Your Warmup Routine

At minimum I carry a workout rubber band. I use it for stretching first and warming up muscles a bit.
Hmm.. sounds interesting. Is there some kind of guide you use to get proper stretches using one? I've got plenty of resistance bands laying around I could plop in the bag.

-A brief stretching session.
-Might hit a dozen balls tops, often don't. 3 with SW and 3 with 9i. Then it's 1 or 2 each with 5i, 5W, and Driver. If I hit the first 5i, 5W, or D good I won't hit the second one because I don't want to risk botching it. If I can't hit a decent one in 2 tries I stop or I risk falling into a rapid fire panic to 'find a fix' rather than a positive thoughts warm up.
-Might putt a few for feel but often don't.
-Pretty much always hit a few little 10-25 yard pitches while waiting beside the tee box to get a feel for wedges.
-One last little stretch and waggle right after sticking first tee in the ground and then the golf gods decide the rest.

Last edited:
Hmm.. sounds interesting. Is there some kind of guide you use to get proper stretches using one? I've got plenty of resistance bands laying around I could plop in the bag.
Just stuff I’ve picked up from you tube and trial and error. I like to stretch my shoulders and chest by putting the band behind me and allowing it to pull my hands towards one another. Than I’ll take a golf stance and rotate like a swing just slower. It’s really helps loosen me up and get the blood moving.

When I have time I like to start out with partial shots with a wedge then a few full swings. I usually take a few swings with a mid iron and a long iron. Then i will usually hit a few with my driving iron, a fairway, and then driver. Once I'm feeling confident i go back to my wedge and hit partial shots at targets again to make sure my tempo and feel are good. Then I go to the practice green for chipping and putting to get the speed of the greens.

My back precludes me from hitting a lot of balls.
I take 5 balls to hit into a nearby lake with my 8 iron. When I hit a good shot, I quit and head for the putting green for a couple of minutes. I rarely hit more than 3 balls into the lake.

If you do not warmup before the round, you can skip the thread. For those that do, what type of routine do you have? Pound balls with a few clubs? Hit driver and some wedges? Just roll some putts? What is your warmup routine?
I start with this:

Afterward hit 20-25 balls
Roll 10-15 putts to get the speed down
Chip for 5-10 minutes and then roll.

My warm up routine may seem invlolved and time consuming but it only takes me about 30-35 minutes. I always show up to the course an hour before my tee time so even with my warm up routine, I'm still stirring around for at least 20 minutes before I tee off. Gives me time to BS with my playing partners for the day and just kind of ease into "go time". I don't like feeling rushed before a round. I have no anecdotal evidence that my warm up routine actually leads to better scoring but I know that being there early and not feeling rushed eliminates any anxiety about the round for me. 🤷‍♂️

I start with some static stretches to get everything moving then;
  • 5 half swings with short iron
  • 5 short irons
  • 5 long irons
  • 3 hybrids
  • 2 drivers
  • 6 chips off various lies
  • if I have time I might putt but I find our putting green isn't consistent pace wise with the course so I won't dial in the pace too much
Then off to the 1st tee.

My home course doesn't have any range facilities at the moment, so I can't use the range, but this is my general routine at my home course

I will stretch to help loosen up my back first, then usually grab a couple irons out of my bag and do some gentle swings with them

After that I will grab my 7i and hit half a dozen or so balls into the practice nets by the putting green, but will always make sure I finish with a decent strike
Final thing before heading to the 1st tee is to roll putts on the putting green for a few minutes, usually just to a single hole or a spot from different directions to get a feel for the pace on uphill/downhill and breaks

“ Hello boys” and that’s the warm up hahahahaha

Most times I like to warm up if time so weekends I like to get to the course starting with putting for approximately 10 minutes, take a couple practice swings and usually hit about between 15 and 25 balls. When I get to my driver I typically swing a minimum of three times and a maximum of five or six. If I stripe two in a row right down the middle, I’ll put the driver in the bag I’m good to go.

Head to the first tee and hit some more putts there while waiting for our turn.

Since the swing change, I have gotten more of a routine prior to starting my round pending time of course, but it as is follows:

- Do some stretches
- With a small bucket of balls I will hit 54* wedge, 7 or 8 iron, 5w or 3w, and driver.
- With each club, I will start with half shots, with my overexaggerated wrist movement until I hit a couple duck hooks to get the feeling and then I will move to a full shot and the wrist movement is more natural at that time.
- If I have time, I will then go to the putting green and hit 15-20 putts from 3-5' to get a feel for speed of the greens for the day.

If I have no time, like I did this last Saturday, I show up and stretch on the first tee while my playing partner is teeing off and roll with it, lol, but since the swing change, I play much better if I hit a small bucket of balls on the range at minimum.

5 min of stretching, 15-20 swings with the Orange Whip, putting practice if time allows and let's go!

Ideally my warmup would be come to course and roll a few putts to move around and get a feel. Head over to range stretch to get my legs and back loose. Hit some 54* wedges. Half shots mainly there. Move to my PW for some full swings. 8i then 6i. Hit a few 4i off the tee. Then move to my driver to get a feel of ball flight. Hit another wedge then go chip and putt prior to teeing off.

All in all this is about 30 mins and I feel loose and ready.

The one drawback of my home course is a range that is limited to shots of 165 yards. Warm up is therefore 10-15 wedges (full and partial shots), and then 10 or so 9i shots. It’s just to loosen up. I sure wish I could pound about 5 balls with the driver before hitting the course.

Normally I will stretch for a few minutes and hopefull arrive in time to hit about 25 balls with an 8 or 9 iron and my 3 wood. I'll also roll putts for a few minutes to get a feel for the speed but at my home course I can do by just hitting a handful of putts. I don't like spending more than 20 minutes warming up but I'm a big fan of hitting the range after a round of golf, especially if I shot more than a few strokes over my index.

Same whether I’m playing or just hitting balls.

1. Loosen up, stretch
2. Swing SW/LW together
3. Hit a few pitches with the SW
4. 3/4 SW
5. Full SW
6. Hand full of 6 irons
7. Hand full of 3W and/or Driver
8. 15’ putts
9. 5’ putts
10. Done

Although I might incorporate this 🤣

I’ll also add that I don’t do the “hit until I’m happy” thing if warming up before playing. Just 5-6 shots to see what I’ve got for the day, make every shot count.

i usually don't - range isn't open when i tee off in the morning during the week and i don't get to the course early enough before my weeknight league.

but...i'm going to get there early tonight and hit a small bucket to see it if helps me get off to a better start. it's been a struggle lately. will probably start with my gap wedge and work my way up to driver. dunno...it's been so long since i've actually "warmed up"

Time dependent, I'll stretch for 10 minutes, just a general body movement thing. Then, I'll head to the practice green, usually rolling putts from 2 feet for a few minutes, then moving further out. Then another round of stretches.

Stretch, swing the orange whip knock off a few times for tempo, then hit a half bucket of balls with gap wedge, 7 or 8 iron, 5 iron and driver followed by a few putts on the putting green to check the day's speed.

I hit 8-10 9 irons
3-4 7 irons
2-4 Drivers

10 or so putts

then screw up my first couple shots ;)

My warm up routine is this....

1. Stretch at home before heading to the course
2. Some light stretching at the course
3. Small bucket of balls starting with gap wedge chipping and moving up the bag to hit 5 drivers and finish with 3 gap wedge chips.
4. Pass by the putting green.
5. Head for the first tee.

I have a 3-5 minute dynamic warm up that my physical therapist gave me. If I am short on time I hit about 10 9 irons starting out at half speed but still a full swing then gradually speeding up to full swings then I will hit 3-5 drivers. From there I go to the putting green and roll some putts. I take one ball and roll to different holes holing out at each hole.

For a tournament I like to have 30-40 minutes. I start with putting doing the star drill with 3 balls from 3 then 5 feet. I then hit a few bump and runs and some wedges from around the green to get a sense for the way the greens release. I move on to my dynamic warm up and head to the range. With more time I start out with my 58* wedge hitting some 40 yard, 60 yard then 80 yard shots which is a full swing for me. Next I hit some 9 irons, 7 irons a few fairway woods then move to drivers. At the end of my full swing warm up I will hit the tee shot I expect on the first hole followed by the approach shot. I do that for the first 2-3 holes. I then move toward the first tee and spend about 10 minutes with one ball on the putting green picking holes at different distances and holing out.

I have found through experience that this is a good warmup for me. This takes about 30-40 minutes. I can be ready in 20 if strapped for time and get most of this in. I don't want any more than 40 minutes.

Back