adidas Golf Selling Off Golf Brands?

anybody hearing rumors of adams being sold to dicks/gg?

No idea but I just saw a box full of Adams pro hybrids at Costco with blister packs around the heads selling for $50.

It will be interesting to see what impact all of this has on Mark King, now President of Adidas North America. After all he is the one most responsible for TMAG's huge rise and perhaps its departure from the Adidas family.Perhaps he will go wherever Taylor Made goes.

This is from a TSN article about the NHL jersey deal. Sounds like he's not going anywhere.

"While Adidas bought Reebok in 2006, Reebok has since been repositioned as a fitness brand, perhaps suggesting its ties to the NHL no longer make sense even if Adidas rejects calls from investors to sell Reebok.

Adidas executive Mark King, who recently ran the company’s golf division TaylorMade, has been tasked with rekindling Adidas’ North American sales.

At an investor day earlier this year King said he wanted to make Adidas “cool” again. The company, which has a partnership with rapper Kanye West, will relocate 75 designers, developers and marketing executives from Germany to the U.S., King said, adding Adidas will run its biggest ever ad campaigns over the next three years."

This is from a TSN article about the NHL jersey deal. Sounds like he's not going anywhere.

"While Adidas bought Reebok in 2006, Reebok has since been repositioned as a fitness brand, perhaps suggesting its ties to the NHL no longer make sense even if Adidas rejects calls from investors to sell Reebok.

Adidas executive Mark King, who recently ran the company’s golf division TaylorMade, has been tasked with rekindling Adidas’ North American sales.

At an investor day earlier this year King said he wanted to make Adidas “cool” again. The company, which has a partnership with rapper Kanye West, will relocate 75 designers, developers and marketing executives from Germany to the U.S., King said, adding Adidas will run its biggest ever ad campaigns over the next three years."
Can't wait for the Kanye West R16 driver.

Under Armour would make a huge mistake acquiring Taylormade because they are Apparel, footwear and accessories brand. that is what they do best. I could see them adding baseball bat and glove company because that fits there DNA. I would also be shocked if there tour pros would switch over. UA golf gear. They have been making footwear for over 5 years and they could barely get that right.

the price tag for Taylormade will be significant. I see a venture capital group buying Taylormade I see Ashworth and Adams becoming house brands at a retailer.

Close to it anyway. What's weird is I took a few swings with one today at DSG and liked what I was seeing. If I had some extra capital I may have bought one just to rubberneck at the 50 car pileup that Adams has become.

RIP adams. i guess alot of us knew it when they were sold to TMAG.
Has anyone else noticed the GIANT sales all across the interwebz on all things Adams? I damn near bought an XTD driver just to check it out because it was so cheap. (It was 89.99)

The company, which has a partnership with rapper Kanye West, will relocate 75 designers, developers and marketing executives from Germany to the U.S., King said, adding Adidas will run its biggest ever ad campaigns over the next three years."

This makes me like adidas less. I'm not a kanye fan. And that's really too bad, since I otherwise think they make great shirts and shorts. (Or at least great shirts and shorts that I can pick up cheap at outlet stores).

~Rock

As soon as TM has Kanye involved that will solidify never buying anything TM again.

UA has no background in hardgoods. They are just now starting to figure footwear out. I think they stay clear Taylor Made

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This makes me like adidas less. I'm not a kanye fan. And that's really too bad, since I otherwise think they make great shirts and shorts. (Or at least great shirts and shorts that I can pick up cheap at outlet stores).

~Rock

I agree. I like adidas shoes and stuff, but add that assclown to the mix and you can count me out.

Has anyone else noticed the GIANT sales all across the interwebz on all things Adams? I damn near bought an XTD driver just to check it out because it was so cheap. (It was 89.99)

You should grab it, darn good driver.

It's sad to see what's happening to Adams. When they released the Red hybrid and the Blue driver I felt a glimmer of hope. However, as Toad mentioned, with the "sales" all over the net it's apparent that everyone is trying to clear inventory while they still can.

Sent from my G3 using TapaTalk Pro

Same thing happened with MacGregor about 6 years ago.. Bought by Golfsmith, who subsequently turned it to utter crap.

Don't know if it's true or not but read on Twitter that Taylor Made did not renew 2 high profile players sponsorships beyond 2015.

Don't know if it's true or not but read on Twitter that Taylor Made did not renew 2 high profile players sponsorships beyond 2015.

Wonder if this is what lit a fire in Jason Day? Seeing writing on the wall and needs to pad the resume.

Wonder if this is what lit a fire in Jason Day? Seeing writing on the wall and needs to pad the resume.

Maybe. I believe DJs contract expires next year and I was also thinking Sergio.

I know it would be a poor business decision for UA, but if they bought TM and brought Day on board a long with Spieth that could be very interesting.

I may be coming a bit off tangent here, but I stayed away from the release cycle thread, because my logic here is, it's great for the consumer that they release loads of new models every year, but for me, I want my favored brand to be making money.

I can't, and won't, buy every driver they release every year. The average golfer (read: not THP) simply does not behave that way.

So I want my supplier to reinvest the money on good, solid R and D and deliver a better product two years down the line, perhaps just in time when I want to upgrade.

What's happening is that some companies are spending more on endorsements and marketing and advertising, so now I'm not sure if the club I have in my hands is the finest engineered club they can ever make, or a product of smartass marketing but with no technical merit whatsoever.

From a design standpoint, as an architect, the way I see it, they seem to pattern their design threads after the fashion industry, where they're trying to sniff out what sells and chase it like a pack of wolves and flood the market with it, rather than looking at their sales and review what designs worked and how to improve from there.

Let's take an example. The Burner TM put out in the 2000's to me was a breakthrough design. I think it sold well, and I had a couple of buddies who could never hit driver reliably now finally could when they put a Burner in their bag.

I know they're putting out a new Burner, but where did it go in the first place? I don't get how they manage the design progressions and creates doubt on my part that the new club I'm holding is more a result of marketing and endorsement than bleeding edge R and D.

So now we come to the fallout, where too many products, poor R and D, too little design and product development, too much marketing and endorsement costs all boil down to a red number at the bottom line.

Adidas has to give some logic to their design streams, cut down on release cycles and products, and deliver really good products. They've done that before, they can do it again.

And some genius there has to figure out that people don't buy golf clubs the same way they buy shirts and shoes.

Last edited:
Not golf related but was interesting to see Adidas get in with the NHL for approx. $70M a season for the next 7 years to make uniforms.

Back