Cleveland 588 Altitude Hybrid Irons Preview

Every time I read about the Altitudes I think they'd be perfect for me, but my mind block against hitting hybrids has always kept my ponder in check.

Honestly, I can't hit a hybrid to save my life anymore, but I can mash an Altitude 4i/5i/6i all day long!

Every time I read about the Altitudes I think they'd be perfect for me, but my mind block against hitting hybrids has always kept my ponder in check.

They are not like hitting a Hybrid they are like hitting an iron but with a high ball flight

I am using the stock Steel shafts in them.

The 4 iron is my go-to club from the fairway an any approaches that need a dead straight ball flight. It really opened my eyes one day when we were playing a couple par 3 holes, 180-200 yards, and I started using the 4i instead of my hybrids. Dead straight, right on target. Hybrids I would always have to play a fade on them, and then it was 50/50 if I could get close to my target.

4/5 and even 6 for me just became something I looked forward to hitting, instead of dreading them. I struggled early in the year getting the ball up in the air, until putting the Altitudes back into my bag. Within 2 holes my issues went away.

Thanks braddman19! I'm going to stick with graphite - better for these older joints. But I'll have to see how the stock graphite shafts work for me (might play around with a heavier or stiffer shaft).

Seller just accepted shipping to Sweden :D
So getting a brand spanking new 5-PW set with regular graphite shafts for €250 + shipping :)

Showed the ebay listing to my colleague, whom I am playing with, and who has been playing for about 15 years.
He didn't even notice the clunkiness, he was so busy moaning about how only women and old people use graphite shafts, to which I replied "and I".
I'm new to golf, so I don't carry the notions of how things are supposed to look like a weight around my neck (or that your equipment should not imply that you are not expert to strangers, whose opinion matters more than how you like playing with your clubs).

Still reading this thread, and every time I read a post about how someone would not dare to put clubs that look like this in their bag, or how they are so ugly so they did not even try them, I chuckle a bit. Are golfers really this superficial and silly?!

I think I might get a set of headcovers and play these balls, just to tease my colleague. ;)

Looking forward to your thoughts frisco! I played them for quite awhile and occasionally think about doing it again.

They are not like hitting a Hybrid they are like hitting an iron but with a high ball flight

Oh I get what the flight is like, and I need help with height. But I've just always had an issue looking down at hybrids for some reason and that's what's turned me off of thinking about these. Also, I've never had the chance to see a set in person at a store, ever, to demo.

Looking forward to your thoughts frisco! I played them for quite awhile and occasionally think about doing it again.

Hehe, so am I :)
Right now I'm trying to get the seller to understand that when I send a request for a total price on ebay she can enter the new shipping cost there...well, there's three and a half months or so until the next season starts here ^_^

I did hit a bucket with the 5 and 9, and I really liked them, high and straight. Can hardly get my current 5i airborne :p

I got my green card in the middle of of August, and have only played five rounds so far.
My first round was together with the previously mentioned colleague, and that's when I joined the same club and managed to get my official hcp. That was on a Saturday, and the whole week before that I'd gone down to the cricket field where I live and practiced with my 54° wedge (TA900), so I got really nice and solid hits during that round, barely any thin shots at all, and I actually managed to sink a 30m pitch with the 54° for a par on the 10th (par 4 hole, and I got a par on 11th as well, a par 3, so my first GIR then hehe) If I had kept that up I think the other rounds would have gone better, but I got a case of the thins...think I've been putting too much weight on my right foot coupled with not coming down enough to take a divot.

Since we're having an extremely mild winter so far, yesterday I went down to the cricket field with my bucket of balls, the 54° and the 49° niblick that I got after my course had already closed for the season. I seem to get better contact when I focus on keeping my left arm straighter in the back swing, and thinking about going "forward", shifting weight to the left foot that is. On the driving range I've been hitting balls far, far forward in my stance, but I think that practicing chipping and pitching is very good as it is easy to start trying to put too much power into the swing on the range, when the focus should clearly be on getting a more controlled and consistent swing.

Anyway, good practicing with the 54° I think, but the niblick let me get away with shots that the wedge wouldn't have, like fat shots. Still, I like fat shots better than thin, at least I'm coming down, I just need to get FORWARD!

So right now I'm guessing that the altitudes and the niblick will go in the bag, but that I'll be using my old clubs (TA3) for range practice.

Took my hyrons out to the range today. Now, I'm not a good ball striker, but I did manage to get the balls up in the air and farther out than I normally do, and even the 5i got the balls up in the air. I focused on a smooth swing rather than trying to kill the ball, and it seemed that this also transferred over to my Halo 3i hybrid and HiBore driver as well, as I hit both of those longer than I have ever done before (with a bit of a draw, which is still a major improvement to the obnoxious slices that I have managed to send into the woods with both of 'em).

Brought my gf as well, and she much preferred to swing my hyrons over her own set (that we picked up used just for her to have something to swing), and it looks like I will have to get her a ladies set of Altitudes. When I came back with a new bucket she was jumping up and down and pointing to the screen (the range has pro tracer), showing a nice straight & high ball flight, and smiling :) She preferred my driver to her own callaway too btw and sent the range balls out 120-125m, which is far better than she's ever managed.

Next year I'm going to take some lessons with the guy who holds the swedish long drive record to hopefully get my swing speed up a bit as I don't get much distance (today I got 172m carry with the driver, which is about 20m farther than my previous longest). I'm not worried about that though, I got my green card in August, and I'm more concerned with trying to consistently get good contact and hitting the ball square.

Glad you are liking them.

I won't lie, when the prices drop on these next year, like they will, I'll grab another set to throw in the closet just for grins. After all, they're forged faces. Haha

You need a Black Tour.

I've been going back through the Altitudes thread and found this generous offer from Jman! Thanks for the offer! I'll pm my address:alien:

I've been going back through the Altitudes thread and found this generous offer from Jman! Thanks for the offer! I'll pm my address:alien:
Wouldn't be the first pm I've gotten on such subject matter :alien:

I actually do have a whole set of heads sitting on a shelf.

I'm actually thinking of grabbing a set of these in senior flex for my 13 year old youngest boy. He outgrew his junior set (actually he never even used them). He has apraxia (or dyspraxia?) and basically his muscle tone and especially hand strength isn't up to par for his age.

any thoughts James?

I'm actually thinking of grabbing a set of these in senior flex for my 13 year old youngest boy. He outgrew his junior set (actually he never even used them). He has apraxia (or dyspraxia?) and basically his muscle tone and especially hand strength isn't up to par for his age.

any thoughts James?

I'm not James but I think it's a great idea. They are super forgiving and easy to launch. I think they would be an ideal golf (and possibly the best) that you could get for someone with his condition.

any thoughts James?
Tell you what, because they'd be for your son, pm me your address and this set of heads is yours, I think they'd be ideal for him. You'll have to get them shafted though.

Tell you what, because they'd be for your son, pm me your address and this set of heads is yours, I think they'd be ideal for him. You'll have to get them shafted though.

What a wonderful gesture

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You sure James? That's a helluva Christmas present! The generosity of THPers never ceases to amaze and inspire me (and sometimes make me tear up)

You sure James? That's a helluva Christmas present! The generosity of THPers never ceases to amaze and inspire me (and sometimes make me tear up)

Absolutely sure.

Anyone who'd be willing to part with a #3 head cover, or know where I could find one?

If anyone is looking for a set, let me know! 3-DW, stock stiff graphite

On a whim, I just picked up a set of these from eBay. The intention was to maybe extract the 3 and 4 iron and then flip the rest of the set.

But I thought I may as well try out the whole lot on the range today.

Well, if I ever doubted the reviews of the fine folk here, I no longer do.

These things are amazingly easy to hit. Just get the face close to square and off they go.

The best demonstration was when I decided to start out with the 6 iron. I hit a few and thought 'wow this is easy' then 'wow this goes a long way'. Then I checked the club and realised I was hitting the 3 iron.

My XR Pros are already pretty forgiving, but these seem to be at another level.

I don't think they are any longer, and I think I get too much height, but they certainly have me thinking.

I'll try them on course and see what happens.

Love it sfdoddsy! I've been so close to picking up another set, they are just fun and make the game easier.

I have tried every other Max Game Improvement irons and still haven't found anything to match them they don't look nice but boy do they perform.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't played much in the past 8-9 years due to a new kid and an old drinking habit, but I'm trying to get back into it.

The longest iron I used to carry and hit consistently well was a 27 degree 5 iron. And irons were the best part of my game. It used to be that only time I consistently played to my handicap was when I did a personal 3 club event and went out with a 5 iron, PW and putter.

I have to say that I've been very surprised by the general increase in forgiveness of today's irons. The 4 iron of my XR Pros is the same loft as 3 irons used to be and I wouldn't have dreamed of playing one of them. Yet I hit the XR 4 almost confidently.

The 3 iron of the Altitudes is (I guess) the loft of an old 2 iron.

To bang that straight and high shot after shot (albeit off range mats) is frankly somewhat astounding.

We'll see about consistency and distance control, but I can certainly see the appeal of them.

Of course, it is also interesting reading back through the thread and seeing the changes in the WITB of those who once swore by them and now play more 'acceptable' player's irons. like the Apex.

:)

Of course, it is also interesting reading back through the thread and seeing the changes in the WITB of those who once swore by them and now play more 'acceptable' player's irons. like the Apex.

Keep in mind, that many of the people in here that were raving about them, have been a part of The Grandaddy of em all, a THP EVent where you get all 14 clubs and play at one of the finest facilities in the world ALL EXPENSES PAID!

Its not taking away from a set like this, which most still think highly of.

I haven't played much in the past 8-9 years due to a new kid and an old drinking habit, but I'm trying to get back into it.

The longest iron I used to carry and hit consistently well was a 27 degree 5 iron.

I have to say that I've been very surprised by the general increase in forgiveness of today's irons. The 4 iron of my XR Pros is the same loft as 3 irons used to be and I wouldn't have dreamed of playing one of them. Yet I hit the XR 4 almost confidently.

The 3 iron of the Altitudes is (I guess) the loft of an old 2 iron.

To bang that straight and high shot after shot (albeit off range mats) is frankly somewhat astounding.

We'll see about consistency and distance control, but I can certainly see the appeal of them.

Many change for the sake of changing and some have changed due to participating in THP events where equipment was involved, etc.

What shafts are you playing? I played the stock stiff graphite for a while....and likely played the best I ever have.

Back