wubears71

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
8.1 GHIN
I have gout and I feel it flaring up this morning in my right big toe. This is bad as I'm playing the river course at Blackwolf run in Kohler on Monday.

Anyone else suffer from gout? What triggers it for you? In my case it's alcohol and shellfish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Start taking Advil 800mg three times a day immediately and hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. Oh, did I mention you should hydrate?

If you are having attacks frequently, you should talk to your doctor about taking a med to help you produce less monosodium urate. You can't metabolize Purine, which is a protein found in many foods. Lots of good resources online to find out which foods you should avoid. Shellfish is one of them. Alcohol doesn't inherently trigger an attack unless you drink a lot and get dehydrated, which allows the monosodium urate to come out of solution and cause an attack. If it gets really bad before your game, you may want to consider a steroid shot in your joint.

Tart cherry juice.

Tart cherry juice.

Only if it's pure cherry juice, which if you tried, you would hate it. No sugar, no dilution from water. Pure cherries. Terrible stuff. And you need the juice of about 2 lbs of cherries just to make a dent. It works, but it's awful, LOL.

My brother in law has it. For him, alcohol flares it up. Well, that and the fact that he isnt as good about taking his meds for it as he should. He has a bad habit of when he feels better he stops taking his meds and that combined with being a drinking is not a good combo.

The Gout on a scale of 1-10 is a 7 today. I don’t know how I’m going to play golf. Now watch me shoot lights out.

The Gout on a scale of 1-10 is a 7 today. I don’t know how I’m going to play golf. Now watch me shoot lights out.

If it's in your toe again, see if someone can fit you in for an injection. It'll fix you right up.

I thought you spelled "Golf" wrong for a second there :act-up:

Hope you feel better.

I have gout but it's a very mild case. I don't know what causes flare ups for me bc it never seems to be anything abnormal I've eaten. I take a NSAID called Endomethicin, it's prescribed and a lot better for your liver and kidneys than a ton of Ibuprofen. I second the cherry juice. I buy it at Walmart and drink lots of it to try to flush out the system and it generally really lessens the pain of a flare up. A secret I use for bad taste is to hold your nose. Taste is directly related to smell for lots of folks so try it if you can't stand the taste of the juice.

Good luck.

If you go to you doctor and get the right meds it will be gone in time to play. I suffered from severe gout and was getting it all the time. Got on meds and I haven't had it in almost a year.
Cherry juice and all the other stuff is fine but will not touch what the right medicine can do. 2 days and you will be on your feet again. I can not stress this enough. It has been a life changer for me.

It is the worst. I have had gout attacks for many years. I have had two knee replacements and believe I'd rather have another surgery than a major gout attack. Everything folks have said here is true but I still just think I sprained my ankle at first then the next day I am mad because I could have gotten on top of it sooner. I take medicine daily and still get it.

I take two medicines. One to prevent it and one for if I start to get a flare up anyway. I literally had bouts where I would have flare ups for a month at a time, finally get rid of them and then again a few days later.

Start taking Advil 800mg three times a day immediately and hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. Oh, did I mention you should hydrate?

If you are having attacks frequently, you should talk to your doctor about taking a med to help you produce less monosodium urate. You can't metabolize Purine, which is a protein found in many foods. Lots of good resources online to find out which foods you should avoid. Shellfish is one of them. Alcohol doesn't inherently trigger an attack unless you drink a lot and get dehydrated, which allows the monosodium urate to come out of solution and cause an attack. If it gets really bad before your game, you may want to consider a steroid shot in your joint.

Gout is a VERY painful disease. You need to see a doctor not just for is mentioned above, but are you an over producer or undersecretor (do not filter enough out of your kidneys)? It is not just a uric acid problem but could be an oxalate problem. You NEED to see a good Internist or Urologist to find out what the problems is so they can make the correct choice of a medicine that can help prevent attacks and properly treat an attack when it happens. Thereare several medicines that cn help, but you need to know what the problem is, what amino acid you produce, and if you overproduce or undersecrete. The meds work differently depending on your problem. There are also good meds to treat the acute attack you are having now.

You also need to make sure you have gout vs. pseudogout ( false gout), or another disease that mimicks gout.

I made it 7 holes and had to quit. It was just too painful.

Time to set up another appointment with my physician. The usual medication is not curing it this time. Plus I haven’t been indulging in my triggers as of late -alcohol, red meat and shellfish.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FWIW, my buddy cut out gluten from his diet and his completely cleared up.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I refuse to cut out gluten. In fact, I seek out gluten now just to stick it to the gluten free movement.:rofl:

I refuse to cut out gluten. In fact, I seek out gluten now just to stick it to the gluten free movement.:rofl:
Haha, I feel the same way. A few years ago we were camping and he drank a bunch of beer and could hardly walk by day 3 though.

I feel like that is something you hear used for everything. "I cut out gluten and ___________ is totally gone!"

For me, it would be "I cut out gluten and enjoyment in my life is totally gone!"

I feel like that is something you hear used for everything. "I cut out gluten and ___________ is totally gone!"
It definitely is. Doesn't necessarily make it untrue though.

Cherry juice and lots of water. The juice is tart but it works.

Beer, red wine, red meat , whisky etc all seem to set it off. Basically everything good.

Wow, I would be screwed if I had it, those are my 4 main food groups!:act-up:

If it's in your toe again, see if someone can fit you in for an injection. It'll fix you right up.

I had to go to urgent care. One steroid shot in the butt and 4hours later I’m feeling better. I have a prescription of prednisone and more colchicine and have been drinking tart cherry juice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wow. Tonight my gout is flaring up in the right toe. That has never happened. This sucks. Torn right pectoral yesterday and gout today. Honestly I’ll take the torn muscle over gout any day.

Back