Is Fowler the Next Kuchar?

fupresti

Former Big Deal
Reaction score
Handicap
Marriage
Maybe I am being simplistic with my comparison, but both guys seem to play the same overall game. Always plays well, lots of Top 10's but never quite closes it out as often as their games seem to indicate they should be able to.

Yes.

Fowler seems different though. He has a propensity to play poorly on Sundays and when he does put up solid rounds someone is always just a bit better. I think Kuchar is far more consistent.

Fowler makes a ton more birdies than Kuch. Problem is he makes a lot more doubles+

If Fowler can ever figure out how to reduce those doubles he'll get in that winners circle more.

Right now, yep. I think he has more talent than kuch though.

This is an excellent comparison at this point. The guy just doesn't seem to be able to finish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fowler’s time is coming

Fowler’s time is coming

Really? Seems to me every year there is a new crop of insanely talented guys coming in increasing parity even more. It's not gonna get any easier to win tournaments.

Really? Seems to me every year there is a new crop of insanely talented guys coming in increasing parity even more. It's not gonna get any easier to win tournaments.

Agree. Unfortunately I think his players victory is gonna be his signature win.

He puts up too many big numbers to ever close out a major I think. I can certainly relate on a much smaller scale.

It's an interesting question.
I feel like Fowler could be the next Kuchar, but he could also be the next Phil Mickelson. That said I think it's way harder to be a late bloomer on the PGA these days because every year a handful of new hot shots out of school show up with their Tour cards these days.

Agree. Unfortunately I think his players victory is gonna be his signature win.

He puts up too many big numbers to ever close out a major I think. I can certainly relate on a much smaller scale.

And what would be Kuchars signature win?

Players Championship.

Yeah, he is too good of a putter to not win one. Anybody that can win The Players is fully capable of winning a major and as I said, just too good of a putter.

Indeed he is. He is also a crowd favorite, much like Kuch. I think he should be very proud to carry that torch.

I think I compare Fowler more to Freddie Couples. Super charismatic, super talented, but treats golf like the game it is. Fans hate that he doesn't have the same drive as other players. He likes winning way more than he hates or refuses to lose. So he's going to have stretches where he just plays phenomenal golf, but he's just as often not going to close out tournaments (the back issues don't help.)

He'll win a major eventually, I think. Eventually the stretch of great golf will intersect with a major weekend.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The tough thing for Kuch is that he lost quite a few years in the prime of his career to a drastic swing change. If he had discovered this style earlier on, I think he would have won more. He never seems to "lose" a tournament. I think Rickie has more upside as long as he stays the course. He makes a ton of birdies and will, maybe, find some more consistency with age. It has to be tough to have all of his best friends other than Smylie winning majors all around him...

I hate to say it, but I think it might have been Johnny Miller or another commentator that mentioned that Fowler is horrible out of the rough. So when he misses in deep rough he has a much higher likelihood of making a big number.

Very interesting comparable as a guy who will rack up top 10s, end up making a ton of money but doesn't win much. I think Fowlers ceiling is higher than Kuchars, but his floor is lower too.

Of fowler can learn to score better in afternoon rounds I think he gets around 15 wins for his career. He is near the top in several categories but hi scoring avg in afternoon rounds is 2 strokes higher than morning rounds

It's looking more and more and more like it, unfortunately. I'm a fan of his and I love what he does for the game and it's fans, but the crop of talent that keeps coming up is insane and the window for him is getting smaller.

Fowler only needs three more wins in the next ten years to match Kuch. He needs 9 more wins with a major to match Couples. I think Fowler will finish somewhere between the two unless he learns how to finish off his good starts. He is still only 28/29. I saw improvement in his game in the last year. He can putt so he can do it.

The results may look similar but I would still say no because I think Fowler has a much higher ceiling than Kuchar ever had.

The comparison looks legit now but Fowler gets at least one major.

If you mean like Kuch, Fowler will wins some more tournaments, marries a great wife and has a fantastic family. Makes a fortune and smiles a lot. Can I sign up too. He is a very good player.

I'm not sure Fowler will ever be able to achieve Kuch's level of #DadSwag

This is a great comparision. Fowler can go lower than Kuch but Kuch is much more consistent.

Back