Hitting Drivers in the Cold

Iceman!

THPer formerly known as "markm778"
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
First time that I have seen this - Hitting in the cold in England.

Guess I better be careful at Top Golf.

Attachments

• CY7VhOrWYAA4EyH (2).jpg
    CY7VhOrWYAA4EyH (2).jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 0
Yikes.

Ouch! How cold was it?

I'll ask.

Probably not a good idea to hit below 45 degrees. Balls are rock hard and the materials on these clubs are paper thin these days.

That's crazy...

I do know it was a R9.

He said that it made an "Hell of a noise" when it happened. Can you imagine?

This worries me now. Got a new GBB and went golfing today with the temperature in the mid 30s. Club still looks good.

Ouch. That makes for a sucky day.

I've used drivers at or below freezing temps regularly but never had a break like that.

If I had to guess, I would say there was something structurally compromised with that head prior to this happening...

Oh no!

That's no bueno. I normally don't hit balls below 40*. I have never seen a head break like that but have seen the face cave in

I may hit W/S Duo's exclusively until the temps get above 50*, but that could be a while since it's about 18* in the middle of the day today. That's a crazy break on that head though, never seen anything like that.

Holy cracked head!

Ouch! I play pretty much year round, in some real cold - luckily haven't run into that before!

That hurts. R9 with an otherwise clean crown, that was someone's baby...

OUCH! That is painful to look at!

Wow. Never seen a head destroyed that bad.

If I had to guess, I would say there was something structurally compromised with that head prior to this happening...
I would tend to agree with that.

Gotta be a flaw in the head. We hold scrambles until there's too much snow down to play at all, often in temperatures below freezing. I can't recall anyone having a failure like that, and I'd imagine that story would get around the clubhouse pretty quickly.

This is main reason I have winter set.

Back