ZBeekner4’s Journey to the 2019 Grandaddy

zbeekner4

Proud 2019 Grandaddy Alum
Reaction score
Handicap
Welcome!!

Welcome to the official update thread in my journey to the 2019 Grandaddy! I’m incredibly lucky to be a part of this team and I want to take the opportunity to bring all of you guys along the ride with me! It’s still hard to comprehend and fully grasp that I’m going to be a part of an event that I’ve followed so closely for the past 3 years and is essentially the reason I joined THP. The past several weeks have been a whirlwind and an absolute blast. I’m thrilled to become a Callaway ambassador and a representative for THP. I owe a huge thanks to Morgan, JB, the entire Callaway staff, and all the loyal THP-ers who I’ll be representing!

The purpose of this thread is to host updates throughout my journey to Southern California including some special videos. So please ask questions, comment, & let me know what you’d like to see in here! To kick things off, I’ll start with my 2019 granddaddy goals...enjoy!

Video #1: Granddaddy Goals

Last edited:

Pre-Grandaddy WITB

c9cdbd11d19cdc744ca8d3c196a91cb0.jpg

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 9* (Fujikura Atmos Tour Spec 7x) 45” set at 2* flat

3-Wood: Titleist TS2 13.5* (Project X EF T1100 6.5 X 75g) 42” set at B2

Hybrid: Taylormade Aeroburner 19* (Accra FX 300H M5) 39”

Irons: Srixon Z765 4-PW (KBS Tour X 130g) 2* flat

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM7 50F 12*, 54F 14*, 60D 12* (True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400) 3* flat

Putter: Taylormade Mullen 2 Brushed Copper 34” Double Bend 2* loft. 3* flat.

Ball: Titleist AVX

Grips: Golf Pride Midsize CP2 and MCC

5996c2bb8700572063f64c23baa87573.jpg

Thoughts about my fitting

• I’ve played a few Callaway clubs in the past but nothing in the last few years releases so it’s hard for me to even gauge what I might end up with. Either way, I’m absolutely psyched to get fully fitted at the ECPC and start with a fresh bag of clubs. This info is really to use as a benchmark for the fitting in December. New, pre-released clubs will be on deck and my fitter may recommend something entirely different than what I’ve expressed here. I’m open-minded to any and all suggestions once we get to the ECPC but I wanted you guys to know where I stand currently.

• I’m 5’10” with semi-long arms so shorter shafts have served me well. I’m thinking I’d like to explore the option of shorter driver and 3W shafts with the fitter (44 or 44.5” driver shaft maybe?). My driver swing speed is ~110 mph so I’m looking for more consistency over distance. My swing speed could also justify a lighter and/or less stiff flex driver and 3 wood shaft if that gives me better dispersion and accuracy. We shall see what the results are with the fitter in December.

• The hybrid spot is definitely the biggest question mark. I’ve always wanted to go with a 5-wood rather than a 3-hybrid in my bag setup so that could be a possibility. I also know I’ve been curious about the plethora of utility irons that Callaway offers.

• Irons are a big question mark as well. Callaway will certainly be offering something new for 2020, but if I had to pick out an iron today, it’d either be Apex Pros or X-forged. I’ve hit both but with limited shaft options and without a fitter so who knows what the Callaway fitter will recommend. Personally I’d like discuss with my fitter about going lighter in the iron shafts. My current 130g X flex might be holding me back in consistent ball striking due to the weight so I’d love to test out a C-taper lite or something comparable. Of course I’ll be deferring to the fitter for their expertise.

• I think the wedge lofts will be based on the lofts of my irons but I’ve always preferred 3 wedges rather than a set AW (but I can always be convinced if the numbers look good). Because I’m very steep in my swing, I’ll bet the fitter will recommend a wide grind with a lot of bounce. I’ve always gotten along with the S400 shafts so hesitantly I say that may possibly be something that doesn’t change, but i will once again follow my fitters lead in what they like for me.

• I’m actually thrilled for the putter fitting. Putting has always been a struggle for me in my game. I’m a straight back and straight thru putter but I don’t mind slight toe hang to get a slight arc in my stroke if that works best. I love the V-Line stroke lab putter and the Vegas Toulon has been something I’ve rolled well in stores before but other than that, I’m down for whatever Luke recommends!

• I’m likely going to be an ERC player. Coming from the AVX, I’m a big fan of the ultra low spin tour ball so I think it’ll be a perfect transition. Things can always change with new releases though!

My Game:

• Currently, I’m sitting around a 3-4 handicap according to GHIN. It’s really because I posted an even par round when I played 4 days in a row in May. 86 day one, 82 day 2, 77 day 3 and 72 day 4. When I play random days of the week, better rounds can be in the mid-70s, but bad rounds will creep into the low to mid-80s. Like most golfers, when I play multiple days in a row, I can find a rhythm and put up some low scores. (Hopefully this premise serves true for the granddaddy!!)

• I typically play a cut which on poor days can turn into a slice. I love the sight of a right tucked pin cause I know I can go after it. On a long par-4, I hate seeing trees up the left side or even a fairway that slopes left to right. I’m also an aggressive player. If I have a drivable par-4, I’m almost always going for it. If it’s a reachable par-5, I’ll be pulling 3-wood, hybrid or long iron for my 2nd so long as there isn’t trouble to the right of the green. My aggressiveness carries over into my short game as well. I love going for glory and hitting the flop shot but unfortunately I’ve seen that turn into a 100 yard bullet to the other side of the green at times too. I’m a halfway decent bunker player and actually enjoy hitting bunker shots. If I had to choose between a tight lie or a bunker shot, I’m probably in the minority and taking the sand all day long.

• Did I leave anything off? Anything else you guys want to know, please ask!

Last edited:
McLovin Latest update 9/5/2019: Spent some time recording my swing so I can see what I’m doing. Haven’t been on video in a while so here’s the 54 degree MD4 wedge that I’ve got on loan from captain mclovin.

One thing I’ve always worked on with just about every instructor is being across the line (which isnt always bad) and being way past where these clubs should stop in the backswing. I’d like to work on getting that a little shorter.

The other issue is getting the club inside more and swinging further out to the right. With the wedge it’s less noticeable but the longer the club the worse it gets.

[video=youtube_share;-bXSGBTydoQ]https://youtu.be/-bXSGBTydoQ[/video]

Last edited:
Great stuff dude! I’m all in on this thread buddy, really looking forward to keeping up with your journey my friend.

Nice! Subscribed and can’t wait to follow along

good stuff beeks!!! pretty much dead on with what i want to do too. i can’t wait to follow your journey!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Subscribed!

Good stuff man. Look forward to following along with you.

18 holes this morning. Shot an 83 on a par-71, no birdies. Trying to really evaluate what’s working and what’s not working in my game so I can focus on improving the right things. Possibly even go see my instructor.

Driving: 3W and D are decent but my tendency is to swipe across the ball and turn my cut into a slice. I’d really like to see a shorter length shaft to improve accuracy.

Irons: This has been my biggest struggle. Not sure if I’m not turning through the ball enough or just the feel of being uncomfortable is forcing bad contact but my iron shafts are 130X and id like to experiment with something lighter.

Wedges: these have been really good with full shots lately. S400 shafts have been money and feel great. Chipping hasn’t been great but with being out of town so much, I haven’t had much time to practice this area of my game. I feel like I have no touch around the greens.

Putting: Putting has been spotty. Some really good lag putts coupled with some really bad ones. Just a matter of practicing speed more often.

Good news, i accomplished 2 of my goals today: I told my playing partners/buddies about the granddaddy. (They were absolutely floored!) And I entered in my score for today on my GHIN handicap.

Also I picked up this bad boy this morning. How could I resist!?

4803b91d3cc7216667470aa3f5d098dc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good thoughts.

Great goals - I am along for the ride and have no doubt you will crush those goals.

Question - any part of your current bag that you love and worried about changing?

Any part of your bag that you know needs improvement and can’t wait to get at it?

Enjoy the ride!

Good luck on the journey.

As my cartners will attest to, short game and putting were the things we all lost the quickest. So if you’re going to grind I’d suggest focus there most. You’ve obviously got some time before the event so just play as much as possible and enjoy the ride!!

Good luck Zach. Looking forward to following along on your journey.

Question - any part of your current bag that you love and worried about changing?

Any part of your bag that you know needs improvement and can’t wait to get at it?

I’ll say this, there’s plenty I love about my current bag. My wedges in particular. Best wedge game I’ve ever had has come with this set of Vokeys. But I’m not worried at all about changing. I’ll be getting fitted by the best in the world at a premier facility with the latest equipment.

And frankly my best results have come from equipment that was professionally fitted.

If there’s a part of my bag that needs improvement, it’ll likely be my irons. My irons (Z765s) are from an old fitting and I think I’ll get some really different results this time around. Particularly want to evaluate the option of lighter shafts like C-Taper lites or TT DG 120s maybe? I’ll let the fitter guide me to what I need.

Ultimately i can’t wait to get at all of it Brian. Callaway has some stellar equipment options and if it’s good enough for Phil, Sergio, Xander, Kis, Stenson, then I’m SURE they’ll find a bag that fits me and that I will love!

Good luck on the journey.

As my cartners will attest to, short game and putting were the things we all lost the quickest. So if you’re going to grind I’d suggest focus there most. You’ve obviously got some time before the event so just play as much as possible and enjoy the ride!!

Thanks for the advice. Really appreciate this and certainly agree with you. Short game and putting is something i will be focusing on the most as the event draws closer.

Thanks for following J!

holy crap beeks that hat is fire!!!

holy crap beeks that hat is fire!!!

I know right!? I didn’t need another hat....well ok yea I needed this one

It’ll be a lot to fun to follow you and the team Zach!!

Should be a great follow!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I love it! I’ve been telling everyone about the event I got into and by the time I get done, there are two things that are asked after they pick their jaws off the floor.

1. How’d did you get into it? If they played the round with me they mostly know it wasn’t by skill, lol.

2. What did it cost? When I tell them what it was their jaws again hit the floor. I explain that to me it seems more like a fee to make sure that only those that really want in sign up and that just the gear alone that I’ve already received is worth more than the nominal cost, let alone the rounds and group dinners, etc that are upcoming. I think the last time I saw rates for Firestone it was something like $225.00 a round-IF, IF you can get on at all.

I can’t imagine telling someone about the Grandaddy, lol. I’d be like the fat kid in Willy Wonka:)

Congrats on getting in man! I’ll be following along this ride with you. Hopefully as your teammate (hey, there’s still some contests left-a man can dream) but for sure on the forum.

PS-my kid really liked the shirts:)

Good start to the journey with the 83, and identifying what you need to work on most hopefully you'll see results even in just 1 specific category! Following along so I'll know who to cast my vote for when the GD contests come haha

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Cool thread zbeekner4.:clapp:

I love it! I’ve been telling everyone about the event I got into and by the time I get done, there are two things that are asked after they pick their jaws off the floor.

1. How’d did you get into it? If they played the round with me they mostly know it wasn’t by skill, lol.

2. What did it cost? When I tell them what it was their jaws again hit the floor. I explain that to me it seems more like a fee to make sure that only those that really want in sign up and that just the gear alone that I’ve already received is worth more than the nominal cost, let alone the rounds and group dinners, etc that are upcoming. I think the last time I saw rates for Firestone it was something like $225.00 a round-IF, IF you can get on at all.

I can’t imagine telling someone about the Grandaddy, lol. I’d be like the fat kid in Willy Wonka:)

Congrats on getting in man! I’ll be following along this ride with you. Hopefully as your teammate (hey, there’s still some contests left-a man can dream) but for sure on the forum.

PS-my kid really liked the shirts:)

I totally agree, it’s crazy to tell someone about the Grandaddy and then they ask (more than once) how much it all costs!? Usually when I say it’s all free, it’s followed up by “what was this websites name again...?” Haha

Glad he liked the shirts! I may actually have a few more I can send when I get back in town!

.Congrats again and will follow

Back