Your usual course you play

My usual course tends to be pretty slow. No idea what it would rate, but if I had to guess I'd say something near 7? I don't know, it's just really slow. I putt better on a little bit faster greens, but not quite PGA tour fast.

I'll say the course greens vary between 6 and 9 during the same round. They're poa annua greens so there is no grain; and if you don't get them before noon, they're like putting on broccoli. You're at the mercy of the clump in front of you. Basically they're ****. You have to hit a solid putt off the sweet spot of your putter and make a good stroke otherwise you're dead, and still even if you do, things could go to hell just before the cup when a little bump knocks the ball off line or stops the ball dead right on the lip of the cup. They're maddening.

There is nothing like putting on three fast greens, then running into one that's like putting on mud. Or that's been sanded and wet down due to the heat - If it's like that we'll play two putts auto, putt it if you can make it. Yeah, we have that too.

You guys putting on bent grass are so lucky.

10ish in the morning and about 7 or 8 by late afternoon.

8 or 9 when no tournaments are being hosted. They water often.

When I asked my home course early in the season they said they were pretty slow while they were protecting them, but were aiming for them to be around 9 for the summer

I tend to prefer faster greens but it does usually take me a little while to adjust when there is a difference to my home course so I like to spend some time on the practice green before a round to get an idea of how they are running when I play somewhere else (obviously this is making the assumption that the practice green is somewhat representative of the rest of the course.....)

I really couldn't even guess a number but it is not toward the fast end of the spectrum.

I don't know however I do know the Friday before a state qualifying or big tournament, you better buckle down the hatches. Our greens have the capability to blow ya skirt up and make ya holler for ya momma.
bulgy-eyes.png

My course is probably a 8-9.

Some courses may "fib" when asked. I don't think many of us have an actual idea what a 13 actually rolls like.

I have no idea the stimp. They roll smooth and pretty darn fast in the summer. I'd say maybe 7 ish in the winter, and probably 9 in the summer, maybe 10 when they're trying to make them fast for a tournament or something.

Bent greens at my home course run in the 7 neighborhood during the summer to keep them alive. Run 9 to 10 most of Fall, Winter, and Spring. Can occasionally get faster.

One of our two courses just had the greens redone with Bermuda. Not sure where these will be kept. Right now I'd say they've been 8 to 9 since they opened in mid August.

I'd say avg is likely a 9. Most of the public courses being about that or just under and there are a few tracks around here that push 12 at times.

Our course usually runs at 9-10. When I play TPC, it is usually 12+ pretty frequently...

Like others they can be slow...they can be fast...but damn try to get them close to being the same on all the holes....

In fact I'm thinking that it is totally unfair to have different holes vastly different on the stimp because there is no way to tell one hole can be a 7 and one can be a 9 that's a big difference one hole your at the cup with a putt and the next you can be 6/7 feet short on a like putt...I.m not asking for perfect just a bit more consistency...

My course is probably about the same speed as Lake Jovita was when were there for the driver testing, so around a 9? They're generally pretty fast when not healing from maintenance, but nothing like PGA speeds. My parents' club usually advertises 10-11, but they've never struck me as being any faster than my course. I can't imagine most people here can even fathom what a 12 or 13 would be like.

Play two different courses one runs 9-11, the other 7-9, two private courses that i play once or twice a year usually run 12-13+ but they are known for their speed
rather interesting transition not playing them all the time [my stroke isn't good enough]

I have no idea what ours would measure at! This past weekend they were the fastest all season (big member member tournament).

I usually out out better with faster greens. I think it gives me a better chance to really control the putter through the zone. This weekend was a totally different story.... At times, the pins were in diabolical places. 2 paces from the edge. On the edges of false fronts. Man, it was killer, speed be damned.

Regularly 11, and 12-13 for club tournaments. I very much prefer fast greens; don't like having to hit the ball hard when putting

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

We have bent so summer is slow, maybe 8-9. Cooler weather 10 or so. Tournament first of June, 11+

The superintendent was gauging the stimp as I arrived today. He confirmed that I had guessed right. The process is interesting and the result is an average which means that the downhill putts are much faster than the posted speed. Speed today was between ten and eleven so we had some "interesting" putts. He warned me that they would be faster Thursday. With 36 putts today, Thursday might be tough.

Last edited:
They write it on the board by the first tee and it's usually around 10, although there are a few newer greens which are still slower than the rest.

8-10, they roll pretty true also, I like them on the quicker side, closer to 10 than 8

Back