Most Embarrassing Golf Moment

I was in high school when one of our tournaments got called short due to thunderstorms. Anyway, a few people from the team and myself went to Golf Galaxy to mess around afterwards and kill a little time. I was hitting a used, older Adams driver in the simulator. The first swing I take, the club strikes the ball, and the head of the club goes flying off into the simulator screen. Luckily, no damage was done to the screen, but one of my teammates was literally rofl'ing to where the whole store could hear him. I was so embarrassed, but the sales people at Golf Galaxy didn't try to fault me, fortunately.

Playing at Plantation in Frisco TX. Grabbed a 6i instead of a 9i, hit a beautiful shot into the green. It cleared the green, the bunker behind the green, the back yard behind the bunker and took out a kitchen window of a house behind the green. No one was home, left my name and phone number pasted to the window.

The first time I played golf other than Putt Putt. Was is the 8th or 9th grade and a friend and I want to a little pitch and putt course in La Jolla. We knew nothing about golf but were both pretty good baseball players so at least we could swing. The course gave us each a 9i (I think, this was a looong time ago) and a putter. Well we hacked our way around the nine holes and get to the 9th and there is a guy there who shows us how to set up, a little swing coaching etc. So I tee it up for about a 90 yard shot and completely flush it, ball goes about 40 yards over the green, nice and high, hits the street outside the course and bounces through the open second story window of an apartment. We could hear it rattle around inside. The guy that gave us the swing tips and his daughter are literally on the ground laughing and my buddy and I made a quick exit from the course and hit the beach.

A few years ago, my temper and my golf game were both worse than they are right now. I was playing golf with my dad and hit a terrible shot, and probably cursed and then slammed my club against my bag. My dad is a man that doesn't say a lot, but when he does, his words carry a lot of weight. He said to me something to the effect of "you're not good enough at this game to get that mad." I could tell that he was embarrassed at my behavior, and in turn, it made me embarrassed. I have never felt so small as I did that way when he looked at me and spoke those words with that tone. From that day on, I've tried not to get too upset over bad shots because I don't want to embarrass myself or him again like that.

First tee top and firing.

Back in the day when I was younger I played a lot of golf which always consisted of a 12 pack and a bottle of something to chase it down. After experiencing several duffed drives I proceeded to walk over to the ball washer and with a full swing took my aggression out on my driver. When my driver snapped, the end with the head on it helicopter spun about 15yds and barely missed the heads of my dad and step mom who were in the golf cart. Uhhh yeah... "Ooooooops, sorry Dad!" The look he gave me I'll never forget. Probably goes without saying, but that anger not only existed on the golf course but also every other area of my life. But happy to say that it's been almost 20 years since I've had a drink! Also, playing the most enjoyable golf of my life right now.

This actually happened this year to me...

I was teeing off on a Par 5 at a nice course near me. Super nice houses on the course, but on the tee box there is a house probably 50 yards on a diagonal left from the tee box, should never ever in a million years be in play...

I was teeing up and as I made my downswing I slipped and hit it directly in line of that house.. There were 3 very nice cars parked in the driveway and people outside.. I closed my eyes and waited for the sound of glass breaking, but nothing happened. I was beyond shocked. They yelled and asked if I wanted the ball back, and they were very good sports about it all, but it is honestly the most scared I have ever been on a course. A few inches in another direction and I am paying for a ding or a broken window on a very nice car.

I seem to remember a story about you having a push cart roll down a hill and into a stream....

Was eyeing a putt and walking backward. Apparently crouched down on the edge of a deep bunker......yep, feel in head or heals, backwards. I was playing with the head pro, GM and owner of the course. I think they are still laughing

Most embarrassing golf moment? Easy one...

Big couples tourney scramble format. Of course we were backed up with us on the tee and 2 groups right there waiting. I was the big hitter on the team and we had 2 good drives in the fairway. This let me swing for the fences on this wide open par 5. I rare back and take a big rip....well, the big rip that came from my backside was so loud, the group on the previous green heard it and started laughing. Needless to say the shot was no where near the fairway and my face was redder than a ripe tomato. To make things worse, the other guy on my team said to the groups standing there " you might want to wait a few minutes before you walk up here."

I took a 10 on the opening hole of our county am one year. My tee shot (driver..long par 4) hit the tee marker and came back over my head and the heads of about 50 others only to land right against the OB fence behind the tee. I was laying four by the time I got the ball back on the tee box, in front of all these people, most who I did not know.

I stayed the course, didn't withdraw and shot 90 something............at a time I was about a 4 handicap. Over and done on the first swing.

I played in a mixed scramble. I'd played with the ladies club a couple of rounds and had a reputation of "bam bam". I could drive the ball long. Not much else since I was really a beginner, but for some stupid reason I could hit my driver. So when they teamed me up with these guys someone told them. The guys were waiting for me to hit my tee shot and I rolled it 2 inches off the tee. I wanted to hide.

A few years back I played in the Mesquite Amateur. Had a decent round going until I took a 12 on a par 4 at Falcon's Ridge. Looked like a total beginner. Ball in hazard off tee. Drop, shank ball into the same hazard. Drop, not a shank but a dribble into a giant bush. Unplayable lie drop and finally advance into the fairway. A couple more to find the green and then a wonderful 3-putt. Yea, that was fun!

Funny thing was I was the only guy to birdie that hole out of like 100 guys in the practice round skins game the day before. The difference a day can make in golf!

I took a 10 on the opening hole of our county am one year. My tee shot (driver..long par 4) hit the tee marker and came back over my head and the heads of about 50 others only to land right against the OB fence behind the tee. I was laying four by the time I got the ball back on the tee box, in front of all these people, most who I did not know.

I stayed the course, didn't withdraw and shot 90 something............at a time I was about a 4 handicap. Over and done on the first swing.
Would have been a good time to take a stroke and distance penalty haha. I'm guessing you were steaming after that first shot, and didn't realize you could do so.

I somehow managed to hit my tee shot nearly straight BEHIND ME(my 7 o'clock) into the back yard of a family that was outside. The ball missed the family, came a few inches from breaking their window and hit the back of the house with the loudest BANG I've ever heard on a golf course. The embarrassing part was driving the cart up to the homeowner who was just standing there waiting for me, holding the ball in his hand. He was surprisingly nice about it all though..."these things happen," he said. Took a few holes to shake that one off haha.

Ran my remote control push cart into the deepest portion of a lake near a Par 3 tee box. I had just hit my approach shot on the hole and ran the cart up on the next hole tee box. When I hit stop it kept going....right into the lake. The only thing we could see was my putter cover floating on the surface. I slowly came to realize not only my clubs were gone but also my wallet, cell phone and car keys. Fortunately, I was able to get a diver to come out and after putting on his oxygen tank and flippers he found the cart/clubs, tied a rope to them and pulled them out. Besides explaining to all the groups playing the hole what was going on, the most fun was trying to dry out my money with a hair dryer. Oh, and the lake was full of effluent water....

My brother and I got a call at 11:45 to play in a tournament with a 12:00 shotgun start. They met us in the parking lot with a cart and we went straight to our assigned hole. By the time we finished our 1st hole, I had dropped at least 3 or 4 "F-Bombs"; then our host quietly takes me aside to inform me that we were playing in a church tournament and that one of our teammates was the pastor :/

I have 2..

I was playing Pilgrims Oak in late fall, and I decided I was going to hit me tee shot through / over the trees and play it up the other fairway, which would make the par 5 reachable. I swung and really stung the ball - problem is, it hit the tree flush and came directly back at me and lets just say it hit me where no man wants to be hit! The guys I played with, after seeing the expression on my face, decided to play that hole conventionally - and maybe stopped laughing after the hole was done...

The other was on a golf trip to Myrtle Beach. Was playing Tidewater, and there is a two hole stretch on the front 9 that are stunning. I teed off and hit my best shot of the day. After my 2 buddies hit, I take off for the ball, marveling at the beauty. I look back at my playing partners - and I see my friend waving his arms back and forth holding his driver at the tee - I totally forgot he was riding in my cart lol!

I was playing with my dad, my brother and my uncle at my uncle's private club in Minnesota. There was a snack shack out in the middle of the course (I don't remember which hole) and everyone was hungry, so I volunteered to stop and get hot dogs while everyone else went to hit their tee shots on the next hole. I then made the big mistake of putting the hot dogs on the seat next to me in the cart because the drive to the next tee box was short and flat. Of course, I didn't account for a huge bump in the cart path, which was probably 10 feet from the snack shack and which I never saw coming. I instinctively grabbed for the hot dogs, which made me swerve right, directly into the posts and chain lining the right side of the path. Needless to say, the sound of me crashing through two or three of the posts before I could hit the brakes was not a quiet one. Fortunately, the posts weren't damaged and I just put them back in the ground and reattached the chain. But everyone on two tee boxes and a green got quite the show, especially since I did not manage to save the hot dogs, but did manage to cover both myself and the inside of the cart in mustard.

I hit a guy on a par 3, never saw him or his partner. When I was following the ball mid air I saw them walking onto the back side of the green and just then my playing partner goes"I think someone's on the green" . Never had time to yell four. Smoked the guy right in the hip. As you could imagine he was pi$$ed. I felt absolutely horrible and went up there to apologize, buy him as many beers or what ever he wanted, but he wouldn't accept my apology. Granted id be mad too but after someone apologizes multiple times what can you do. He was a total d-bag so I dont feel bad now but at the moment it was pretty embarrassing.

Playing in a scramble with 3 of my best friends, this was 2 years ago so I had just taken up the game after playing for a few years in high school with my dad & grandfather. We were all in some fluffy rough just off of the fairway, being the worst in the group I was hitting first and we had a nice straight shot to the green about 180 out. So I take this MASSIVE backswing, and just swung completely under the ball. It ended up about 5 feet behind me.

Once they stopped laughing, they handed me a beer and said "just keep drinking".

Sadly, that was not the last time I had negative yardage on a shot that didn't involve hitting a tree or rock with my shot...

Mine comes from my junior year of high school. The Vokey wedges had just been introduced and my father bought me a 60* at the beginning of the season. On the first hole of the first match, I hit my tee shot on the par 3 first long...great chance to use the new wedge! I flubbed it into a bunker and got a little angry. I tossed the club at my bag (didn't fling it, but it was moving a bit). The shaft hit the bag square in the center of the tension rod and bounced backwards...right into a pond. I fished it out and haven't thrown a club since.

Give 'em hell!

Easy one for me. Opening tee shot at the Connecticut Invitational a few years ago. I was relatively new to the site, was one of the first groups out and everyone in my group had nailed their tee shots. I had raved on and on about how much I was getting along with the R1 and was playing with the black R1, before it had even been available to the public. I ended up completely whiffing it. The silence was deafening until JB lightened things up by saying, "You give him a driver and this is what he does." Even though that was like a nightmare scenario coming true, I'd rather it happen at a THP event than any where else, that's for sure.

Easy one for me. Opening tee shot at the Connecticut Invitational a few years ago. I was relatively new to the site, was one of the first groups out and everyone in my group had nailed their tee shots. I had raved on and on about how much I was getting along with the R1 and was playing with the black R1, before it had even been available to the public. I ended up completely whiffing it. The silence was deafening until JB lightened things up by saying, "You give him a driver and this is what he does." Even though that was like a nightmare scenario coming true, I'd rather it happen at a THP event than any where else, that's for sure.

I did the same the same thing at the Unofficial Massachusetts gathering..... On video.....on periscope. Fun times.

Back