Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 816 Double Black Diamond Driver Preview Thead

Great info Dan! I had been looking for a low spin driver that's why I picked up a 2014 Alpha on the cheap to see how it would perform compared to my R11s. There was a huge difference in ball flight and roll out. This one has me intrigued and I hope to get some range time with one in Chicago! Keep it coming Dan!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Great info Dan! I had been looking for a low spin driver that's why I picked up a 2014 Alpha on the cheap to see how it would perform compared to my R11s. There was a huge difference in ball flight and roll out. This one has me intrigued and I hope to get some range time with one in Chicago! Keep it coming Dan!

The '14 Alpha was a seriously, SERIOUSLY good head -- In fact it took a lot of convincing for me to finally transition to the '15 DBD.

I doubt it takes as much convincing for this iteration, especially with the toe core slot.

From reading the information, and looking at the pictures you posted Dan, the design of the 816 sounds like it was just a natural progression from the 815 and I would think that between those 2 heads alone, there would be something that would suit almost everyone that those particular heads are aimed at

I am very interested to see this myself here in the UK when it appears and hopefully (when I give GEO a shout to chase him) I would have had the chance to hit an 815 (not the DBD) so that I can see how different they are but I suspect, like a lot of people, that the GBB would be a better fit for me

Good stuff there Dan. I miss more out on the toe and seeing what this does with the core up and in the toe position will be what I will be paying most attention too.

looking forward to more feedback and updates from you.

Really really great stuff Dan. Thanks for the updates buddy.

Awesome update Dan! I love the way those numbers have been recorded to show how the different settings are affecting ball flight.

Bump for about a page worth of info and an offer to take any questions with me to the course this evening.

Let me know!
Will you put the core high heel and hit some balls there? I know that's a difficult request for ya :)

Will you put the core high heel and hit some balls there? I know that's a difficult request for ya :)

Tonight will be on course so I am going with what I believe to be the best setting (toe side up), but the next range session (probably Tuesday or Wednesday) I'll definitely set the core up in the heel to let you know what I experience.

I think it's important to share my swing profile as I offer some results information. For those who haven't met me, I have a fairly smooth transition and swing at around 109-113 MPH depending on the day and how my timing is overall. For years I have been plagued by high spin, and as a result I tend to lean towards the stiffest X flex shafts to offset some of the big spin I get, Consequently, it has also introduced a rather consistent contact area of the toe side of center, which seems to eliminate some of the extra spin I get on a lot of driver heads. To offer an idea of past drivers, I have been actually gaming one of either the 2014 Alpha, or the 2015 Alpha DBD for the past year or so -- They suit my eye well, and while I haven't spent a ton of time on the monitor, offer the numbers I am happy with.

When I began with the latest DBD iteration this evening, I could tell I was opening the book on some serious technological changes. Two core slots make it fairly obvious, but then again, so does a matte finish and a notably different ball flight and slightly altered sound (more on this in a few days I'm sure).

In fact, it took a minute to realize a couple of very important things;

1 - This isn't the same tech rebuilt
2 - I don't need absolute low-spin-settings to achieve best results
3 - Green Light

I started where my 2015 DBD sits. 8 degrees of loft, with the core dropped downward. The spin numbers were very welcoming in the 2,500-2,800 range, and even the flight was tame for what I am used to seeing. Despite the solid numbers, I really felt like I was "missing" when I was striking the ball, and confirmed contact outside of center and towards the toe. To accommodate the progression and see what the Callaway was capable of, I switched it up to 9* and saw slightly higher launch and spin, but again nothing that would be alarming or avoidable -- Still though, it didn't offer the kind of feedback I really wanted to get out of the head. That "solid" contact sensation.

When I decided to alter the Core into the upwards position, I felt like I had really found the right setting for my swing. With some extra weight closer to that point of contact, the resulting feedback was really, really positive. Even the balls that were not great in overall numbers seemed to present a positive experience in the hands and ears. It is definitely a setting I plan to stick around for a couple rounds to see if that feedback quality adds confidence to my tee game.

Additional settings as well as my gamer shaft were applied to see if I could get better numbers, but it was a struggle. In the central slot, I did not enjoy the resulting feedback much at all. With how I strike the driver head, it's simply a poor result with a notably harder left turn (considering the club says "draw" on it gave me a pretty good idea what was coming). Here's the chart in total, including the average (nothing was thrown away) as well as the best shot I had with each setting.

ShotChart.png

There's a lot to digest, and I plan to play golf a BUNCH this week with the DBD in play, so expect some updates as I go. Please also feel free to ask me questions along the way as it helps to get focused on various thoughts and ideas.

I'm quoting because a) Im late to the party and b) this deserves it.

This is stellar, because the ball-speeds are phenomenal across the chart but you can visibly see when the right weighting setup is hit for Dan's swing/contact and the jump is HUGE. I know some will say huge is an exaggeration, but its not, 2-3-4 MPH in ball speed is MASSIVE. Effing crazy.

Thanks for the bump James. Having the numbers isn't exactly my goal in terms of "this club is going to spin X" but it definitely shows how much my results are being impacted by the simple core/adapter adjustments that are available on the DBD. It was shocking to bring all the data home after swinging basically similar for 100 reps (give or take some bad ones) and see actual changes in something like ball speed. Mind blowing, actually -- And for those who are saying who cares about 4 mph of ball speed. I do. This is exactly what 'dialing in a club' should be producing.

Unfortunately my 9 was cut short tonight by rain, but I did manage to hit one drive straight down the middle of the fairway, so there's plenty to be optimistic for my round tomorrow.

The core will be in the toe and up, with the stock shaft set to either 8* or 9* depending on what I am seeing on the range. I am definitely surprised that a majority of the settings accommodate either a neutral or draw bias option, with little to no attention given to either an open face or fade bias (what I would prefer based on how I drive through the zone). Either way, I think I love a one way miss.

I have a pretty consistent high-heel miss so I can appreciate what this adjustability enables the golfer to do. Just move the sweet spot...whoda thunk.

4mph ball speed is HUGE!

I really like this too, but the first and fifth entries are labeled as if the club was set up the same (8* core in toe down). Typo maybe? Wondering what your real setup was on set five? Averaged 13 yards more carry and 11 more total than set one which is one of the most significant results IMO, given just 1 more mph ball speed.

Last edited:
I like the looks of this one but I'm starting to find out that all the different weights and cores and whatnots really aren't always necessary. I've really enjoyed my XR but I still think I'll have to give this a try.

I really like this too, but the first and fifth entries are labeled as if the club was set up the same (8* core in toe down). Typo maybe? Wondering what your real setup was on set five? Averaged 13 yards more carry and 11 more total than set one which is one of the most significant results IMO, given just 1 more mph ball speed.

A few reasons.

1 - The first grouping was early in my session and my timing wasn't as good as it could be
2 - Being that it was my first time swinging the club, it does take some time to get acquainted

I think the best solution will be to get out there and swing the same settings for a second time and see if the numbers recreate themselves.

Great results with core in toe and up for you. That clearly seems to be the winner for Dan here, which is exciting as that is where I contact a lot.

And that leads me to my point. The adjustability is just amazing. Move the sweet spot towards your contact area/miss a little and the data proves that there are gains. Hard. Real. Data. With a human being. Not a robot (which Dan could be considered during his best days on the course). Hard to argue with that process and results! It's all about getting that club more tuned to you and the gravity core evolution continues to progress in that regard. I can't wait to try this.

A few reasons.

1 - The first grouping was early in my session and my timing wasn't as good as it could be
2 - Being that it was my first time swinging the club, it does take some time to get acquainted

I think the best solution will be to get out there and swing the same settings for a second time and see if the numbers recreate themselves.
Awesome, thanks Canadan. So sets 1 and 5 were set up the same. Yes I do the same with the tons of driver testing I've done and continue to do. Go back and re-test and compare the same configurations numerous times to validate if there are indeed repeatable relationships.

The more i come into this thread the more the look appeals to me.

Gravity Core is it the same as the previous models from Callaway? What happens if you put one In each port? A bit heavier head?

The more i come into this thread the more the look appeals to me.

Gravity Core is it the same as the previous models from Callaway? What happens if you put one In each port? A bit heavier head?

Read over that early info T2G. That is not really the purpose of the design. It's really an intuitive design designed to help people get dialed in for this product.

Dan, AWESOME work once again! Being able to fine tune for your most common miss is a great idea.

Awesome, thanks Canadan. So sets 1 and 5 were set up the same. Yes I do the same with the tons of driver testing I've done and continue to do. Go back and re-test and compare the same configurations numerous times to validate if there are indeed repeatable relationships.

I went back and looked at my groupings, and there were some outliers in set one that caused the big dip in carry and total distance - Including a really poor strike that only got me about 235 in the air.

While I do think it's worth running again to see the numbers, I still think it's a fairly accurate representation -- Just need to adjust that total distance to be closer to the 'best' in that category rather than the average which is being driven down by two poor strikes.

Dan, AWESOME work once again! Being able to fine tune for your most common miss is a great idea.

Thanks! What I think I'm getting at more than playing to my 'miss' is actually playing to my 'hit'

Basically, I tend to hit on the toe side of center, slightly above the middle of the face. I've been doing it for years trying to kill spin and it creates a weaker smash (I would assume) but has also knocked down the spin a ton and allows for a relatively consistent draw. With the '16 DBD in the toe chamber with the core up towards my typical strike point, I received what I believed to be better feedback overall. It's very, very interesting and worth messing with quite a bit more.

Thanks! What I think I'm getting at more than playing to my 'miss' is actually playing to my 'hit'

Basically, I tend to hit on the toe side of center, slightly above the middle of the face. I've been doing it for years trying to kill spin and it creates a weaker smash (I would assume) but has also knocked down the spin a ton and allows for a relatively consistent draw. With the '16 DBD in the toe chamber with the core up towards my typical strike point, I received what I believed to be better feedback overall. It's very, very interesting and worth messing with quite a bit more.

That pretty freaking cool. Your feedback on this one so far has been awesome. It sounds like a heck of a lot of fun to play around with.

Now only if they could figure out a way to have the CG move right before impact to where I am going to strike. I tend to hit all over the face

Back