Your Tips For Mopping Up the Short Ones

KZG Golf

NEhomer

Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I've been putting with the Odyssey V Fang face balanced model for a couple of years now and I've been real solid on the short putts with it, however, I've found two things to key in on.

If I remember to turn my shoulders and to keep the stroke short, I make 'em every time (provided I've read it correctly). The ones I miss are when I get too handsy or a tad too long.

Have you identified your keys to consistency?

Snickerdog

Team THP 2019 Grandaddy Alumni
Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
5.7 Grint
I think the big thing on short putts is to not overthink them. Check the line, address, take your practice stroke and go. Standing over a short putt or over thinking it usually has a bad result.

snafu

Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
good to know ill be trying that on my putt out

Jman

#JakeNation
Albatross 2020 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
My literal thought, “back of the cup, firm”

Jman

#JakeNation
Albatross 2020 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap

mikeg_74

2015 #TheGrandaddy Alum & 2019 #AssCap
Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I think the big thing on short putts is to not overthink them. Check the line, address, take your practice stroke and go. Standing over a short putt or over thinking it usually has a bad result.
this for me. Don’t spend too much time. Trust your stroke and go.

Stryker

Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
I am backwards I guess. I tend to make a lot of longer and more difficult putts but put me 2.5-5’ from the hole and I fall apart. I honestly think it’s a combination of 2 things there for me. One being confidence because I have been doing this lame stuff so long now.

The other is I have a really difficult time adjusting for a short enough stroke on short putts. I know that sounds weird but I have the same issue swinging any clubs. It’s really hard for me to take a small swing. Even really short sided chipping is the same. I guess one day I just need to go practice nothing but small swings and putting strokes.

mmaynard11

Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
This is exactly what i was going to say. If I think about a short putt 9/10 I will miss it.

ApexFan

Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
For me it’s a short stroke.

Jimmy3864

“JimmyD”
Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap

93civiccpe

Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I look at the hole, look at the ball, and Smith stroke through the ball and keep my eyes on the spot the ball was sitting and listen for it to drop

KEV

Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Putting Triple Track in to play for me was a game changer on short putts. Having it lined up properly frees me up to make a firm stroke.

Mad_Brad

aka braddman19
Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap

Fish it out.

I really think putting is a thing that I get far to into my own head about. Do this, don't do that..... Better to not think about any of it.

zbeekner4

Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I never miss a short one.

That’s why I always pick those up as a gimme. :LOL:

McLovin

feelz good 2 b a Gsta
Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
triple track! and keep your head down.

NEhomer

Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Don't think about it, back of the cup.

Fish it out.

I really think putting is a thing that I get far to into my own head about. Do this, don't do that..... Better to not think about any of it.
The problem with this is that it's nearly impossible to do...to "not think about it." When it's to card your career low score, you're gonna be thinking all right. The question is, what are you going to be thinking about? There's simply no avoiding nerves and the more you fight them, the more they influence your stroke. I think that having one or two simple stroke keys to focus upon removes the negative influence that "trying not to think about it" produces. I mean, what is it that you're trying not to think about in the first place? That's right; not missing the putt.

Make a shoulder turn, keep the stroke short.

Try it!

DataDude

Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
If you're putting it with the pin in, thinking hit the pin works for me. My mind tries to slide it to the left nor tight of the pin if I am thinking hit the hole while the pin is in there. Once I focused on hit the pin I quit pushing and pulling the short ones as much.

WLG1952

Reaction score
Handicap
16?
On shorter putts, i just figure I am going to make them.

I am an aggressive putter. My keys are a quick read to get my line, and rolling the ball on that line without any fear of missing that shorter putt.

Obviously I don't make them all, and when I do miss, it's usually do to a poor read on my part.

Being aggressive for me, is never rolling the ball short of the hole.

NEhomer

Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
On shorter putts, i just figure I am going to make them.

I am an aggressive putter. My keys are a quick read to get my line, and rolling the ball on that line without any fear of missing that shorter putt.

Obviously I don't make them all, and when I do miss, it's usually do to a poor read on my part.

Being aggressive for me, is never rolling the ball short of the hole.
Yes, getting it to the hole is also important. My club pro never leaves one short. I do way too often.

Lol! ...and what's worse than a 3 footer coming up a half a roll short....dead center!

SunnyWalker

Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
10>
It all starts with my setup, no matter what length putt.

Putter flat and square to my line, take my grip, stand tall enough that my putter is very, very lightly soled....then I press just slightly forward with my hands until my left wrist just kind of locks in place... this gets 0* loft on my putter face....back and through and listen for it(no peek) to go in

Turtlerancher

Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Pick one.
The problem with this is that it's nearly impossible to do...to "not think about it." When it's to card your career low score, you're gonna be thinking all right. The question is, what are you going to be thinking about? There's simply no avoiding nerves and the more you fight them, the more they influence your stroke.

Try it!
The second sentence in this quote is part of the problem. The pressure we put on ourselves by keeping track of our score while playing causes all kinds of problems. I've learned to not even pay attention what the score is until after the round.

ArmyGolf

Rise & Grind!
Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
RCGA 7.9
Loose grip pressure, never give the hole away, firm.

NEhomer

Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
The second sentence in this quote is part of the problem. The pressure we put on ourselves by keeping track of our score while playing causes all kinds of problems. I've learned to not even pay attention what the score is until after the round.
Great point. I try to not know my score too. Sometimes though, it can't be helped and if you are closing out your career round, you'll be aware that the putt is important.

Welcome to The Hackers Paradise

Don't just play golf, live it!

Register Log in