TaylorMade PSi Irons Preview

Visually and performance wise, I didn't see a discernable difference between the PSi and RSi-2. I'm sure there are differences in tech but can't say it's worth the price jump over 1 year old RSis if that's what you're into.

Mark Crossfield did a comparison between the PSI and RSI. I realize he's hamming it up a bit and only hitting two shots each, but still pretty funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJjDM73w_kk

Mark Crossfield did a comparison between the PSI and RSI. I realize he's hamming it up a bit and only hitting two shots each, but still pretty funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJjDM73w_kk

That's kinda how I felt when testing the PSi's honestly. They really are practically the same thing. And I owned the RSi2's most of this year.

I could see our THP writers giving a bit more long term feedback on these than Crossfield did and probably be able to tell if there is a difference between them.

On his quick take on it though, that's definitely pretty telling...

I could see our THP writers giving a bit more long term feedback on these than Crossfield did and probably be able to tell if there is a difference between them.

On his quick take on it though, that's definitely pretty telling...

I would love a long term test on them to see any difference after gaming the RSi2's most of the season...I just don't see it though. At least in the regular PSi's. The PSi forged though may have more of a difference over the RSi TP. I haven't tested much of either.

I would love a long term test on them to see any difference after gaming the RSi2's most of the season...I just don't see it though. At least in the regular PSi's. The PSi forged though may have more of a difference over the RSi TP. I haven't tested much of either.

I know it's a comparison I'd really like to see

my favorite quote from that article ""A robot doesn't have that feel or preconceived idea of how the club releases through impact."
So then why does everyone clamor for Robot Testing?

Justin Rose plays C-Taper X's? Good grief when did he pick up that much HP to fit into that?

Bowditch goes from MB's all his life to the PSI's and with what he said was little transition time. That must have been an interesting time learning new yardages.

my favorite quote from that article ""A robot doesn't have that feel or preconceived idea of how the club releases through impact."
So then why does everyone clamor for Robot Testing?

Sounded like the RSi irons just didn't work for these guys and I would guess they gave them similar testing to these.

Justin Rose plays C-Taper X's? Good grief when did he pick up that much HP to fit into that?

Bowditch goes from MB's all his life to the PSI's and with what he said was little transition time. That must have been an interesting time learning new yardages.

Confusing flex and stuff Wardy.
Its not about swing speed. Rose is extremely specific in peak height he wants for his shots.
C-Taper X brings him down a few feet peak to get him there.

Or on the internet, that shaft change would change peak by 30 feet peak. I kid I kid.

I think it's cool that they have guys switching to these. They need that. This product needs to get some juice behind it. Perhaps they will try to re-release them at the PGA Show with a bigger marketing plan. I don't expect them to be a bad product, I really don't.

I think it's cool that they have guys switching to these. They need that. This product needs to get some juice behind it. Perhaps they will try to re-release them at the PGA Show with a bigger marketing plan. I don't expect them to be a bad product, I really don't.

Im hoping that is the case. They are silent on most fronts, outside of M1 right now. Sunbelt gearing up, which used to be the TaylorMade bread and butter.

Confusing flex and stuff Wardy.
Its not about swing speed. Rose is extremely specific in peak height he wants for his shots.
C-Taper X brings him down a few feet peak to get him there.

Or on the internet, that shaft change would change peak by 30 feet peak. I kid I kid.

I forgot, he's kinda good.

Are C tapers that stiff recommended for Texas golf? Important response.

I forgot, he's kinda good.

Are C tapers that stiff recommended for Texas golf? Important response.
There's no silver bullet for Texas golf.

I preferred these in looks and sound/feel over the rsi2. It's nice to see them getting some tour love. Do we know if the tour guys are playing the psi or the psi forged?

I preferred these in looks and sound/feel over the rsi2. It's nice to see them getting some tour love. Do we know if the tour guys are playing the psi or the psi forged?

Rose is playing the PSi Tour's (the forged ones)

Noticed these have the C-Taper 105 shafts. Are they basically C-Taper Lites but in a lighter package? Confused

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Noticed these have the C-Taper 105 shafts. Are they basically C-Taper Lites but in a lighter package? Confused

I believe they are c tapers made for TM for these irons.

I believe they are c tapers made for TM for these irons.

Anything different besides weight?

Anything different besides weight?

I found that they weren't as low launching as the C Taper 125s I have in my Apex. Several degrees higher in the 7 iron and spun about 500ish rpm more. I think a comparison to C-Taper Lite is pretty accurate.

I have the RSI 2s right now and really like them. I hit the PSi 6 iron with the graphite shaft today at golfsmith and like the feel of the club. Nursing a sore back so I wasn't jumping on it but was still getting it out there in the 175 range. I like the looks better than the RSI but not enough difference to drop any dough on these. I have blown my budget on the M1 driver and fairways already anyway.

A local range had a TM demo day yesterday. We went along primarily to see if they had any Lady or Senior flex shafts for the M1 as my wife was interested to try one. Whilst she was hitting that quite well with the Asian spec mens regular I had a few swings with a PSI 7 iron, with c-taper regular and stiff, Ns Pro 930's in stiff and regular and I think a kuro kage regular. With the c-taper regular shaft the club felt very very smooth, a good ball flight and was carrying it a few yards further than my current 7 iron. The remaining shafts didn't feel right to me, the c-taper stiff was heading left and the Ns Pro and the graphite option were heading right. The regular c-taper was just straight were I was pointing.

Head size didn't appear overly small or thin when addressing the ball, and certainly wasn't intimidating. The feel off the face was soft and I didn't really notice any noise when hitting the balls. I mis hit a couple off the toe which lost a few yards but nothing horrendous. I'm having random thoughts of new irons ranging from Mp-H5, Titleist T-MB's (full set) and after hitting the 7 in the PSI yesterday now these.

I brought a set of RSI 1's when they were released but just couldn't get on with them. The PSI just felt good.

I am going for a fitting of these to see if all the "technology" is worth a change or not. It will be interesting to see how the difference in going from a cast to forged in the same set feels and sounds..... I don't think it will be a great deal as many play with forged wedges and cast iron sets but we'll see.

I am certainly unbiased as I don't care what is in bag, as long as, they PREFORM or not for my needs.... I've never been "professionally" fitted except "big box" stores so it will be an experience. There's a TM lab near me in DFW area and will write up something soon.

I do agree with a lot of people though as they have brought out MANY different sets in the last couple of years. It's hard to tell what exactly to know what is TM's direction is with so many sets coming out like in the past. The narrowing down could be a step in the right direction. I like the idea of a progressive set but will let the fitting tell me what and how it goes.

-David

Last edited:
Back