Wonton

Sphincter says what?
Reaction score
Handicap
# Ish
I know most of you don't know me and don't really care but I'm reaching out to those former smokers to see what they've done to quit this nasty habit.

I've been smoking for 9 years now (at least a pack a day) and I'm trying out this "cold turkey" method. It's been exactly 2 days since I had my last one but I'm really feeling the withdraws right now. What can I do to take this craving away? What did you do that worked efficiently?

I'm not a smoker, but I just wanted to drop in and say good luck brother.

Jeez for me it was just trying to remember why I was quitting. The withdrawal stuff will fade though as you get farther out. I know that the smell of people smoking started to smell different to me and that helped. I focused a lot on the parts about smoking that I didn't like so I would think it wasn't worth it to start back up again. Gum doesn't always help so I wouldn't recommend that. Try to replace the craving with something more healthy (anytime you get a craving do the other thing).

When I quit chewing I used herbal chew.

Unfortunately, herbal smoke is mostly illegal.

Good luck. My wife quit cold turkey two New Years ago but used the Blu electronic cigs for a couple months until she worked her way down to the no nicotine ones.

I tried the patch, the gum, and the e-cigs and none of those ever helped me.

I put my cigarettes away for good almost 2 years ago, cold turkey....but you have to be ready to quit, it's up to you.

To help with the cravings and withdrawls, I bought a bag of starlight mints (peppermints), they are extremely low calorie and for me they satisfied the oral fixation and the cravings I had.....everytime I wanted a smoke, I had a peppermint.

It's still going to be hard.....the hardest thing you have ever done, but it gets easier after the first 10 days or so.

Hang in there and if you need to talk to someone feel free to PM me.

Jeez for me it was just trying to remember why I was quitting. The withdrawal stuff will fade though as you get farther out. I know that the smell of people smoking started to smell different to me and that helped. I focused a lot on the parts about smoking that I didn't like so I would think it wasn't worth it to start back up again. Gum doesn't always help so I wouldn't recommend that. Try to replace the craving with something more healthy (anytime you get a craving do the other thing).

I've tried to quit before. A lot in fact but never had good reasons to. Yeah, being healthy should be THE reason why people should quit but that never worked for me. Everytime I tried to quit, I tried to reason. Why are you quitting? For what reason?
This time, I do have a real agenda why I need to quit. It's just sucks really bad right now!

Good luck buddy! I have never smoked but my wife did for many, many years. She quit about 5 years ago using Chantix. And the entire family came out of it intact! haha

I tried the patch, the gum, and the e-cigs and none of those ever helped me.

I put my cigarettes away for good almost 2 years ago, cold turkey....but you have to be ready to quit, it's up to you.

To help with the cravings and withdrawls, I bought a bag of starlight mints (peppermints), they are extremely low calorie and for me they satisfied the oral fixation and the cravings I had.....everytime I wanted a smoke, I had a peppermint.

It's still going to be hard.....the hardest thing you have ever done, but it gets easier after the first 10 days or so.

Hang in there and if you need to talk to someone feel free to PM me.

Thanks Tim! I need to get some of that gum ASAP. I just had a bag of chips an hour ago, now I'm eating skittles. No wonder some people gain weight after they quit.

Good luck buddy! I have never smoked but my wife did for many, many years. She quit about 5 years ago using Chantix. And the entire family came out of it intact! haha

Hmm Chantix could be an option. Any side effects at all when she took it?

Every time you have a craving remind yourself that it is just a habit and think about something else.
The mind is a powerful thing. Don't let your mind dwell on the smokes. Just think of something else.
Replacements and substitutions dont work.
You want to quit because you know you have to or they will kill you. Never forget that.

You can do it. Easy. Just don't smoke. learn to hate the smell.

(I quit over 20 years ago) If I can do it, anyone can.

I won't say good luck because there is no luck involved. You just gotta quit. And cold turkey is the best way!

Good for you man! Very good! Your loved ones will be proud of you!

I've tried to quit before. A lot in fact but never had good reasons to. Yeah, being healthy should be THE reason why people should quit but that never worked for me. Everytime I tried to quit, I tried to reason. Why are you quitting? For what reason?
This time, I do have a real agenda why I need to quit. It's just sucks really bad right now!

Yeah I think it took like the 15th time for me to finally do it for real. I told myself if I ever started coughing I would be done and couldn't make excuses. Good luck though I know you'll be able to do it. The first week was the hardest. I still don't go out to bars because I used to DD and smoke a lot since I wouldn't drink.

Thanks Tim! I need to get some of that gum ASAP. I just had a bag of chips an hour ago, now I'm eating skittles. No wonder some people gain weight after they quit.

That's why I went with the peppermints......they last for several minutes and they are extremely low calorie...and for me, I smoked menthol...so the peppermint flavor helped too.

cold turkey and exercise.........its tough no matter what,,but so worth it......good luck

If you are going to quit smoking (and also eliminate the nicotine), and you have a life insurance policy you got as a smoker, be sure to let the insurance company know so you can get your rate changed to non-nicotine. They usually want you off of it for a year before they make the switch.

If you are going to quit smoking (and also eliminate the nicotine), and you have a life insurance policy you got as a smoker, be sure to let the insurance company know so you can get your rate changed to non-nicotine. They usually want you off of it for a year before they make the switch.

Ah great point. I didn't think about that.

Hmm Chantix could be an option. Any side effects at all when she took it?

She said she had a few crazy dreams but it wasn't an every night thing. Was a little, OK a lot, irritable at times for the first few weeks but I think that would come with any method of quitting.

I didn't realize how bad the smell is. I went on a date recently and she asked me if I smoked. Crazy thing is, I didn't have one for a few hours prior to the date but she still could smell it on me. She said smoking was one of her deal breakers so that was that.
That should be another motivator

She said she had a few crazy dreams but it wasn't an every night thing. Was a little, OK a lot, irritable at times for the first few weeks but I think that would come with any method of quitting.

Yeah, that's my fear. I just hope that I don't snap at anyone. I just need to watch more baseball on TV and snap at the TV instead on a person. haha

Yeah, that's my fear. I just hope that I don't snap at anyone. I just need to watch more baseball on TV and snap at the TV instead on a person. haha

Honestly if it happens just try to explain you are quitting smoking. I know that helped for me because I could be a real POS and I felt horrible after.

Having never smoked I can't help you out, but will be pulling for you to kick the habit

Cold turkey is both the best way to stop and the most difficult. I stopped 5 years ago, tried Chantix and man that made me just one insane SOB. Gave that up, and went cold turkey, sucked for a week. PM me if you need to talk through it!

I know most of you don't know me and don't really care but I'm reaching out to those former smokers to see what they've done to quit this nasty habit.

I've been smoking for 9 years now (at least a pack a day) and I'm trying out this "cold turkey" method. It's been exactly 2 days since I had my last one but I'm really feeling the withdraws right now. What can I do to take this craving away? What did you do that worked efficiently?

I smoked for about 10 years and tried cold turkey. The headaches were too much so I used the patch.

Two weeks and I was golden. Good luck bro!

PS Bruce Campbell is a god and that trilogy rules.

It is easy to quit. I have done it hundreds of time. Lol. But seriously, I have quit smoking and now do the vapor thing. I had previously quit cold turkey and stayed quit for 3 yrs. I wanted a cigarette every day. Your reason to quit just has to overcome the urge to smoke. It is a constant struggle. The vapor thing is a crutch for me. I know that. I rationalize it. I don't use it when I am outside. Only in the car or at home. Good luck

Best of luck. I hope you find what works for you and stick with it. I know it's difficult, but it is so worth it to quit!

Back