ZBeekner4’s Journey to the 2019 Grandaddy

oumagic;n8879661 said:
One of my favorite instructional books is “”Be a Player””

they almost preach a mantra of only focusing on three things at the course: Balance/Tempo/Tension.
Its crazy how well my striking was when I started to focus less on a true "swing thought" and more on just relaxing my hands and having tempo with my swing. If I can get rid of a few blow up holes or at least manage my bad holes better (which I have done better with in the past), then some low scores are coming. I can feel it.

Tee time set for 9:57 am tomorrow. Debating on trying the new chrome soft or stick with the ERC. We’ll see how I feel tomorrow. I also charged my gamegolf so I can check distances after the round. More to come...

zbeekner4 ;n8880284 said:
Its crazy how well my striking was when I started to focus less on a true "swing thought" and more on just relaxing my hands and having tempo with my swing.

Sounds like you need to get back with ClubProGuy to better nail down his 7-4-7 swing thought routine. You'll be in the groove before you know it. :bananadance:

zbeekner4;n8893175 said:
Tee time set for 9:57 am tomorrow. Debating on trying the new chrome soft or stick with the ERC. We’ll see how I feel tomorrow. I also charged my gamegolf so I can check distances after the round. More to come...

Try the new CS, great ball.

Alright so update on a few things today:

Chrome Soft golf ball. Were early in testing but I think it may be better for me than the ERC. The spin around the greens is higher but I didnt lose much distance in the irons, if any at all. I actually had one spin back about 2 feet on a 100 yard shot which is perfect, and truthfully I dont want any more spin back than that.

Thanks to McLovin I had a 58 degree PM grind and a 54 MD4 in the bag. The PM grind actually was decent but it felt like a hot face. I kept my SM7 60 degree in play about every other hole (switching between the 2) to see the differences and I noticed the PM really popped the ball off face. A few got away from me. The 54 degree MD4 was very impressive and I didnt feel like I missed a beat switching from my sm7 54 degree. The W grind also slides right through the turf and I liked that considering I have a steep swing. Im not sure about the PM grind just yet but I could easily put the MD4s into play without issue. But again, early in testing and I just want to get more accustomed to Callaway clubs before December.

Ive updated the 3rd post in the thread with a swing of the MD4 and some things I'm working on in my swing. Its not perfect and I don't expect it to be by December but Im certainly working to find the most consistent swing possible.

zbeekner4;n8900434 said:
Ive updated the 3rd post in the thread with a swing of the MD4 and some things I'm working on in my swing. Its not perfect and I don't expect it to be by December but Im certainly working to find the most consistent swing possible.

that was a great looking swing, my man! do you ever practice 1/2 or 3/4 backswings with your wedge?

McLovin;n8900627 said:
that was a great looking swing, my man! do you ever practice 1/2 or 3/4 backswings with your wedge?

Yes a lot actually. That was more of a stock shot which I think is nuts since I get it to parallel in the backswing.

maybe I can get a 1/2 or 3/4 swing on video.

zbeekner4;n8900434 said:

Swing looks good my man.

Update: Played 18 today and posted a 41/39 80 at a course that is VERY tight and any wayward ball is likely lost in deep woods. Unfortunately this is why I dont like playing this course very often. Lost a few balls on shots that werent even all that bad. Even though my driver was not on, I still had some really solid strikes which gives me hope. Irons were crisp while my wedge game struggled. Best part of the day was putting, and I have to attribute that to busting out the putting mat in my living room the past few nights.

Shoutout to @JourdanInMich for sending me a dozen clover truvis Chrome Soft balls.... I freaking love them!! I never thought the CS would work for my swing but I've really liked them and I may have found the ball for me leading into the event in December. The ERC is great too but I just needed a bit more spin inside 120 yards and the CS gives me that.

Just read through this thread. Enjoyed the initial video. You have a nice calm and organized communication style. Your efforts to be an ambassador for Callaway and Grandaddy are impressive. From the outside in, my feeling is more about "wow, that would be so cool." It is nice to see your inside out perspective. Swing looks good!

I am also massively impressed with how the team is communicating and sharing with each other. The well-named mclovin looks to be a rock star captain. A part of my work is to build interdisciplinary science teams to address complex issues. We work within the framework of the Science of Team Science, and it is no small task to bring people together, esp. a group who is new to each other and from diverse backgrounds. ?

Just read through this thread. Enjoyed the initial video. You have a nice calm and organized communication style. Your efforts to be an ambassador for Callaway and Grandaddy are impressive. From the outside in, my feeling is more about "wow, that would be so cool." It is nice to see your inside out perspective. Swing looks good!

I am also massively impressed with how the team is communicating and sharing with each other. The well-named mclovin looks to be a rock star captain. A part of my work is to build interdisciplinary science teams to address complex issues. We work within the framework of the Science of Team Science, and it is no small task to bring people together, esp. a group who is new to each other and from diverse backgrounds. ?

Thanks for reading through my man. I’m glad you enjoyed the posts and updates. The reason I did this is so we can get to know each other and we hopefully have a more personal connection so when the big event rolls around, it’s easy to root for us and want to follow along. Sometimes it’s tough to follow a group of internet golfers you’ve never met but we’re attempting to break that stigma with generating as much info about this team as possible.

Like you mentioned, it’s hard to unite people but that’s what the grandaddy (and ultimately golf) is all about.

Update: Played 18 today and posted a 41/39 80 at a course that is VERY tight and any wayward ball is likely lost in deep woods. Unfortunately this is why I dont like playing this course very often. Lost a few balls on shots that werent even all that bad. Even though my driver was not on, I still had some really solid strikes which gives me hope. Irons were crisp while my wedge game struggled. Best part of the day was putting, and I have to attribute that to busting out the putting mat in my living room the past few nights.

Shoutout to @JourdanInMich for sending me a dozen clover truvis Chrome Soft balls.... I freaking love them!! I never thought the CS would work for my swing but I've really liked them and I may have found the ball for me leading into the event in December. The ERC is great too but I just needed a bit more spin inside 120 yards and the CS gives me that.

Truvis FTW my dude!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where did you play?

Looking forward to seeing the progression as the event gets closer.

Where did you play?
Just my home course outside of Atlanta. Course called Trophy club of Appalachee. Not very long but Very tight even from the back tees which are only 6300 yards. @SouthernShred knows what I’m talking about ?

Just my home course outside of Atlanta. Course called Trophy club of Appalachee. Not very long but Very tight even from the back tees which are only 6300 yards. @SouthernShred knows what I’m talking about

One of the tightest courses I’ve played but definitely short. That said, I did 100% of my Grandaddy prep there and it turned out ok

I just played Heritage Golf Links. Nice course, although I'm struggling with a ton of crap lately. Good luck on your prep Z!

Swing is really
One of the tightest courses I’ve played but definitely short. That said, I did 100% of my Grandaddy prep there and it turned out ok

That’s very true! Maybe it’s going to bring me some luck for December...

I just played Heritage Golf Links. Nice course, although I'm struggling with a ton of crap lately. Good luck on your prep Z!

Oh nice! Played there quite a bit. There isn’t a flat lie on that course, it’s so hilly! Hope you enjoyed it.

If you’re in Atlanta again, let me know, I’d love to join up for a round!

Oh nice! Played there quite a bit. There isn’t a flat lie on that course, it’s so hilly! Hope you enjoyed it.

If you’re in Atlanta again, let me know, I’d love to join up for a round!

So many hills! And not one inch of roll on my drives. I'm not used to that. ? But it was fun. Greens were in bad shape and no one fixed a ball mark in the last month, but the rest of the course was great.

I'll definitely hit you up if I swing out this way again.

1st lesson today in almost 2 years. Before and after screenshots. Before is the right and after is on the left. It was great to have someone else evaluate my swing and to get things back on track. Very excited with what we worked on. Big things are coming! (I hope lol)

My takeaway here is to keep my hands close to my body with full extension while keeping the clubhead outside of my hands.

3369b32463c47856776a3fe406414cf8.jpg

The top of the backswing looks great on the video but it felt so awkward. He had me working on keeping my hands extended away from my body and deep (almost pushing away from the ball.)

b04d72e129fa7a94911d3b7c7ce3f8cc.jpg

On the downswing he wants me to feel my lead knee open to start the downswing, take my hands way left and try to keep my hands from dropping for as long as possible.

ba6bd7d2204afbce47b3457fa607e524.jpg

Ultimately he wants me to practice in 3 pieces. Stop and check at each point: shaft parallel to the ground in the backswing, good position at the top of the backswing, and then swing through, hands going left. A lot to work on but I’m excited to see results.

The difference between the two sequences is significant. The after looks so much better. In a much better position to come into the impact zone. Keep up the good work brother!
tenor (2).gif

Thanks @radiman...appreciate the compliments.

Latest update: went to the range 4 days this week to work on everything from my lesson.

Shot an 81 on Thursday which surprised me since I have so many swing thoughts right now. Lots of great shots so far, but also some real bad ones. It’s not too stressful as I know I have a few too many things I’m working on. It’s getting better everyday for sure and I’m pumped to get it consistent for the grandaddy.

Another lesson on Monday to ensure I’m doing everything correctly.

Latest update: Been working on the stuff from me lesson.

1. More width in the backswing which also helps with keeping the club from getting "across the top" at the top, when done properly.
2. Getting my hands on top of the plane coming down, as I was previously underneath the plane which causes the "flip" at impact.
3. Turning my hips through the swing and having my belt buckle pointing towards the target by the time I get to impact.

These seem like big changes on paper but they are all fairly subtle changes. There have been flashes of great shots when everything clicks and although its tough, it seems to be clicking more often as I practice it more.

Back