The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Played a par 3 with my 9 yr old today, we walked 9 and I just worked on clean iron contact. When I think about just rotating my shoulders, I hit the ball straight with good trajectory, but slightly short. When I bring my hands into the downswing, if I catch it right I kill the ball. If I don't, it's slice city. Trying to just remind myself that straight and a bit short is far better than in the trees.

Also worked on my lag putting which is getting better, along with some bump and runs. We were behind the tail end of a tournament, so we had plenty of time to work on shots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pictures from the PNW outing yesterday showed me some ugliness in my swing that I really didn't like. I went to the range today to work on it, starting with quieting my lower body and hopefully turning around my spine instead of swaying. When I actually did what I was trying to do there was a lot of goodness. My lost club to club and half of distance returned. Dispersion improve dramatically - I worked my way back and forth across a green hitting to quadrants.

Played 6 holes before dark. Hit driver several times. Not. A. Single. Fairway... push right, pull left. Just all over the face and the driver swing feels so forced and unnatural. Will keep working

I am finding it almost scary how confident I am with driver off the tee right now. #FairwaysforDays

Early in the season I was hitting a lot more 5 wood, just so I could hit a fairway. Now, after a lot of practice on it this season, there is absolutely no hesitation when pulling driver anymore, even on tight fairways.

Got a bucket in on the range today. Worked on the new hybrid got pretty comfortable. Had a few issues pushing my mid irons, but figured that out after 10 or so swings. I just wish my local public range would open the grass up in the afternoon. Mats stink.

Give 'em hell!

I need some serious range time soon

Met up with Emart tonight on the range. I worked around the bag. Hit mostly wedges initially, the 54 is such a solid wedge, and it's very versatile for me. I hit the 58 a few times, but it's just not a wedge I use very often.

Hit the 2u from the deck mostly just trying to get a good gauge of distances I'm seeing with it. Tonight in a bit of rain I was seeing between 215-220 with his Swing Caddy. Not bad given the conditions and range balls. Typically I was playing this closer to the 230 range. Of the tee the distances go up a fair amount, as I saw in MB. Always fun to hit a range with a THPer

Just fun watching Kevin hit the 2u.

Had to get lie checked on my DFs so didn't do much but beat some balls and work on long game.

Went to the range with my gopro with intentions of posting and asking freddie for help. I mmeidiately saw one issue. I was really sliding off the ball on the back swing. Worked on fixing that and saw immediate results. No more big hooks with irons, better contact with driver. Then went out to play and shot 37 on the front. Let's not talk about the back lol

Weather wasn't good today. Cooler and rainy so no one showed up to the range to work a few hours and no one showed up so I put some work in indoors on the simulator. I was striking it pretty damn well, and have yet to take a day off since being selected for AJ's team in #TheGauntlet. I love having something keeping my drive stronger.

Worked on putting for about 90 minutes today doing nothing but left hand low and looking at the hole.

Im going to try that out on the course for the first time tomorrow. Looking at the hole was terrifying initially, but I feel comfortable with it now. Not sure if it makes me a better or worse putter though.

Went to the range twice today, and committed to really backing off on the power with my irons (except for my 2-iron).

I made it through the bag and felt great. Lost 10-20 yards on my shots...but I'd way prefer to keep the ball in play.

I did take full swings with my driver, 3W and 2-iron though.
I crushed a 2-iron over the end fence today. I didn't see it land, but the 2 guys on either side of me did and started freaking out. They thought I was hitting a 5-iron. I should have let them think that.

Got to the range after work last night for a large bucket and took my time going through it. Still need to work on the driver to tidy that up. I think it's a timing issue but I feel quick with my hips causing a block to the right. When I sync up I absolutely smoke it tho.

Spent a good amount of time working on the long irons. Hitting 3-5 with the 6 then going to the 5 and 4 and starting back at the 6. I was striking it pretty well, but I was hitting it just a hair low on the club face.

After the range met mad dog at the putting green at the cc for about an hour. Did a few different drills and worked on posture and it made a big difference.

My wife and son both went to bed early tonight, so I snuck out to the lighted range for some evening practice. I putted for about 30 minutes, mainly working on putts inside of 5 feet and then working on my speed with lag putting. Then I went and hit 2 buckets, using a sand wedge and 8 iron to work on taking the club back more with the shoulder as opposed to the arms, and then hitting shots with my driver since that has been a huge issue this summer. I figured out that my takeaway with the shorter clubs is pretty deliberate, but my tempo speeds up with the driver and my hands go all over the place with that tempo. So I worked on slowing down my tempo with my driver takeaway, and trying to pause at the top of my backswing so that the lower body could initiate the downswing. Doing that allowed me to hit more shots close to the center of the clubface and it allowed me to control the face angle better as well. Like others, I loved Freddie's breakdown of Rory's swing, I'm trying to integrate that type of takeaway into my swing. It's going to take a lot of work because I'm a very handsy player and my arms tend to dominate my backswing, but I liked what I was seeing by the end of my session tonight.

Hit the range tonight before my volleyball game. Worked on my wedges for a little, really focusing on getting a good turn and making good contact. Started slow but progressed nicely.

Moved through the irons, hitting the 9,8,7,6 and 2 iron. Finished with the driver.

Finished with about 20-25 minutes of putting before heading to my game.

Overall pleased with the range session tonight.

Four hours of practice today - I thought it might rain and lightening, it did not.
Putting primarily, then lots of work inside 25 yds.
Driver shaft testing and feedback as well.
Hitting the ball pretty well, feeling pretty good about the current state of the irons, just have to keep working at driving and short game. Never ending battle...

XR has been weighted so now trying to dial it in. Also trying to practice on my alignment and maintaining proper spine angle thru follow thru. Driver is fun again and actually had an average driver today of 280 yds. Yes it included roll but compared to the 250 total last week it is truly a different club. Now if I could just get irons and wedges to come around I might actually become a golfer

XR has been weighted so now trying to dial it in. Also trying to practice on my alignment and maintaining proper spine angle thru follow thru. Driver is fun again and actually had an average driver today of 280 yds. Yes it included roll but compared to the 250 total last week it is truly a different club. Now if I could just get irons and wedges to come around I might actually become a golfer

Nice. I need to fix my driver issues as well

Nice. I need to fix my driver issues as well
My driver is starting to come around in a big way. Been trying a slow takeaway and keeping my head down on the follow through and it's been solid. Big test will come at Cog Hill Saturday. Strange enough, I've been hooking the crap out of my 4 wood off the tee... No idea where that came from. This game of golf.... Eek!

Had a really weird session last night. Start with my normal routine and was striking the ball great all the way up to 5 iron. Then I got to my 5W and driver and it was like I've never played golf before lol. It feels like it's a timing issue but for the love of god I cannot sync my lower body to my upper body. It just feels like the lower half is already cleared before even starting my down swing causing nothing but blocks to the right and it's annoying lol.

Had a good range session this morning after a horrible rushed one last night. Main focus today was to take the club back and keep weight to the inner thigh of right leg, and keeping head still and not let it slide back. Worked up the bag from pw and had good success. Once I got to driver I had to really focus on the above, when I felt it slip away went back to 7 iron and back to driver. One of the best sessions in a while

Had a lesson this morning, video showed my shoulder turn had gotten flat and was causing poor weight shift and several other issues.

So we worked on fixing it and keeping lower body a little quieter, worlds of difference on contact and flight.

Got work to do but it paid off already today on the course.

Great short game session this afternoon. I spent about 2 and a half hours working on all sorts of short game shots. Started out with about 60 shots from the greenside bunker, then moved on to 25 (tight lie) and 30 (rough) yard pitch shots. Then 60 greenside chips where I placed a quarter on the green where I wanted to land the ball and aimed for that. Was landing it much better as I progressed and even hit the quarter once! Then I took 15 balls and dropped them around the green and worked to get up and down in as few shots as I could with the lot. Got up and down with 13 of the 15! Then I took the small bucket I had and went to the range to hit at the targets 35, 58, 69, 100, and 111 yards away. Ended on a good note as I took aim at the 100 yard sign and hit it with my sand wedge on one bounce.

I haven't practiced short game like that in quite a while. It was a lot of fun and wore me out more than I expected.

Started my morning with putting - first, clock drill at 10', did not move on until I made two of four shots. Then, distance putting from 10, 20, 30, and 40 feet. Three balls, with the goal being everything in two strokes or fewer.
Then, short game area. 35 yd pitch shots, chip shots 5-7 yds off the green, bunker, and 45 yd pitch shots.
At the range, dialed in SW from about 100 yds, then a few 8I and 6I. Driver, to test the ProjectX shaft. Finished with knock down 52* at the 100 yd flag.

Interestingly, Aaron Baddeley was on the putting green when I walked into the pro shop.

Hit the range to get in some familiarity time with new clubs. Hit some wedge shots to warm up and then went pw, 8,6,4 then hit some 3h and 5w shots. Hit a few drivers. Hit 15 balls with my 52 & 56 to 50 yd and 60 yd targets. Finally back to 8i and the hybo and 5w.

Struggled with the hybo a little bit due to tempo issues and losing my spine angle. Happy with how things went and swing felt really good

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back