JB

Follow @THPGolf
Albatross 2021 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
  • Admin
With cold weather here in many parts of the country and handicap posting season over, what are some of your winter golf rules that you and your group use?

Preferred lies is common during this type of year. Be it from frost or ice or just areas of the course that are not as maintained due to the climate. Generally speaking, these are just things you and your group do for fun. With that said, bringing them to course committee, etc could land them as official for all groups as local provisions.

What does your group use for winter golf rules?

3333.jpg

Continue reading...

TheDoctor

One of the UK Hackers
Reaction score
Handicap
6.0 (WHS)
The only thing outside of the usual rules the club imposes during the winter is that we will sometimes agree to lift, clean and drop if a ball is covered in mud but in the rough

On the fairway, the club will impose lift, clean and place on fairways as standard, but for friendly games we will do the above as well but drop rather than place so that you are still penalised for missing the fairway

mikeg_74

B.T.S
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
We can post year round here, so no "winter" rules per say, but I have friends who can't post and use common sense for getting a decent lie within a distance of the ball that makes sense. If you are out playing in the temps and not ideal conditions, I don't care what you do. Have fun and enjoy the time out on the course.

Bryndom

2021 Morgan Cup - Team Hackers
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 16
I’ve never tried snow golf, but agree with @mikeg_74 here. If it’s just a casual round and it’s super cold and windy, just enjoy it.

No particular winter rules, and I’ll probably be in the cart having coffee or something anyway!

DataDude

That's Just Like Your Opinion Man
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
If it's muddy lift clean and place for sure. My buddy and I also made a winter course for our home course with different tees for each hole. It's between white and blue length and it makes some holes easier and some more difficult.

mikeg_74

B.T.S
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I’ve never tried snow golf, but agree with @mikeg_74 here. If it’s just a casual round and it’s super cold and windy, just enjoy it.

No particular winter rules, and I’ll probably be in the cart having coffee or something anyway!
and if it's too cold I am at home nice and warm, lol.

jdtox

Team Paradise Captain
Albatross 2021 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Always lift clean and place in the winter. Depending on greens sometimes we just say automatic 2 putt as well.

Chef23

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
We are pretty generous this time of year given that it is cold wet and sloppy. Definitely preferred lies in fairways and traps as they aren't raked (haven't been all year anyway) and pretty generous in terms of the leaf rule given maintenance staffs are light.

With any luck I will get to play at least once a month all winter but it is kind of a crap shoot.

smgoldstein

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Posting period is done in my neck of the woods. Played 9 holes yesterday. Temps under 40 with a 2 club wind with wet soggy fairways. So yeah, I rolled the ball over.

Desmond

Play Golf, Laugh, Smile, Enjoy
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
<10
When I play in OK, the group has liberal rules. Move ball around with club head, move for tree roots anywhere, lift, clean and place when muddy, when green is muck, move ball, and any time of year, the breakfast ball.

Annhl8rX

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I have no idea what the local “posting period” is, or if there even is one. I only track an unofficial handicap anyway. There’s really not any reason for me to modify any rules, as winter pretty much doesn’t exist in my neck of the woods.

RayG

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
My "group"?!!! HAHAHA... I can't get them out even if there is a chance of rain! Winter? No way. But I will go out, and I pretty much stick with the playing it down style... for the most part. Plugged balls, water in the traps, snow patches and such get "accommodations" and that's it. I don't do a lot of "rolling it over" if I can help it. Bad lies are worth giving a go to improve overall. <shrug>

Canadan

You Are Great
Albatross 2021 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
We don't really care how each other play (respectfully) during the winter months.

As long as you're there, respecting pace and the course, and not being a Richard, you're free to do whatever feels right.

Drumdog

Drummin' for golf
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 6.3
Around here, some snow on the course is not unusual. We usually play lift clean and place and if the ball is in snow and you find it we take nearest point of relief.

golfinnut

Way too close to JohnSInVA!
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
HEAT!
The same rules apply as year round. Haha! The courses I get to play aren't as well maintained as some would like, so you're lucky if you have enough grass to play off of as it is. so we, well I, roll the ball wherever I can to get a piece of grass somewhere, away from roots, etc. Lift, clean & place for sure with as much mud that will collect on the ball. I'll just be glad to be swinging over the winter. Anytime it gets below 50*, schmoes like @JohnSinVA don't like to play anyway. :sneaky:

Maric

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Rules? There are rules? :D:D:D Other than lift, clean and drop we have no special winter rules. We are pretty generous during regular play anyway. After one of the group almost broke her wrist hitting a tree root we always allow someone to move the ball if they are near one. We also allow a "hand wedge" if you can't get out of a bunker after 3 tries.

Tenputt

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 4.6
We don't really care how each other play (respectfully) during the winter months.

As long as you're there, respecting pace and the course, and not being a Richard, you're free to do whatever feels right.
This reflects my feelings. Once scores cannot be posted, it really is akin to a practice round. Just keep up the pace and have fun. In December and January, it is fortunate even to be out on a course. However, if I travelled to where scores can be posted, I go back to abiding by the rules so that I can post my score.

Canadan

You Are Great
Albatross 2021 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
This reflects my feelings. Once scores cannot be posted, it really is akin to a practice round. Just keep up the pace and have fun. In December and January, it is fortunate even to be out on a course. However, if I travelled to where scores can be posted, I go back to abiding by the rules so that I can post my score.
I'm kind of a mixed bag on the second one. Sure, I'll give it a fair shake to see where my game is, but rusty as hell in a different region on different grass is hardly a representation of my scoring potential.

mmaynard11

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I can't say my previous group had a set of winter rules...we were usually just happy to be out playing. Now since I am here in Florida it will be interesting to see if this group has any special winter rules. Then again is it winter in Florida?

Bernoulli

Enjoy every sandwich
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Can't say that I'm familiar with the concept of winter golf. My winter golf is usually played in Florida. :)

Tenputt

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 4.6
I'm kind of a mixed bag on the second one. Sure, I'll give it a fair shake to see where my game is, but rusty as hell in a different region on different grass is hardly a representation of my scoring potential.
Your points are especially valid with respect to different grass. Bermuda is almost like a different game to me. I figure where only 8 of the 20 scores count, it’s not a big deal. Plus, I cycle through the scores a few times per year anyway. It kind of helps me remember fun rounds in exotic places.

Canadan

You Are Great
Albatross 2021 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Your points are especially valid with respect to different grass. Bermuda is almost like a different game to me. I figure where only 8 of the 20 scores count, it’s not a big deal. Plus, I cycle through the scores a few times per year anyway. It kind of helps me remember fun rounds in exotic places.
I definitely feel like it helps to start the following season fresh with some more 'down to earth' scoring. I just rarely go anywhere to play in the offseason with handicap in mind, which means my potential to score probably is a bit diminished subconsciously.

Acesteve

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Dress appropriate so you have fun is rule 1. Play fast is rule 2- we can't be standing around in 40 degree weather.

Lift clean and place is permitted when conditions found are not what we would get in summer. This past Saturday we had snow in some of the north facing bunkers. we moved the ball out of the bunker.

dacatalyst41

#ReptheG #RocktheChev
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
We’re not overly stringent with the guys I play with, but we do lift, clean and drop in place if the ball finds a muddy lie or sitting water. For the most part, with our temps and lack of snow, not a lot changes.

Scorpion12

B + <-- Be Positive. UP! Not down. Nice not mean.
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
The occasional toe tap with the foot wedge can come into play in less than desirable lies... such as a puddle. Not hitting out of a puddle on a cold day. I'm already cold. Wet would make it miserable. Covered in mud is even worse.:ROFLMAO:

Welcome to The Hackers Paradise

Don't just play golf, live it!

Register Log in