What is the magic to the ProV1?

robmypro

Reaction score
I went out and bought a sleeve of several different top balls, and for whatever reason the longest drives i have ever had were with the ProV1. I can't believe that this ball is just that much better than the others, so can anyone speculate as to the reason i play so much better with them?

Is it mental? More confident? Or could these balls just be perfect for my swing? Anyone else experience such a wide discrepency playing with them?

IMO mental. Personally, I don't understand the appeal of the ProV1 / ProV1x . I don't think they are particularly long. I think they are not particularly straight. And for me, there are plenty of other balls that spin on the green the same or better. The only thing I like about them is that they feel good and are pretty good on the green with the putter. In total, it's not worth the $'s for me.

So many great golf balls now that I can play with any of the premium balls and many of the second tier balls and not see any difference in my distance or scores.

IMO mental. Personally, I don't understand the appeal of the ProV1 / ProV1x . I don't think they are particularly long. I think they are not particularly straight. And for me, there are plenty of other balls that spin on the green the same or better. The only thing I like about them is that they feel good and are pretty good on the green with the putter. In total, it's not worth the $'s for me.

You could be right, but the difference is so dramatic. I buy them from lostgolfballs so i think i pay less than $2 per ball. So not really expensive compared to full retail.

So many great golf balls now that I can play with any of the premium balls and many of the second tier balls and not see any difference in my distance or scores.

I was thinking the same thing, and tried the top TM and Bridgestone offerings. It must be mental.

98c3dd9b469f59c95f1a97476229e369.400x300x1.jpg

They pay a whole lot of folks on tour to use the ball and say they use the ball. A lot of people then buy them, especially since with so many people on tour hitting them, the odds of the winner gaming a Pro V1 goes up. I'm not going to say they're better or worse than comparable tour balls, but Titleist has made an investment in having the most common soft good on tour with a plan to get the maximum number of people using it, and it's working.

I've played the pro v balls. I can't stand them personally. Just something about them. I'm very much not the target demo, I'm a very high handicapper. Regardless, for the price of those balls I rather hit literal rocks. There are so many other balls on the market that are better for me, at a better price point, it will be a long time before I hit a Pro V again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No magic in my eyes. Good balls but many others in the tour realm that are as good or better. I haven't played a Titleist in two years and haven't seen a distance loss or worse results with the b330-RX, Srixon z-star xv

I went out and bought a sleeve of several different top balls, and for whatever reason the longest drives i have ever had were with the ProV1. I can't believe that this ball is just that much better than the others, so can anyone speculate as to the reason i play so much better with them?

Is it mental? More confident? Or could these balls just be perfect for my swing? Anyone else experience such a wide discrepency playing with them?

I'm not sure which one it is but I feel the same way and no one pays me to say that, they simply perform a little better. I switch between the ProV and the B330S regularly because they are close enough in performance but Titleist has a great ball this year.

If they were so magical you'd think golfers would look harder so they don't leave them behind. I find them all over the course (more so than other stuff)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I play them if someone gives them to me but I agree with most of the other comments that there many equal or better balls on the market for less money.

its all marketing

Compared to other Tour-level balls, they are similar. Compared to lower and mid-tier balls, there is a substantial difference. Mostly in greenside spin and feel.

its all marketing

Yep. The magic is the marketing and it convinces players (who probably shouldn't) to shell out $45-50 for a dozen. It makes me happy though since when I go hunting for one of my less costly balls I tend to find one or two of them lurking in the woods, and usually 3-4 in the buck-a-ball bin in the pro shops. Got half a dozen or so in the bag right now, all finds.

They are good balls though. Just not $4/each good (at least for this guy).

Idk what the magic is you speak of, but I sure do find a lot of them in the woods/hazards. :alien:

They're a great golf ball, don't get me wrong, but SOOOOOO many people could benefit from a ball fitting and some education (and not just marketing education).

They're definitely a quality ball and perform well for me but value wise $4 a ball is tough to swallow when you lose one.

I play cheaper balls most of the time, but the best rounds I have ever played were all with a Pro V1x. I don't know what it is.

I've tried a lot of premium golf balls from every manufacture and the only ball that even sniffs the performance of a ProV1 is the Chrome Soft. I wanted to love other premium balls but they simply don't perform like a ProV1 for me.

I'm not a super high spin player so maybe that's part of it but I can't stop Bridgestone golf balls to save my life. Yet, I can back up a ProV1 without issue. The new version of ProV1's have been absolutely amazing for me and my game.

I used to be a hater but now I'm a believer.

You know guys, i fully get you about the marketing. I thought the same thing. I would call myself impervious to marketing. But my daughter bought me a dozen ProV1's and i had the best round by a long shot when i put them in play. At the time i was playing the Callaway balls from Costco, and everything from distance to softness around the green was just at another level. I then figured it was the tour level ball, so i bought some high end balls to test. I hit the ProV1's longer, straighter, and putt better. And i have done the test twice.

I think confidence is a big factor in success, and i am just confident with them. I feel like i am playing serious when i play them. That's why i bought 100 of them from LGB, for less than $2 each. I don't pay a premium, and they just perform.

But i still scratch my head about it.

Like other have said, it's marketing and it is done to the extreme. I think another thing is the name always stays the same while the other big names keep doing the name change thing. People become accustomed to the familiar name. I have never bought any but have tried them from time to time. I call them one hit wonders because I do find quite a few of them scattered around the course. I put them in the "good" ball bin to be used another day.

I found one yesterday under a spruce tree on hole number 1 that was an errant tee shot of about 70 yards from a player not in our group. I was helping my partner find his first tee shot that went astray. A few holes later I hit my Chrome Soft off the tee but wasn't quite sure if it rolled into the water or not. There were people coming up from behind so I called a provisional and took the ProV1 out of the bag and proceeded to hit a nice high slice that ended up in the drink. They make the same splashdown sound as the Nitro, Mojo's, and SmartCores that I have hit. The One Hit Wonder bit too.

I could be flat out wrong, but I've always felt that, with my game, I couldn't play them thinking that they made any side spin even worse, especially off the tee.
The spin on the greens with the short irons is pretty impressive though.

It's a damn good ball but I don't think it's any better than the top Bridgestone or Callway or Wilson Staff offerings.

I'm not impressed with them. My score is now an 83-90 for 18 holes.

If you paid for my golf balls and let me pick whatever I wanted ( Had to play them, couldn't trade or sell), I would pick: B'stone E6, NXT, or Top Flite Gamer Tour.

Just to me, the Prov series flies too high, and exaggerates slices and hooks.

Probably my swing is at fault.

Jack

The 2015 Pro-V1X is a fantastic ball, having played a sleeve earlier this year. I just don't like paying $4 dollars a rock. I generally use Bridgestone B330-RX or e5's, but if come across a V1 or V1X, I generally will pick it up and play it eventually. Titleist also has sales that make buying in bulk not terrible near year end, and there is always lostgolfballs.com if you want to buy in bulk cheaper for prior year recycled models.

Off the tee I've played longer balls, but with irons and short game they are some of the best I've played.

Back