Yep. I'm probably the least bothered by it of anyone I know, and even I'm like :unsure: can we get a little relief here?? I know it's not actual water, but we can call it Casual ******** if we need to. Whatever gets it done. I don't see how CPO and lift clean and place don't go more hand in hand. ??
I agree, may as well make them combined. It's not like hitting a clean ball off the sog is more viable than a normal ball off an actual good, dry lie.

I think this entirely depends on how much money we are playing for. $2 a side, sure that ball should've been up but it was eaten by the leaves, take a drop. $20 a side? Sorry buddy, we're playing by the book. Our course seems to be constantly wet from now until April, so we do usually play lift, clean and place in the fairways regardless.

Out here, if anything, it's going to be relief from casual water/ice. Most of this is caused by irrigation schedules.

Maybe a lift, and clean in muddy conditions.

If the greens are frosted up pretty good, some courses will delay starting times to allow a little thawing. Other courses, not so much.

We don't have much of a "golf interrupting" winter out here. It's a "dry cold"...lol

Posting period is over for me.

Basically any condition caused because of the time of year can be remedied. Lift clean and place, if the traps are horrible, I will move in the trap, or just take it out and away, but I do my best to play where it lies, unless it woudl hurt me, equipment, or just has no chance of success.

We can still post here, but it wouldn’t be uncommon to have a lift clean and place(drop) on some days.

depending on the course, we may allow rolling the ball because the grass can be super bare. Those rounds don’t really get counted or bragged about score wise. Just fun match play type days.

The same rules apply as year round. Haha! The courses I get to play aren't as well maintained as some would like, so you're lucky if you have enough grass to play off of as it is. so we, well I, roll the ball wherever I can to get a piece of grass somewhere, away from roots, etc. Lift, clean & place for sure with as much mud that will collect on the ball. I'll just be glad to be swinging over the winter. Anytime it gets below 50*, schmoes like @JohnSinVA don't like to play anyway. :sneaky:

Yeah lift clean and place in the fairway/drop in the rough is definitely in play during the offseason. With you on the grass issues for sure. Not sure why it's such a big deal around here, but even in the summer some of the fairways can get so bare. Only thing I'll add is the leaf rule. Once the mowing stops/lessens, there's leaves everywhere. If you lose one in a wide open space I won't knock you a stroke if we're playing a side game or something. What you do with your scorecard is your business.

Vey little change in my group. Mud balls can be cleaned, but we’ve had no rain yet. Excessive water pooling lie can be moved back to normal condition area.

Whatever strikes my fancy, same as the summer.

Interesting reading the responses and perspectives here because we're still in posting season here, but dormant and drenched, and they never seen to apply lift clean and place. I haven't had an actual plugged ball off the green yet, but plenty of friends have so it's only a matter of time, and I keep waiting for more winter-ish rules to go into effect.
My home course isn't good about posting rules for adverse conditions (as in, they never do it), so we become "the committee" for ourselves when we play. On Saturday mornings, when we usually play our money game, any special rules are announced at the first tee box and modified as needed by group consensus. During daily casual rounds, we make it up as we go depending on what we encounter.

Back