For here, we improve our lie a lot. Many times we are in standing water or super wet lie or the ball is around a lot of leaves/debris. We generally don’t play in the bunkers too if it’s not maintained.

preferred lies until late spring around here, including relief from elk and goose poop which is not removed off season. there are times I play automatic 2 putts on greens as they are not maintained and again elk prints and the like and lack of grooming make putting seriously a difficult proposition.

Nothing exotic for us. Lift, clean, and place if needed and drops from unmaintained areas.

So our winter “rules” may be a little different than others. Our pins are now in the fairway since the greens are closed off for the winter.

We haven’t had any snow yet for the most part but the ground is still frozen solid. And that means balls coming in from high up, come down and bounce like you just hit a cart path :LOL:

So for par threes and approach shots where the ball lands and bounces up like it just got double bounced on a trampoline, we pick the ball up and put it back close to where we think it originally landed. Not like it matters since you can’t putt effectively or read any sort of line. It’s more for those times where you can see you would have stuck it for a good birdie look and your ball bounces 30 yards past.

No handicaps are being calculated with this rule and no money is on the line so it’s all for fun at this point before we are stuck on simulators for the winter.

The courses get pretty wet out my, so we will just lift clean and place. If it's in the rough and muddy we will clean and drop it back down again.

Preferred lies, multiple balls. Adjusting equipment. Playing out of each others bag.

Pretty much do what we want - take that USGA! lol

Balls reasonably known to be in play are not lost balls if we can’t find it because it plugged or leaves.

Preferred lies, multiple balls. Adjusting equipment. Playing out of each others bag.

Pretty much do what we want - take that USGA! lol
Playing out of each other’s bags, but don’t touch the flag sticks. Take that, Rona! 😂

Playing out of each other’s bags, but don’t touch the flag sticks. Take that, Rona! 😂

No we've been pulling flags for the last two months too.

I don't pull a flag anymore takes too much time. ;) Others do though.

1.LC & R on the Fairways
2.Take out of the Bunkers to entry point.
3.Ok to Roll ball on to grass and off of dirt

We do lift clean and place if it's muddy during the spring and roll it in your own fairway until the grass get decent. We are normally always shut down completely this time of year but I have my first ever December round of golf in Minnesota on Thursday and it's forecasted to be in the mid 40's which is about 20* above normal. It's very strange to be golfing this late especially when I'm skiing at a local resort tomorrow.

We play preferred lies, clean and place. We have dormant zoysia which is brown and nasty but still playable to hit from, but your better off being in the first cut of rough in the fescue.

Lift clean and place in the fairway. Did this yesterday and noticed one of the guys use a club length. It’s only a friendly game between mates so he could take 100 yards for all I care, but I did mention it’s 6” not nearer the hole. He told me the guys he played with yesterday also used a club length. Is that the norm over here? Seems a bit generous.

We still play money games so having a set of rules is important. We keep it simple:
1) Full Lift/Clean/Place through the green
2) Full leaf/soft area free drops in effect, provided the group agrees.
3) Putt everything out, in an effort to equalize scoring a little.

Lift clean and place in the fairway. Did this yesterday and noticed one of the guys use a club length. It’s only a friendly game between mates so he could take 100 yards for all I care, but I did mention it’s 6” not nearer the hole. He told me the guys he played with yesterday also used a club length. Is that the norm over here? Seems a bit generous.
We allow as much relief as is needed in order to find some solid ground. Sometimes 6 inches, sometimes 6 club lengths. Just try to keep the lie the same.

We do lift clean and place if it's muddy during the spring and roll it in your own fairway until the grass get decent. We are normally always shut down completely this time of year but I have my first ever December round of golf in Minnesota on Thursday and it's forecasted to be in the mid 40's which is about 20* above normal. It's very strange to be golfing this late especially when I'm skiing at a local resort tomorrow.

Enjoy your first ever December round in MN. I have played a handful of December rounds in the past when the weather was favorable. One of the courses I used to play would go to temporary greens (closely mown spot in fairway with a flag sticking out of it) at some point in November.

We generally just do three things.
1) Lift, Clean, Place
2) Preferred Lies
3) 2 putts on each green IF there is snow, ice, or debris.

Preferred lies through the green. I actually think this should be played whenever the course is CPO.
Range is usually closed, so breakfast ball on the first tee.

Lift clean and place anywhere, the course FINALLY just had a slice seed/aeration in November so it's enjoy alot bare lies until spring. Bunkers smooth and place. Losers buy the first round.

Our year has been done for some time now, but in the shoulder seasons we do lift, clean and replace and preferred lies - especially when you're dealing with a fair amount of natural fertilizer.

Interesting reading the responses and perspectives here because we're still in posting season here, but dormant and drenched, and they never seen to apply lift clean and place. I haven't had an actual plugged ball off the green yet, but plenty of friends have so it's only a matter of time, and I keep waiting for more winter-ish rules to go into effect.

Interesting reading the responses and perspectives here because we're still in posting season here, but dormant and drenched, and they never seen to apply lift clean and place. I haven't had an actual plugged ball off the green yet, but plenty of friends have so it's only a matter of time, and I keep waiting for more winter-ish rules to go into effect.
Living life one mud ball at a time?

Living life one mud ball at a time?
Yep. I'm probably the least bothered by it of anyone I know, and even I'm like :unsure: can we get a little relief here?? I know it's not actual water, but we can call it Casual ******** if we need to. Whatever gets it done. I don't see how CPO and lift clean and place don't go more hand in hand. ??

Back