Staff member
Reaction score
I like it

Good article.

One thing though:

There's no such word as "metalology", it's "metallurgy"

• Admin
Good find. Changed.

All this putter talk has me thinking (always dangerous!)...

On my backstroke, I tend to pull the putter in towards me, when I want it to be straight back and straight forward. My winter project is to straighten this out, but does it suggest I should be looking at other putters, maybe something with weights?

I love my Bettinardi Hawk or Baby Ben or whatever combination of names it really is, but I'd love to eliminate those three putts even more.

• Admin
Claire,
We have two tools on the way that might help you. I have a similar problem and this tool that is on the way is supposed to correct that very thing.

If you guys want some more insight, here's an interview with Scotty and Frank Thomas (a fascinating man, I'll let you read his bio on your own)

http://www.edwinwattsgolf.com/podcast/golfbetter.html

Episodes 2 and 3 take it in.

*you can download the podcasts from iTunes also if you like

On my backstroke, I tend to pull the putter in towards me, when I want it to be straight back and straight forward. My winter project is to straighten this out, but does it suggest I should be looking at other putters, maybe something with weights?

I love my Bettinardi Hawk or Baby Ben or whatever combination of names it really is, but I'd love to eliminate those three putts even more.

Sounds like this should be in "game improvement"

we should try and keep this on topic...

thread jacking queen! haha love that title

anyways, writing that article made me really think about how and why I actually started "collecting" putters

I really enjoyed writing the article. I hope you all enjoy reading it as much I enjoyed writing it.

thread jacking queen! haha love that title

It's a gift. :angel:

anyways, writing that article made me really think about how and why I actually started "collecting" putters

I really enjoyed writing the article. I hope you all enjoy reading it as much I enjoyed writing it.

It was a fun article. Leaves me feeling significantly underclubbed or something.

I tried to be completely honest with the article... I'm not sponsored by Cameron or Titleist and unlike other reviews on other sites I tried to share my honest opinion and avoid sounding like a sales rep or a long infomercial

Claire...don't you dare change that backswing..that's how Bobby Locke putted..from inside to out with the face of the putter staying square throughout..he wiped the face across the ball from inside to out with the face square or slightly hooded.

Bobby Locke's words..
“Now for the actual putt. In the first place, the weight is evenly distributed on both feet. I place the feet about four inches apart, with the right foot three inches behind the left in relation to a straight line from the hole to the left toe. I adopt this stance to prevent myself from cutting across the ball and imparting any side spin. I position the ball directly opposite the toe of the putter but actually strike the ball with the centre of the blade. I do this to avoid cutting the putt. If one addresses the ball with the centre of the putter blade, there is a tendency to swing outside the line on the backswing resulting in a cut and the ball not running true. By addressing the ball near the toe of the putter blade it is easier to take the putter back ‘inside’ the line of the putt, and in this way one is able to impart topspin at impact. Never hit a putt with the heel of the club. That puts check on the ball and it will not run as far as you expect.
I now start the backswing, keeping the putter very low to the ground, almost brushing the turf. I am careful to take the putter back on the ‘inside’, and there is no wrist work at all. Throughout the swing, the putter blade stays square to the target. I want to emphasize that the blade does stay square to the target. At the completion of the backswing, the putter, left hand and left arm to the elbow, are in one piece. To make sure that the clubface does not open, the back of my left hand keeps pointing to the grass. I have now reached the ‘hooding’ position. By ‘hooding’ I mean keeping the putter face dead square, or if anything slightly closed, in the backswing. This will make sure of getting true topspin on the ball, provided the putter returns to the ball on the same line.
At impact, I keep the left wrist firm in relation to the forearm; the position of the left hand in relation to my putter is exactly the same. This means that the putter blade is kept square to the target. My head is kept well down until the ball has been struck. There is still no wrist work in the accepted sense. I am concentrating all the time on keeping that club head square to the target and on keeping my head well down. It is only necessary to follow through as far as the club went back in the backswing.
The putt is now completed. My method of swinging the putter is the same as the swing of a clock pendulum. The club goes as far through in the follow-through as it goes back in the backswing. Though my head turns to watch is happening to the ball, it is still in the same position in relation to the body. It cannot be too much emphasized that the putting action must be slow and smooth, and above all the grip must be loose to maintain the most sensitive touch.
My putting is based on the fact that if a ball has true topspin, there are three entrances into the hole, three chances, providing the speed is right. There is the front door and there are two side doors. Obviously it is safest to use the front door, but with my method if the ball catches the felt side of the hole it will fall, and if it catches the right side it will also fall. By thinking of these three entrances, I always feel that I have three chances of sinking every putt.”

Back