Slacker and Whiner
Reaction score
Handicap
3-8perhole
DSCN1395.jpg

DSCN1396.jpg

DSCN1397.jpg

DSCN1398.jpg

Getting it setup today and going through all that I can!

AWESOME!
More to come!

And readers....This is just in basic mode. When he gets to Pro Mode, he will be blown away. Even more info and greater details.

Yep. None of my arear courses in NW Ohio are mapped, well not the ones I play, but many of the nicer courses I never play are:>)
I think I am going to buy one of the pro modes that are avilable right now just to have one on there for messing around with. So much you can do with this. The built-in video demos on it are a nice touch as well.

I am so jealous scooter... congrats man, that thing looks unreal. I know for a fact I could shave some strokes if I had accurate measurements... especially to hazards

Scooter how much do those retail for? That thing looks simple and amazing for the Technology disabled.

They retail for $400 but you have NO yearly subs. Scooter of course got his free courtesy of UPro and THP.

Thanks guys.
Yep, stroke savers R us it should be dubbed!

Small too, not sure if I mentioned that prior? Today my pal had his skycaddie (first time I used one of those) when we played and that thing is a honker! Nice, but big. The uPro is the size of a std. cell phone I'd say and light.

I'll upload a pro mode tomorrow and try to get some shots of it for you. I wish it wasn't winter here and I could go get 100% use out of this now, but at least my spring will be awesome!

I was going to start making yardage books, but maybe not now. If I could just get my ball to go where I need!

4 bills... whoa doggy, great present courtesy of uPro, THP and all the hard work Josh does to make this site what it is

sounds to me though, that so far this product has a lot of potential, but without mapping.....

NVM,
In most golf populated areas, they have every course mapped. I understand that they dont have the courses mapped in your area and other rural areas. But to compare this device to a Skycaddie (which I own) is like night and day. You can map your own courses as well. But this thing blows away a Skycaddie. And the price...Its actually less than the color Skycaddie.

This device is not a device with POTENTIAL. It is THE DEVICE if you live in any area that is considered a golf area. And when you request a course most are done within a week. Some may take 3 weeks if there is nothing in that area. Every single course in FL is mapped.

I'll look into mapping myself too!

FWIW< I am in a rural/country area, so likely my courses haven't been mapped because a large concensus of the player's in my area are still using gear they bought in the 90's or before:>) Not that there's anything wrong with that! Now all the larger cities near me (30-60 miles away is all I looked) have lots of courses mapped on uPro's site, I just rarely, if ever, play those.

Sure hope I haven't misrepresented it here! I have 100% faith in this unit. Again, I have barely messed with it, mainly because I want to get out on the course with it!

That does it, I'm moving!

per the skycaddie, yes, the uPro is mucho cooler!

I was really surprised at the number of courses they have mapped in my area. Every course I play is on there, and I play some real goat tracks. lol

i really want one of those. i have a feeling that it would bring my tournament scores down like 2 or 3 strokes a round, which puts me at like 74-76

Ebay can really be your friend on these if you're careful who you buy from. I know JB said he doesn't use Ebay any mre but I use it regularly and have never had a problem. I bought my GolfLogix thru Ebay and got a heck of a deal.

interesting, i will have to look for one after i get a 13* 3 wood and a new 58* wedge. i love ebay and paypal, nothing has gone wrong for me over the past 3 or so years

NVM,
In most golf populated areas, they have every course mapped. I understand that they dont have the courses mapped in your area and other rural areas. But to compare this device to a Skycaddie (which I own) is like night and day. You can map your own courses as well. But this thing blows away a Skycaddie. And the price...Its actually less than the color Skycaddie.

This device is not a device with POTENTIAL. It is THE DEVICE if you live in any area that is considered a golf area. And when you request a course most are done within a week. Some may take 3 weeks if there is nothing in that area. Every single course in FL is mapped.

what is the actual size of their library of courses?

there's a list of various GPS's i found, with the size of the libraries listed. only problem is, i'm not sure of the exact date it was posted, so i'm not entirely sure how accurate it is as of now. as you can see uPro is way down the list, as expected being the newest company on the block.

Image40.jpg

taken from:

http://www.digicaddie.wlb1.com/gps_comparison_table_budget.html

as you can see, it received a #1 rating nonetheless for GPS's without a budget limit. once the library is up to "par", it'll be #1 in my eyes too.

That is a very old list.

what is the actual size of their library of courses?

I cannot find the answer to this and it is really bugging me! I'm used to finding what I want pretty quickly. Even their faq page on their website just says "thousands of courses." None of the reviews I've found mentions it and the only thing I can find about their course downloads is the prices for the packages. But I'll keep looking this evening.

UPDATE: I used the "Contact" link on the website and asked them for an actual number of courses they have available for download. So we'll know soon.

Smallville,
There is an easy answer. Search for the courses you play, if they are there, it will work for you. If they are not, it might not at this point.

But it should not matter to any of us if they have 50,000 courses or 5000 courses as long as the courses that we play are there.

To me, my Skycaddie works, but in all fairness, it makes no difference to me that they have the most courses, or that they have courses in areas i will never visit or play. I hate paying $50 a year for the right to use something that I already paid for. For Christmas I am breaking down and getting a UPro.

Smallville,
There is an easy answer. Search for the courses you play, if they are there, it will work for you. If they are not, it might not at this point.

But it should not matter to any of us if they have 50,000 courses or 5000 courses as long as the courses that we play are there.

To me, my Skycaddie works, but in all fairness, it makes no difference to me that they have the most courses, or that they have courses in areas i will never visit or play. I hate paying $50 a year for the right to use something that I already paid for. For Christmas I am breaking down and getting a UPro.

I've done that, but I think that part of a product's marketability will be better if they say how many courses are available. The big names have that information available.

I think this may be a great product. It looks great and the reviews I have read (and I've read several, including yours!) have been positive. NVM had a question and I like to search things so I am just trying to find the answer to his question. I would definitely get one right now if I didn't have what I have already. (Because it would replace it AND my rangefinder).

EDIT: My email and the answer I received (very quickly, I may add!):

--- Begin forwarded message:

To: info@uplaytech.com
Subject: New Contact
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2008 16:45:41 -0000

New Contact:
phone:
email_address:
name: Mike
comments: I would like to know how many courses are in your course library. I cannot find anyplace that tells how many courses you have available for download. Other gps units websites say how many courses they have, the only place I found on yours is in the faq's, and it only says "thousands of courses." How about a better estimate?

Answer from uPro:

Mike,

Thank you for your interest in the uPro GPS, the most intelligent golf GPS device in the world. Our course directory is available for anyone to view on our website at www.uprogps.com by clicking on the red Course Search button. Here is a direct link to the directory: http://coursefinder.uprogps.com . Since we started shipping the units in June, there have only been a handful of courses that weren't in the directory. Once identified, they were promptly added. The last number I heard was that we have mapped over 8000 courses in the directory and continue to map over 1000 per month. I don't, however, know how many we actually have in the database. We do anticipate by the end of Spring 2009 having most all of the USA courses mapped.

Feel free to contact us anytime with further questions.

Regards,

Bill Dove
uPlay Customer Support
2185 Faraday Ave. Suite 130
Carlsbad, CA 92008
Toll Free Phone: 888.358.5788
Fax: 760-476-3406
email: support@uplaytech.com
Support is available Mon-Fri 6:00am-10:00pm Pacific Time, Sat-Sun 8:00am-5:00pm Pacific Time

NVM, just contact them about Canadian courses; they answer back very quickly! Great customer service.

THe answer to your question is more than 12,000 courses at this time. I was told this direct from the president of UPLAY.

For Massachusetts, they have 28 pages of golf courses. I could play this for sure, but it appears the downloads are not free for most courses, that is a drawback for me.

DD, the basic downloads are 100% free. That is the same as any GPS will give you. If you want to go advanced, then you pay for the course.

Back