Your Warmup Routine

5 minutes stretch. 10 minutes putting. 10 minutes chips /pitches and a few bunker shots. The rest practice iron shots working on tempo

This. Every time. When I play at my home course, I typically do this at home because it's only a short drive from my house. Any other course and I do it at the range.

After this routine, I'm well stretched and typically start with a short iron and full swings. After 8-10 balls with a short iron, I'll grab a wedge and start working on distance control shots moving to full wedge shots. I then move to a mid iron (6 or 7) and see if my play for the day is going to be the draw or not. Once that's figured out, I mentally prepare to play that shot for the day as I move to driver. I'll typically hit the putting green for a few minutes at every course but my home course, then it's time to roll.

Also, I RARELY show up at a course with only 30 minutes to prepare. I don't like being rushed in any way when I'm getting ready to play. Once I'm on the course, I'll maintain a respectable pace but beforehand, I'm taking my sweet @ssed time.

So this is usually how I play golf... most courses don't have a range, not a country club member...

Pre round routine -
Pay for round - 5 minutes get a water in the yeti

5-10 minutes of Stretches answimgs with warm up weight
15 minutes hitting putts and hopefully some chips, most greens say no chipping...

Stay fresh with driver and 6 iron swings

I will hit some range balls if available. Wedge, iron, 3w, driver, wedge. Then hit some putts. If not range then I am just hitting putts and doing light stretching and taking some swings with a 7 iron.

First thing I do is small chips and pitch shots to get loose and get a feel going. I also will hit a few bunker shots if there is be available. I putt a little after that then to the range. On the range I’ll work on approach wedge Shots then hit some longer irons and finish with the 3wood and driver.

Had about that today.

After I get my bag/cart set up and checked in at the pro shop, I am probably down to 20-25 minutes.

I set my timer for 5 minutes on my phone, do some dynamic stretching (try and get legs hips and shoulders warmed up in that time). Next 5 minutes grab a set wedge (PW or AW) and hit some partial shots, club shaft to parallel or so until I hit a few solid than with the same club go to half swings, then finally full swings.

Usually still have time to grab a 7 or 8I and hit a few full there. Next 5 minute alarm, grab a hybrid and make 2-3 full there. Then 5W off the deck for 2-3. Then Driver for 2-3. After that grab a bladed wedge (either 54 or 58) and hit some targeted shots until that 5 minutes is up. Head to the putting green and have 5-10 minutes to putt mostly, but ideally hit 2-3 chips, maybe try to get up and down a time or two then off to the 1st tee.

30-45 minutes is about all I want to arrive at the course before a round. more than that and I will just bang balls and waste precious swings that I will most likely need on the course.

This. Every time. When I play at my home course, I typically do this at home because it's only a short drive from my house. Any other course and I do it at the range.

After this routine, I'm well stretched and typically start with a short iron and full swings. After 8-10 balls with a short iron, I'll grab a wedge and start working on distance control shots moving to full wedge shots. I then move to a mid iron (6 or 7) and see if my play for the day is going to be the draw or not. Once that's figured out, I mentally prepare to play that shot for the day as I move to driver. I'll typically hit the putting green for a few minutes at every course but my home course, then it's time to roll.

Also, I RARELY show up at a course with only 30 minutes to prepare. I don't like being rushed in any way when I'm getting ready to play. Once I'm on the course, I'll maintain a respectable pace but beforehand, I'm taking my sweet @ssed time.

I'm not onboard with all of it, but I like the sequence. That's kind of the route I take in my warmup at home. I wake up the hands, shoulders, obliques, then wrists (and more hands), legs and ankles, and back. Then start rotating.
Not bad.

Last edited:
10 minutes of putting. Then (if my back feels reasonably good) to range and START with driver at about half speed. Keeps me shallow, which is good for me. Maybe a dozen drivers, building up to almost full speed.

then a few 5H, then a few 8i, then a few SW, then finish with whatever club I'm going to hit on the first tee that day.

And all this time I'm working to TARGETS, not just "hitting balls." I'm also imagining trouble on one side or the other of my target.

Usually more of a 15 minutes b4 guy but if I had 30 I'd do the same routine. Stretch, a few swings with two clubs at once, another stretch to get to and hold exaggerated more than full back swing and follow through positions, then a few pitches and about 5 minutes putting to get speed down. The first tee on the two courses I play most often are adjacent to the range so I'll often bring a few throw away balls to hit and/or share as we wait for our chance to tee off. Hitting a couple out onto the range is enough full swing warm up, usually.

I'm a full warm up for a competitive round:

1) stretch it out a bit
2) 5-8 -- 3/4 approach wedge shots (60-80yds). Helps loosen the back
3) 5-10 -- Full iron shot (6i). Hit one or two focused on mechanics, then a few game shots. (try to draw one and fade one to find the edges of my swing)
4) 3-4 -- Drivers
5) 3-6 -- chips on putting green
6) 6-12 -- putts focused on speed control

total -- 30 min -- 22-40 balls

For just a recreational round with friends I may just stretch and roll a few putts.

Chip. Putt.
Stretch for 5 minutes.
Full swings.
Depending on time putt some more or hit the first tee.

Chip and putt for around 10 minutes. Then start go to range and hit the following clubs in this order

1. Wedge
2. 5 iron
3, driver
I only need 5-7 shots with each club.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

30 minutes would be perfect for me.

I stretch at home so that is done.

At the range....
1. take the 50 and 54 wedge together and slow swing them 10 times.
2. 50* wedge and chip 10 balls
3. 50* wedge 3/4 swings 5 balls
4. 8 iron 3/4 swing 5 balls
5. 8 iron full normal swing 5 balls
6. 5 iron full normal swing 5 balls
7. 3 wood full normal swing 5 balls
8. Driver 3/4 swing 3 balls
9 Driver full normal swing 5 balls
10. 50* 3/4 swing 5 balls
11. Putting green 5 putts just to feel the putter swing
12. Hit the first tee !

This is my normal warm up for every round.

Spend 20 minutes lamenting that I started golf so late in my life that I need to loosen up because my body isn’t used to these motions...5 minutes hitting some 9i and 7i shots at various speeds...hit one or two 3i (maybe a driver) and declare, publicly, that I am "golf ready...beware"

Today played really well with 5 swings of the weight and no putting.... interesting:unsure:

I’m terrible about stretching, but will practice chipping and putting or even hit a few short approach shots on the 9th if no one is on the course.

Usually when I arrive early they send me out because other folks always seem to be running late at my course and they know I play fast.

30 minutes means I’m late like yesterday. Check in and get my bag and push cart ready. Put on shoes and make sure I have everything. Walk towards Marshall shack and pull driver to go through some take away motion. Than warm up with a few easy swings. Use bathroom and a few more easy swings. Hit the tee and some more swings as we wait for the group ahead to clear.

I really prefer an hour so I can visit the range and putting green.

Good or bad, I do not have a regular routine. Sort of free-lance it depending on the day, how I feel, where I am playing etc.

Stretch, hit a few balls, then to the practice green.

I know a couple guys like that. If tee time is 8:00, they show up at 7:59:59.59 and run down to the cart dragging their clubs behind them and carrying their golf shoes, throw everything into the cart and get dressed on the way to the first tee. Their warmup is a practice swing before they tee off.

One of my buddies used to always show up to the first tee late. I told him you should be arriving to the course at least 15mins early to make sure you're on time. He literally told me he thought the tee time was the time you had to arrive at the course. I almost fell over.

I usually arrive 45 minutes early. I usually peruse the pro shop after checking in.
1) Putt for 10-15 minutes
2) Hit 20 balls on the range. Just finding the bottom of the swing, and then see which way the driver wants to go today.
3) Chip and putt until tee time.

I typically just enjoy being at/around the club chatting with other guys and the staff, so I don't really rush any of this.

Stretch and then putt. I’m not rushing to get any full shots in on the range unless there are range balls just sitting out, otherwise it’s more stress and rushing than it’s worth.

5-7 minutes stretching and warming up muscles.
10-15 minutes swinging clubs. Start with slow, deliberate 7i swings. Move to long iron, then fairway. Couple 3/4 swing with a wedge. Couple driver swings.
5 minutes on the putting green.
Last few minutes making sure I’ve got appropriate beverages etc.

Putt for about 5-10 minutes then put the donut on the 7 iron and makes a dozen swings or so

Back