your town's legendary restaurant ?

DG_1234

Reaction score
Handicap
Here in SF there are thousands of restaurants, but the one that stands out as "most legendary" is the House of Prime Rib. It is packed with tourist and local customers feasting on prime rib from 4:00 p.m. until after 10:00 pm 360 plus nights per year, for more than 50 years now.
In your town if there is a locally owned restaurant (no chains) that has been doing great business for decades and is still going strong, please post the name here, as well as any specialty dish that makes the place legendary.

Love this thread, as much as I travel for work it's good to know the good spots.

In McKinney, TX people always think of Bill's Cafe, great breakfast and home cooking.

But for me it's BBQ and Hutchin's BBQ is it, one of the best places I have eaten BBQ ever and one of best in Texas. Went there Friday with my son and it was awesome.

In Portland it has to be RingSide Steakhouse.

In Minneapolis it’s Murray’s Steakhouse that opened in 1946.

Jonah's Fish and Grits

In Charlotte we have an old school steakhouse called Beef N Bottle that's been around forever. Not only are the steaks fantastic (the ribeye is my go to) but its a nice change up in a city swarming with cookie cutter high-end steakhouses. It's definitely off the beaten path and from the outside it looks like a sketchy warehouse, so it's easy to drive by if you didn't know better. The inside is retro 1960's-throwback and the waiters act accordingly. The cherry on top though, is the soft cheddar cheese with crackers they serve instead of bread with butter. It's like the Kraft handi-snacks I used to get in middle school...but on steroids

In Minneapolis it’s Murray’s Steakhouse that opened in 1946.

We ate there a few years ago. The food was good, but it was the service that we were most impressed with. We were with small kids and the server was awesome, he put a bunch of straws together to make a "crazy straw", which the kids just loved. It made the whole dinner.

Here in SF there are thousands of restaurants, but the one that stands out as "most legendary" is the House of Prime Rib. It is packed with tourist and local customers feasting on prime rib from 4:00 p.m. until after 10:00 pm 360 plus nights per year, for more than 50 years now.
In your town if there is a locally owned restaurant (no chains) that has been doing great business for decades and is still going strong, please post the name here, as well as any specialty dish that makes the place legendary.
HoPR in SF is terrific, but I prefer Harris’ Restaurant just down the road from HoPR.

In Stillwater, its Eskimo Joe's home of the world-famous cheese fries.

In Tampa it's Bern's Steakhouse, in Clearwater it's Frenchy's, the home of the first grouper sandwich.

I’ll second your accolades of Berns.

Although I live in upstate New York, I’m a frequent diner at Berns (about 4 times a year). The experience of dining there is second to none. Also, the tour of the wine cellar is amazing. It is an extremely enjoyable dining experience.

I’ll second your accolades of Berns.

Although I live in upstate New York, I’m a frequent diner at Berns (about 4 times a year). The experience of dining there is second to none. Also, the tour of the wine cellar is amazing. It is an extremely enjoyable dining experience.

That tour is pretty cool. Do you go to the dessert room after?

I grew up in Janesville WI - a very white bread town. The Cozy Inn was probably the first Chinese restaurant in the Midwest. Established in 1922 and still going strong. For almost all of my friends it was their first experience with Chinese food. The food is still great if somewhat Americanized.

I suppose it has to be Franklin's BBQ in Austin, but this town is full of great restaurants.

In Louisville there are a few different places depending on what you want:

- Wagner's Pharmacy is a diner near Churchill Downs where horsemen have eaten breakfast for decades
- Pat's Steakhouse is the local steakhouse that has been open forever and they serve great steaks or country favorite like fried chicken and country ham with family sides. It's cash only so don't bring the Amex
- Mike Linnig's for fried fish. Big outdoor dining spot right on the Ohio River open throughout the summer. Of course it's super busy every Friday night as Louisville has a large Catholic population.

Toscana is the first that comes to mind. It's only about 30 years old, but it is highly revered, and not touristy (which I like)

George's - Best dish: Beer
Original-Georges-Overhead-1.jpg

Honorable mentions: Elite Cafe (recently bought and turned into Magnolia Table)

Elite-Cafe-1-793x526.jpg

Health Camp - greasy burgers
the-view-of-health-camp.jpg

Certainly none are the best in town, but legendary.

Last edited:
Hamburger Mary’s. an old school diner.

Attachments

• 5DF096CC-4FE3-4DAF-8005-5AB137FFAF4A.jpeg
    5DF096CC-4FE3-4DAF-8005-5AB137FFAF4A.jpeg
    153 KB · Views: 9
I’m going to cheat a bit and give the legendary restaurant from when I lived in Milwaukee, which is Sanford Resturant. It’s a tiny restaurant with amazing food, always seasonal. I recall eating there one night and even the coffee was hand blended by the chef. Incredible food and service.

In Miami, I would have to say the most legendary restaurant is Joe’s Stone Crab. It’s not my favorite place, but the popularity is unbelievable. Often times a 3+ hour wait.

We haven't had the full dining experience; nor have we had the lobster they're famous for. We did eat at their outdoor pergola on the marina and had a good experience.

In Louisville there are a few different places depending on what you want:

- Wagner's Pharmacy is a diner near Churchill Downs where horsemen have eaten breakfast for decades
- Pat's Steakhouse is the local steakhouse that has been open forever and they serve great steaks or country favorite like fried chicken and country ham with family sides. It's cash only so don't bring the Amex
- Mike Linnig's for fried fish. Big outdoor dining spot right on the Ohio River open throughout the summer. Of course it's super busy every Friday night as Louisville has a large Catholic population.
I'll 2nd the Mike Linnig's. Possibly the best fried fish I've had and the portions are ridiculous!!
I'll go Del Frisco's or Jeff Ruby's steak house slightly over Pat's. Just personal preference.
Louisville is loaded with good food spots but a couple other good spots in Louisville are The Old Spaghetti Factory
& The Brown Hotel for one reason only....they created and have the best Kentucky Hot Brown!!! @JB :oops:

The Yacht Club (there is no water anywhere nearby)

I'll 2nd the Mike Linnig's. Possibly the best fried fish I've had and the portions are ridiculous!!
I'll go Del Frisco's or Jeff Ruby's steak house slightly over Pat's. Just personal preference.
Louisville is loaded with good food spots but a couple other good spots in Louisville are The Old Spaghetti Factory
& The Brown Hotel for one reason only....they created and have the best Kentucky Hot Brown!!! @JB :oops:
I like Ruby's and Del Friscos, but neither is a Louisville original like Pat's.

Back