This question is driving me batty

julie_m

EveryoneLovesACallyGirl
Reaction score
OK so I've always wondered but keep forgetting to ask until I see some more coverage...

On Golf Channel coverage, they occasionally put an asterisk by a player's name. Josh thought it designated an amateur, but I just saw it by Davis Love III's name. I thought maybe it meant sponsor exemption, but he scoffed at that idea. Does anyone know?

Ive usually seen it use to denote amateur status. However once in a while it will mean someone is teed off on the back 9.

However once in a while it will mean someone is teed off on the back 9.

Ah, ok, that makes sense. I knew you guys would know. :wink:

it will mean someone is teed off on the back 9.

What do you think it is about the back nine that makes these players so mad?

Dont forget to tip your waiters and waitresses folks. Smallie is here all week. hehe

What? ..

Another thing I notice on the scrollers going by for golf is that players who are on tour from the Big Break Series have a huge title before their name, honestly do they want to be remembered or noticed on tour for winning Big Break? It seems kind of like a slap in the face to me. Usually it will have something like this

Big Break IV Winner (Name Here)

While all the other players just have a regular name. I think it's annoying.

Another thing I notice on the scrollers going by for golf is that players who are on tour from the Big Break Series have a huge title before their name, honestly do they want to be remembered or noticed on tour for winning Big Break? It seems kind of like a slap in the face to me. Usually it will have something like this

I'm with you, I think it's annoying. But it's a double edged sword - I've never seen the Big Break players to be the ones doing well, so it reflects poorly on the show. (Not saying it couldn't happen, just that I've never seen them in the top 3 or even 10.)

Good point Jeff. That back nine is TOUGH!

I'm with you, I think it's annoying. But it's a double edged sword - I've never seen the Big Break players to be the ones doing well, so it reflects poorly on the show. (Not saying it couldn't happen, just that I've never seen them in the top 3 or even 10.)

James Nitties of Big Break Mesquite has 2 top 10 finishes this year already worth roughly $400,000. not bad for 2 months worth of golf

I usually see it if the players are playing two different courses in the same event.

yeah, i always see her name scrolling along the bottom of the screen too

She's 27th on the money list so far for 2009, and she finished 47th on the money list for 2008.

Two Gloves got a #2 behind DL3 at the Disney last year, I think.

Two Gloves got a #2 behind DL3 at the Disney last year, I think.

That's another thing I hate, why put his nickname right in the middle of his real name? That just ruins the formality of the banner. Why doesn't everyone just get a nickname?

Isn't it weird how the "number" sign turns into a "not equal to" sign when you put it in italics?

# #

Gotta love the Golf Channel plugging their own show.

Back