WWYD? (What Would You Do with this shot?)

For me it honestly depends on the round that I've just had. Am I trying to protect a solid score into the Clubhouse? Have I already pooched the scorecard and just need to finish?
Protecting a good score I hit a layup that takes the water out of play and then wedge on.
If I'm just trying to finish I hit a 4 hybrid dead at the pin. I always push fade the ol' hybrid so it should end up on the right side or short right in a decent position to make par.

Since the center of the green is 240, I'd assume the carry is no more than 225. If it were a regular course, I would probably lay up, but since it is Torrey Pines, I am going for the green every time. It would probably be a 3-wood for me, or a driving iron with a little bit of help from the wind. My round is probably shot by 18 anyway, so it likely wouldn't matter what I would do on the hole.

Heavenwood to 30-40 yards and then my 60* at the flag.

Definitely lay up to about 100 yards. Then I'd try to use the bowl in the green to get it close to the pin.

No way I can reach so its a layup for me. probably taking a 6i and laying up to about 75 yards or so...unless that is too close to the water.

If this is a par 5, and I've skimmed so I don't know, I'm laying up. If it's a par 4, I'm taking 3w, aim at center of green, and I typically hit a fade with 3w off the deck. Sounds like that slope would be just the trick to let my ball run on.

~Rock

I'd choke down on a 3w and take a nice smooth swing at it. This way if I pure it, it's about pin high or just a little past it, but if I miss-hit it a little I'm still carrying the 230 I need to get over the water.

Laying up to 100 yards. I could probably get a 3w there but it's more likely I'd find trouble.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

More than likely a layup to 100 out for me. But if I'm feeling frisky I may take 4w at it

my concern here would be the water. The odds of me greening my 3wood off the deck is just not high at all but this doesn't look like we have much as far as woods or whtever to eat up a somewhat less than good shot that may go a bit errant and I might give the 3w a go here but the water is what bothers me. If all the water was, was a thimble full trust me my ball is finding it.

I am taking my 4 or 5 iron and playing up the fairway with a much higher percentage shot where a good shot and a less than good shot will both still leave me with a pitch on and can still putt for bird (I assume this is a par5?) and I just hit a good drive, now with that good drive lets just give myself a good chance at bird and a great chance at par. I don't need to risk a potential good chance for bird just to try for an extremely rare eagle.

I honestly probably have as much if not more chance at holing my pitch for eagle vs hitting the green with my 3wood and one putting. What I do have a greater chance at than an eagle is ending up in the pond and then I can also kiss the bird away too.

I'm taking dead aim at the bunker with a 5 wood and taking my luck with a bunker shot.

That's a deep 5w. But I like the risk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9i or PW the wedge on hopefully close enough to birdie

For me being a short hitter, I take 5h and hit 150yds down to 102 to the pin and Pitching wedge onto the green.

The same would be my only play, I cannot hit the ball 250 even with a tee.

I fade every club in my bag, so that water isn't (shouldn't be) in play for me. I'd probably take a 3h and hope to kick up onto the green. If not I'm probably either just short or in that bunker and hope my sand game is on that day. I think 3w is too risky as it's probably going over the green after it hits since that's usually around a 240-250 club for me.

I'm seeing a lot of people going for the layup to ~100 yds then wedge into the green. Just using yesterday's conditions, the greens were extremely hard and you had to play for the roll. Also I know this seems like a foregone conclusion but if you had to, how many think they could hit both shots straight? Reason is, rough to the right or left is thick and running thru the fairway into the rough is always a possibility

I wouldn't want to risk hitting into water or the sand - I would hit an easy 6 or 5i down there and have a comfortable wedge in.

Too much trouble to avoid from that distance. I'd take an 8i an lay up to around 100 for a full wedge in.

he hasnt played yet but hes a few yards ahead of you and has the length to get home in 2.

Sounds like a lot of the guys in the Gauntlet this year. Going to be a tough field

I don't have anything that I hit 250+ off the deck and sounds like trouble on the way there. I'd lay up to 100 and wedge in.

I don't have anything that I hit 250+ off the deck and sounds like trouble on the way there. I'd lay up to 100 and wedge in.

Could get lucky by going for it but from that distance I think I'd rather hit a 8 or 9 iron to get to around 100 yards as well.

Go for it! I'd go for it since it would probably be the only time at Torrey Pines!

Distract my playing partner and tee one up...

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

What does it take to carry the pond? If it's 225 or less, I'm hitting my hybrid, aiming at the left edge of the bunker in case I get some draw, happy with a bunker shot or long putt. Tendency to hook the 3W probably keeps me from going there, plus if I hit it on the screws I'm through the back a decent ways.

If it's more than 225 to carry the water, I'm probably laying up to 100ish. Even with firm greens, there is lots of green to work with at the flag.

WWYD? (What Would You Do with this shot?)

From 250 I'm not reaching so I'm thinking layup, preferably short of the water (not sure how far that is). Plus if the greens are firm, what are the chances of holding them with a fairway wood from distance?

My thinking is to eliminate trouble wherever possible. If I must I'll take on some of the hazard to get to a preferred distance. So short(ish) of water and then center of green, one putt, bird. Easy peasy.

My 7i gets me 140-145 yards closer, giving me a comfortable PW to the green. Then hopefully two putt. Of course, with my tee game, I'd be around 300 yards back and I'd have to go 4W and 8i to reach in regulation.

Back