Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons Review Thread

In case you feel like making a bad decision today...

6ff2365c4d81ad22f4f09e147da9568c.jpg

That credit's only good for preowned right? Or can it be used for the standard Callaway store?

I'm going to be honest, I really don't know what benefits would come from a "self created" combo set other than saying it is a combo set. But, its not something I have ever really understood, factory designed combo sets on the other hand, I get.

How is it any different than subbing out long irons for hybrids?

That credit's only good for preowned right? Or can it be used for the standard Callaway store?

Ah crap it says preowned right there at the top. Never hurts to trade in old unused stuff for when the new shows up on preowned...?

I'm going to be honest, I really don't know what benefits would come from a "self created" combo set other than saying it is a combo set. But, its not something I have ever really understood, factory designed combo sets on the other hand, I get.
Totally agree. And especially in these where only some clubs have the Cup Face, it can lead to some big gapping issues. Not to mention having to bend lofts to match which jacks with bounce and such. Just KISS. The Apex are so, so good in every way, I don't see a need to go "Pro" in any way. Heck, Clive75 didn't even get the Pros...

I've been purposely trying to avoid this thread as much as possible. I could resist no longer, and read several pages...

I didn't think I'd see the day, in a long time, where I'd want something else other than my current Apex irons. I love them. Leave it to Callaway to take something that didn't really need to improve, and improve it anyway. I can't wait to see/try these in person. Better start saving...

So after another shirt demo session (15 balls with these and the pros) I had my fitter place an order for these 4-pw with pxi 6.0

So after another shirt demo session (15 balls with these and the pros) I had my fitter place an order for these 4-pw with pxi 6.0

NICE! I've got a funny feeling we are going to see/read a lot of this as time goes on.

I can honestly say I'm most excited to be fit into these in December for #TheGrandaddy. I know I want the CF16, but everything else, length, lie, shaft material, shaft type, flex, is something that I know I DESPERATELY need to go through and be properly set up for. Whats crazy is to think that this is PART of the whole event. It still blows my mind, and I know it will forever.

So last night I had the chance to demo the 7-iron and all they had in a F4 Recoil was the 680 so I figured why not try it.

Man oh man did they take my ONE complaint about the previous Apex and fix it completely. I loathed the feel of the original Apex as it felt very clicky and thin even on well struck shots.

The added elastomer they tout does its job. They feel perfect, just slightly lighter off the face then the XR Pros I currently play. They also look smaller then my XR Pros heel to toe so I loved that as well. I put about 40 balls off that setup and its nuclear. The ball flight is amazing, if only slightly higher then I would want but I think thats more shaft then head. There is a Callaway demo day this weekend near me and I really want to see what it looks like with a Recoil 110 to bring the flight down but unless its problematic I think these are going to be added to the bag. They took the best part of the Apex and the XR line and it's just delightful. The club just feels right from waggle to shot.

I still can't believe I am making the move to graphite irons but I could'nt be me more ecstatic.

I can't stop thinking about these irons. I know hitting into a screen isn't the same as hitting on a course, but the look, feel, and performance of these yesterday has me really excited. Knowing they will be even more dialed in come December from a proper fitting, I'm just so anxious.

So last night I had the chance to demo the 7-iron and all they had in a F4 Recoil was the 680 so I figured why not try it.

Man oh man did they take my ONE complaint about the previous Apex and fix it completely. I loathed the feel of the original Apex as it felt very clicky and thin even on well struck shots.

The added elastomer they tout does its job. They feel perfect, just slightly lighter off the face then the XR Pros I currently play. They also look smaller then my XR Pros heel to toe so I loved that as well. I put about 40 balls off that setup and its nuclear. The ball flight is amazing, if only slightly higher then I would want but I think thats more shaft then head. There is a Callaway demo day this weekend near me and I really want to see what it looks like with a Recoil 110 to bring the flight down but unless its problematic I think these are going to be added to the bag. They took the best part of the Apex and the XR line and it's just delightful. The club just feels right from waggle to shot.

I still can't believe I am making the move to graphite irons but I could'nt be me more ecstatic.

Good grief this excites me more.

I can't stop thinking about these irons. I know hitting into a screen isn't the same as hitting on a course, but the look, feel, and performance of these yesterday has me really excited. Knowing they will be even more dialed in come December from a proper fitting, I'm just so anxious.

I'm excited to SEE you guys get fit for these, it makes me smile thinking about it. Will be weapons for #TeamRedemption!

I hit the 7i again today. These clubs are filthy.

#Apexification2pointOHMY

Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons Preview

Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons Preview

It will be awesome to swing these under the observation of a professional fitter in December at the Grandaddy. I love my current Apex and the recoil shafts, but I wasn't fit into them. They were "given" to me from a friend for a price I couldn't refuse. So, I always wonder if there is a better shaft combo out there for me. One of things that excites me the most about getting fit in December is figuring out the shaft and head combos that work best for me.

Sent from my iPhone 6 plus using Tapatalk

So i was just doing some Grandaddy set up pondering and of course these irons are at the top of that ponder. But i got to thinking about a combo set and if it would be possible. Say i went CF 4-6 irons, with cup face technology and added distance, wouldnt that create a huge gap between the CF 6i and the Apex Pro 7i? Im just thinking out loud here but input is welcomed

You could do Apex cF 4-6, and pro 6-pw.

You could do Apex cF 4-6, and pro 6-pw.
nothing could be more internet golfer than having two of the same irons in your bag because one is "at least a full club longer"

NICE! I've got a funny feeling we are going to see/read a lot of this as time goes on.

I can honestly say I'm most excited to be fit into these in December for #TheGrandaddy. I know I want the CF16, but everything else, length, lie, shaft material, shaft type, flex, is something that I know I DESPERATELY need to go through and be properly set up for. Whats crazy is to think that this is PART of the whole event. It still blows my mind, and I know it will forever.

the fitting part there will be off the chain. To get the experts to get you dialed on on all of that will be fun. I know from previous fittings what work and what I like (KBS Tour, KBS ctl, projectx and pxi, recoils). I went with pxi as they are lighter than the the project x. I was debating recoil 110 but wasn't ready to jump up to that price point.

i agree that we will see more of this. I liked the pros but that added forgiveness and some added distance were hard to pass up, especially since the looks weren't that big and the sound/feel were fine. I think a lot of people will gravitate towards these.

It will be awesome to swing these under the observation of a professional fitter in December at the Grandaddy. I love my current Apex and the recoil shafts, but I wasn't fit into them. They were "given" to me from a friend for a price I couldn't refuse. So, I always wonder if there is a better shaft combo out there for me. One of things that excites me the most about getting fit in December is figuring out the shaft and head combos that work best for me.

Sent from my iPhone 6 plus using Tapatalk
Plus 1 on this, I have never been fit for anything and as much as this will be the first iron I will run at arms flailing to swing, I also want what the fitters tell me is best for my game, maybe it'll be the best of both worlds. Without a doubt though, these will be swung.....with big smile!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

No matter how many times I read it and talk about I still can't believe that in less than two months we will be going through this. Truly an unbelievable experience.

I can't wait to be fitted for these.

*grain of salt* I swung this 7i at a Golf Galaxy in their simulator with a Maxfli Practice ball and XP 95 R300 shaft. But if even kind of translates to real life, then I will be a happy Internet golfer.

27fefc30d8f45ba3d5897cf52804bdcf.jpg

These look awesome. I'm just waiting for last generation Apex to drop in price now! ;-)

What I can say, I don't think the XR Pros are little. I think they have some heft. Looking down at the Apex CFs made me think how similar they look, to me, to the XR Pros.
Ugh. Now, as I sit here and think about my day, I'm second guessing myself. I really like the Pro's profile. but I love the cup face.

I want cup face all day long, even though it ends at the 7 iron I will take that forgiveness 7 days a week, can't wait to get a swing with these, definitely need to get a taste before December!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Ugh. Now, as I sit here and think about my day, I'm second guessing myself. I really like the Pro's profile. but I love the cup face.

I think you know in your heart that the cup face is the way to go.

Back