst:
Ben Hogan PTx Pro
Ben Hogan PTx
Tour Edge Exotics Iron-Woods
W/S C-300 Forged/ Ben Hogan EDGE Tie
Titleist AP3
Ping i500

PXG
King Forged Tech
Maltby TS2
P790
I500

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Best to worst:
Ben Hogan PTx Pro
Ben Hogan PTx
Tour Edge Exotics Iron-Woods
W/S C-300 Forged/ Ben Hogan EDGE Tie
Titleist AP3
Ping i500
I didn't get enough swings with the PTxPro to really rank it, pretty good though. I forgot about the TEE Iron-Wood, I have a 4-22* and it is very nice, not quite up ther with the MP-20 HMB, but very nice.

For me on sound/feel

UHX
Forged Tec
HMB
i500
P790
G700
p790 (2019)

So, for you, there is a discernible difference between the OG P790 and the 2019 version? I haven’t hit the newer version. How is the OG better? Truly curious...

I’ll say this, some of you who’ve only hit one or two including the 790 are doing an injustice to modern hollow body designs. The 790 sound/feel is soooooooooooooooooooooo poor compared to so many out there now.
I've said this so many times... Outstanding product, that absolutely 100% missed on sound.
Wish it didn't, too. I'd love them back in the bag.

(and before I get blasted, I paid for a set of them hahaha... I put my money out there)

So, for you, there is a discernible difference between the OG P790 and the 2019 version? I haven’t hit the newer version. How is the OG better? Truly curious...

If my memory is accurate it's in the kind of click-shudder you get in the new ones. They seem harder. I play one of the 2019s and they are an amazing example of how people really don't care what things feel like as long as it works out. Which breaks my heart in a way, because to me it's a feel game. The old ones from what I remember weren't quite as bad. The 19s, and I play one, honestly feel god awful to me. You can flush one and it still feels like it went off the topline. Just has a certain extra click to that 'firmness' and sends a weird shudder through your hands. The club works great for me, and I still love the look of them compared to their competitors, but I would never want someone learning the game to play them. The sound and feel is terrible. Just one guys opinion though, and the i500 don't bug me as bad as some so...

I've said this so many times... Outstanding product, that absolutely 100% missed on sound.
Wish it didn't, too. I'd love them back in the bag.

(and before I get blasted, I paid for a set of them hahaha... I put my money out there)
Same. Bought. Played. Wanted to love. CLACK. Couldn’t.

Same. Bought. Played. Wanted to love. CLACK. Couldn’t.
We're all idiots for our own reasons.

Is it better than the RocketBladez tour days? Hell yes.
Did I sell them after shooting a 64 with them? Hell yes.
Do I regret it? Nah.

We're all idiots for our own reasons.

Is it better than the RocketBladez tour days? Hell yes.
Did I sell them after shooting a 64 with them? Hell yes.
Do I regret it? Nah.

Would you have sold them if they had delivered your first HOI?

Would you have sold them if they had delivered your first HOI?
Probably. It sounds insane, but it's one of those things where sound just doesn't work.

I live for the moments where my club makes that ONE sound that has the whole group going "holy **** that was nice" - you know what I mean? That, for me anyways, would never ever come off a P790.

Back