Martial Arts Forms & Weapons Tournaments

Photon Guy

Reaction score
Handicap
So I was just at a martial arts tournament where I did a weapons form, in this case I used a jo staff, a wooden pole, and I also did an empty hands form. The tournament was fun and I did score higher than I thought I would although I didn't win 1st place like I had hoped to. Afterwards I went to the golf range and hit some golf balls. A great way to finish off the day, hitting the balls and seeing them fly high and far.

I used to practice Tae Kwon Do in middle-high school. Being in a military family, I couldnt stay in one school long enough to attain black belt. I got up to advanced red (one step below brown) before my last instructor was shipped overseas and I never joined another school.

I dabbled in weapons when I lived in Virginia. Learned some basics with the Bo Staff and Nun-Chucks. I still have them somewhere. Unfortunately we moved just as we were transitioning into knife fighting.

So I was just at a martial arts tournament where I did a weapons form, in this case I used a jo staff, a wooden pole, and I also did an empty hands form. The tournament was fun and I did score higher than I thought I would although I didn't win 1st place like I had hoped to. Afterwards I went to the golf range and hit some golf balls. A great way to finish off the day, hitting the balls and seeing them fly high and far.

What style do you practice. I am a Shuri Ryu player and have been since 1998. Very taditional Okinawin Style created by Robert A. Trias. Great day of training and golf.

What style do you practice. I am a Shuri Ryu player and have been since 1998. Very taditional Okinawin Style created by Robert A. Trias. Great day of training and golf.

Right now I am training in Goju Ryu and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. And of course I keep training on my own in my primary style of Shi-to Ryu.

Awesome, where do you live. We practice Sanchin which was created by Goju Ryu.

Awesome, where do you live. We practice Sanchin which was created by Goju Ryu.

I've got dual residences in NJ and PA. The Goju Ryu dojo and the Jiu Jitsu dojo I train at are both located in NJ.

My daughter got a black belt in Kung Fu at age 13. She stopped around the time she was 16 due to health issues but she would do staff, spear and sword forms as well as hand forms. She was nationally ranked with the sword for a little while and we went to events in Boston and DC to compete. I am immensely proud of her. It was great to watch and I have some good videos from those days.

My daughter got a black belt in Kung Fu at age 13. She stopped around the time she was 16 due to health issues but she would do staff, spear and sword forms as well as hand forms. She was nationally ranked with the sword for a little while and we went to events in Boston and DC to compete. I am immensely proud of her. It was great to watch and I have some good videos from those days.

Lots of Kung Fu styles I believe do not have ranking systems and those that do sometimes use patches to symbolize rank although some use colored sashes. So you said she had health issues, why did she have to stop?

Lots of Kung Fu styles I believe do not have ranking systems and those that do sometimes use patches to symbolize rank although some use colored sashes. So you said she had health issues, why did she have to stop?

The KF academy that she want to (Choy Lay Fut based) uses colored belts/sashes to indicate levels of progress from the beginner to upper ranks, though once you got to black belt they started adding "degrees" like first-degree, second-degree, etc. I don't know what other styles/schools use for progress indicators though I saw all sorts of uniforms and sash/belt colors at tournaments.

Her health issues were not related to her martial arts involvement. She's worked through them and is doing pretty well so I hope she goes back to it some day. If/when I get into better shape I definitely want to do this myself.

I hope you have a great time as you go through your own martial arts journey! It helped her a lot as a kid and she made lots of friends.

(Obligatory proud dad photo below, from 2011)

oLLFedS.jpg

Back