WWYD? (What Would You Do with this shot?)

What if you over pure the 6i?

good chance that happens, now we are talking instead of hitting SW I hit one of my 2 LW's lol

I don't have 250 off the deck in my bag, so I'd have to lay up. The only question is with what. I'd pick to ensure no chance of hitting into the pond on the left. Ideally it'd be hybrid + SW, but I'd take a longer approach to ensure I kept it dry.

Ok here's a scenario for you. Gauntlet on Sunday. All Square on 18. Your match determines who wins the whole thing. Still laying up?

What did my opponent do? Has he played yet? What kind of second shot does he have in? How have I been hitting the ball today? Just so many variables to the scenario, and like the OP said...there's no right answer. Or more correctly, there's no stock answer. If I have to have birdie, I lay up to some wedge distance and try to stick it close, especially if my opponent hasn't yet played. Make him make the hard decision and hit the shot of a lifetime to beat me. If he's on and close, who knows...

yup, I will lay up around 50-100 yards, depending on how the short clubs feel on that day

What did my opponent do? Has he played yet? What kind of second shot does he have in? How have I been hitting the ball today? Just so many variables to the scenario, and like the OP said...there's no right answer. Or more correctly, there's no stock answer. If I have to have birdie, I lay up to some wedge distance and try to stick it close, especially if my opponent hasn't yet played. Make him make the hard decision and hit the shot of a lifetime to beat me. If he's on and close, who knows...
he hasnt played yet but hes a few yards ahead of you and has the length to get home in 2.

I'm playing 7 iron giving myself full sand wedge in.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Ok here's a scenario for you. Gauntlet on Sunday. All Square on 18. Your match determines who wins the whole thing. Still laying up?
Good question buddy!

If I am playing first and thinking clearly, I'd say yes. With a penalty being in play, I still like my chances at birdie by laying up. Have to play your game, and my game with that trouble looming is laying up.

If I'm playing second and my opponent is on in two, throw the book out the window. Hand is a bit forced there. Play for the right side of the water and if the carry isn't there, it could roll up.

he hasnt played yet but hes a few yards ahead of you and has the length to get home in 2.

I haven't played TP, but reading back it says carry over the pond is 225. That's a solid 4h for me. I can reach out to 240 with a 3h if I absolutely have to, so that's the play if I do go for it. Most likely I still lay up to 100 yards and 3/4 a 52* wedge in as close as I can. I've been hitting that shot well as of late, and making a lot of putts inside 10'. From that distance, with that trouble, eagle to win outright is going to be a career shot. If that beats me, so be it. I'd rather have a chance at bird that be in my pocket wet.

Probably 4 hybrid to the right side to leave myself a little pitch/putt and a chance to get up and down.

Last edited:
Layup to wedge distance. 250 is a little long for me off the deck.

I'm hitting 4 wood just right of the green. With a little draw, should roll right on back to the hole. If it ends up right of the green, I've still got a good shot at up and down.

To my recollection, 95% of the PGA Tour Pros don't go at that green from 250. Of course they're not typically 250 out on that hole, but they typically play a mid-to-long iron out to right and hope for a favorable bounce or try to get and down if not.

Since I tend to draw (hook) it with the longer clubs, I'll normally lay up to a wedge and go from there. If I've had a bad round and just want to have some fun, I'll give it a rip with the 3W and see what happens. Hopefully I'd miss a little right and still have a pitch and a putt.

If I'm playing a round with my buddies at Torrey Pines, I'm going for it. Chances are I would only play that course once, so I didn't go to lay up.

However, if I'm in a match with something on the line, then I'm laying up to a LW.

Based on the yardage, I hAve 230 to carry the water with a trap back right. I pull four wood and take dead aim with a cut swing

I consider playing a different set of tees next time I return. Then I do the layup thing and enjoy the view.

Definitely a layup for me. I'd probably get to about 90 yards to the pin and use my 54 degree which seems to be my most accurate right now.

9 iron off the tee, leaving myself a 100 to 105 yard aproach shot. U wedge to the green and hope Im close enough for a one putt.

I would layup all day long and not even think about it.

You are better than that....you could pull that shot off, as long as it wasn't required on the first 4 holes. :D

Ok ok.... If it's after hole 4 I would go for it lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How I would approach the shot depends on what's on the line. Am I behind on the card, am I just protecting a lead? If I'm just playing for fun, I'll go for it with a FW wood hitting a soft draw every time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

I'm taking dead aim at the bunker with a 5 wood and taking my luck with a bunker shot.

High cut 3-wood to the middle of the green, maybe with a little prayer beforehand :)

Back